Thread: Matheny Retires

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Matheny Retires

Giants announced the retirement of catcher Mike Matheny.
    We're assuming he's going to get paid anyway. Matheny, who was told he shouldn't play again due to post-concussion syndrome, was entering the last season of the three-year, $10.5 million contract that Brian Sabean gave him after 2004. Matheny was a Gold Glove defender for most of his career, but he hit just .239/.293/.344 in 3,877 at-bats over 13 seasons. Knowing he was unlikely to play this season, the Giants signed Bengie Molina to a three-year deal earlier this winter.
    We knew this was coming and it couldn't happen to a better guy. He was absolutely great with the glove and with his teammates. I hope the Giants keep him in the organization somehow, maybe in the Minors as a coach. He has so much to teach young catchers. Goodbye to the first GG in Giants history.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Sorry to see him go. An extremely productive catcher behind the plate and a great guy. Certainly could help out any catchers in the bigs with their defense.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Wow that sucks, concussions can be a ***** though, he did great for us behind the plate for limited time he was with us, best of luck Matheny! Your presence will be missed!

MLB ERA
    I loved Matheny in Toronto, and was hoping he would make a comeback but thats too bad he can't
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I am sorry to see him go. He has been a very good defensive catcher for many years! I bet he will get a coaching job and be a manager someday.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    My fondest memory of Matheny is when he was with the Brewers and took a fastball to the face. Did he go down? Absolutely not! He put his head down and went to first. The SOB was so ****ing tough!!!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I remember that and I was very impressed with his toughness or stupidity! j/k!! He was a throw back player that is for sure!!!!

MLB ERA
    I didn't see him play much but I know he was a great defensive catcher. I didn't know about the ball in the face accident. I might look that up if I can't remember about it. Do you know which game, year, etc?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

UMMM.. I can't say that I remember any of that information at this time. It didn't have that much effect on me to remember other than saying ouch, that has to hurt when I saw the hgighlight!

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Too bad he was forced into retirement...he was a gamer for sure....nothing spectacular, but reefer was right on....he was a tough SOB....good luck in your next life TM
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres