Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Bonds failed amphetamine test

MLB ERA
    No.

From what I gathered off Fisher's post, it's not a roid.

In lamens terms, it doesn't help you grow muscle faster, it just helps you not get tired.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

By a scientific definition, I have no idea. And FWIW, I mostly described anabolic steroids in the post.

As for a more general, baseball definition, it's most certainly a performance enhancing drug that was recently banned with the new, stringent punishments (when it jumped to 50-100-Lifetime, Amphetamines were added). But as for a steroid, no. As Leo said, steroids help you build up while amphetamines help you be aware enough to use 'em.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    It just helps your stamina than.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    So how come its illegal then?(I dont want to sound that i'm defending bonds, I alsp want to know out of curiousity for my own knowledge)

Because based on fish's post, it would make sense for older adults to take it, especially Bonds, or am I wrong?

Basically. At least over a short-term span. Kind of like coffee (well, caffeine) or meth (methamphetamine) or Adderol. It's illegally abused but does have limited legal uses in treating some afflictions.

MLB ERA
    Everyone should play the game the natural way, not use something to better there stamina or anything else.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

It's illegal in baseball for the same reason steroids are: the players are taking an illegal dosage of them (by law) to gain an unfair advantage in the game. Additionally, too much of these (with the way they are abused, it happens) can cause physical and psychological problems and the MLB wants no part of that.

There are reasons to take amphetamines and the ability to do it legally exists in cases where a person has ADHD/narcolepsy/depression and the psychiatrist/doctor thinks it to be a solution.

From what I gather, it'd be like if a person stole prescription drugs. They have legal uses, but what they did is illegal.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    There are reasons to take amphetamines and the ability to do it legally exists in cases where a person has ADHD/narcolepsy/depression and the psychiatrist/doctor thinks it to be a solution.
    Adam LaRoche takes an illegal substance with the approval of MLB for ADHD.

MLB ERA
    This was just on Mike & Mike just now. I couldn't hear it because I'm at work and we need someone in the office giving us updates on stuff.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Did you guys not take drugs as a teenager? Amphetamines are just like a speed and is no way like a steroid. This could attribute to Bonds success in the second half but let's not confuse this with Bonds alleged steroid use. This could easily be a false report or an over the counter drug.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Amphetamine (alpha-methyl-phenethylamine), also known as speed or crank, is a stimulant, and club drug, used to diminish the appetite, control weight, and treat disorders including narcolepsy and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. It is also used recreationally and for performance enhancement (these uses are illegal in some countries).
    Illicit production and use of amphetamines occurs on a widespread basis in several European nations, typically in the form of amphetamine sulfate synthesized from phenylpropanolamine. [citation needed] In addition, because of the widespread use of amphetamines as a treatment for narcolepsy and ADD/ADHD, prescription amphetamines are subject to diversion and are one of the most frequently- abused drugs in high schools and colleges. [citation needed]

Effects of use
    Amphetamines release stores of norepinephrine and dopamine from nerve endings by converting the respective molecular transporters into open channels. Amphetamine also releases stores of serotonin from synaptic vesicles. Like methylphenidate (Ritalin), amphetamines also prevent the monoamine transporters for dopamine and norepinephrine from recycling them (called reuptake inhibition), which leads to increased amounts of dopamine and norepinephrine in synaptic clefts.
    These combined effects rapidly increase the concentrations of the respective neurotransmitters in the synaptic cleft, which promotes nerve impulse transmission in neurons that have those receptors.

[edit] Physical effects

• Long-term abuse or overdose effects can include tremor, restlessness, changed sleep patterns, anxiety and increase in pre-existing anxiety, poor skin condition, hyperreflexia, tachypnea, gastrointestinal narrowing, and weakened immune system. Fatigue and depression can follow the excitement stage. Erectile dysfunction, heart problems, stroke, and liver, kidney and lung damage can result from prolonged use. When insufflated, amphetamine can lead to a deterioration of the lining of the nostrils.

[edit] Psychological effects

• Short-term psychological effects can include alertness, euphoria, increased concentration, rapid talking, increased confidence, increased social responsiveness, nystagmus (eye wiggles), hallucinations, and loss of REM sleep the night after use.
    • Long-term psychological effects can include insomnia, mental states resembling schizophrenia, aggressiveness (not associated with schizophrenia), addiction or dependence with accompanying withdrawal symptoms, irritability, confusion, and panic. Chronic and/or extensively-continuous use can lead to amphetamine psychosis, which causes delusions and paranoia, but this is uncommon when taken as prescribed. Amphetamine is highly-psychologically addictive, and, with chronic use, tolerance develops very quickly. Withdrawal is, although not physiologically threatening, an unpleasant experience (including paranoia, depression, difficult breathing, dysphoria, gastric fluctuations and/or pain, and lethargia). This commonly leads chronic users to re-dose amphetamine frequently, explaining tolerance and increasing the possibility of addiction.

[edit] Addiction

Tolerance is developed rapidly in amphetamine abuse, therefore increasing the amount of the drug that is needed to satisfy the addiction. [citation needed] Many abusers will repeat the amphetamine cycle by taking more of the drug during the withdrawal. This leads to a very dangerous cycle and may involve the use of other drugs to get over the withdrawal process. Chronic abusers of amphetamines typically snort or resort to drug injection to experience the full effect of the drug in a faster and more intense way, with the added risks of bacterial and viral transmission, vein damage and higher risk of overdose.

[edit] Legal issues

• In the United Kingdom, amphetamines are regarded as Class B drugs. The maximum penalty for unauthorised possession is three months' imprisonment and a £2,500 fine.
    • In the United States, amphetamine and methamphetamine are Schedule II controlled drugs, classified as a CNS (Central Nervous System) Stimulant. A Schedule II drug is classified as one that: has a high potential for abuse, has a currently-accepted medical use and is used under severe restrictions, and has a high possibility of severe psychological and physiological dependence.
    Internationally, amphetamine is a Schedule II drug under the Convention on Psychotropic Substances.[2]

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    In other words, this is not a big deal but is against the rules.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Did you guys not take drugs as a teenager? Amphetamines are just like a speed and is no way like a steroid. This could attribute to Bonds success in the second half but let's not confuse this with Bonds alleged steroid use. This could easily be a false report or an over the counter drug.
    I think we already covered this in conversation.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    What? That you guys didn't take drugs?

MLB ERA
    Lets not also forget its the NY Daily news, and we know credible of a source they are.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast