Thread: Giants Interested In Zito, Sexson and Ramirez

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Interested In Zito, Sexson and Ramirez

The Giants have talked to agent Scott Boras about free agent Barry Zito, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
    It's interesting that the Giants would consider Zito when they haven't displayed the slightest interest in keeping Jason Schmidt. It seems doubtful that they'll be among the high bidders for the left-hander, but staying in the Bay Area may appeal to Zito.

The Mercury News believes the Giants would have to send Noah Lowry, Jonathan Sanchez and Brian Wilson to Washington in order to pull off the rumored three-team Manny Ramirez deal.
    That's most of the quality young pitching in the organization right there. If the Giants were willing to do that, the Nationals could send both Chad Cordero and Felipe Lopez to Boston, with Ramirez going to San Francisco. Still, a deal is considered a long shot.

The Giants also looked into acquiring Sexson from Seattle or Dunn from Cincinnati, either of whom would be a legitimate threat as a cleanup man. The Giants also need someone to hit third. So far, Rich Aurilia, whose contract was finalized Monday, is the best option. The Giants prefer an upgrade.
    The Giants have to do something big here. Its not like the other teams in this division have done anything "big". Dodgers got Pierre and Wolf, the Padres trade Barfield for question marks, the Diamondbacks got Davis and the Rockies got Latroy Hawkins so no team has really goneout and made a splash. We have just gotten older. Sexson would be welcomed with his powerful right handed bat providing some real 30+HR and 100 RBI numbers. The Giants should be willing to go 6 years with Zito in the NL considering he has never missed a start. Plus playing in the Bay area might have some pull, along with the money which the Giants have. If they really want to win one for Barry, who looks to be playing left even though they are far apart on a contract, Zito is an ace that could lead them there. Zito, Cain, Morris and Lowry is a good, balanced rotation. Plus what would be bad about having Zito, Cain and Lowry in your rotation for years to come with guys like Linecum a few years away. Ramirez is no better than Bonds in left so I will have to say no on that. Yes to Sexson and Zito, no to Ramirez.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Add Gagne to the list.
    Some teams want Gagne to ease back into the closer's role, the source said, but Gagne wants to resume closing immediately.

Gagne, 30, is recovering from back surgery. He pitched in only two games last season, also missing time with elbow trouble.

The Red Sox, Reds, Braves, Indians, Giants and Phillies are among the teams that continue to pursue bullpen help.
    I have Gagne on the "Dream Team" thread. I also had Molina

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Wow. Is this a real possibility or a dream getting these players. Or the Giants just teasing the fans?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    A source told MLB.com that the Mariners had interest in a potential three-way deal that would net them Tim Hudson and Adam LaRoche from the Braves and send Richie Sexson to San Francisco.
    The Braves would get Rafael Soriano from Seattle and Armando Benitez from the Giants, which sounds like a pretty terrible deal for them. Soriano would be a fine acquisition, of course, but Benitez's salary gives him negative value. Substitute Benitez with left-hander Jonathan Sanchez and second baseman Kevin Frandsen and maybe there's the potential for a deal.
    Looks like Sexson is a possibility and Gagne is not far fetched what so ever. Zito is quite the dream but the Giants do have the money to get him. Depends on if they have balls or get outbid. Gagne is welcome since he will be cheap and only wants a one year deal.

AA ERA
    The potential 3-way deal involving Boston, the Giants, and Nats will have to be re-worked if the Nationals were in turn were going to send Felipe Lopez as a part of a package with Cordero being that the Red Sox have apparently signed Lugo to play SS. Although, I am almost wish we had been able to acquire Lopez rather than paying Lugo $36 million over 4 years.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Zito would be nice, assuming we dont get Schmidt.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I see that the Yankees may have some interest in Sexson now too! Wonder who will get him?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox34
    The potential 3-way deal involving Boston, the Giants, and Nats will have to be re-worked if the Nationals were in turn were going to send Felipe Lopez as a part of a package with Cordero being that the Red Sox have apparently signed Lugo to play SS. Although, I am almost wish we had been able to acquire Lopez rather than paying Lugo $36 million over 4 years.
    Cordero? Hmm...he's really the best pitcher realistically I've heard mentioned.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Maybe they will move Lugo or Lopez to 2B? The Sox need infielders too, or am I having another momentary lapse of remembering?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Red Sox have rookie Dustin Pedroia so they want to give him the job at second.

AA ERA
    Yeah, so far Lugo will be a lock at SS and Pedroia at 2B, atleast heading into spring training.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Rangers confirmed that they've made an offer to free agent Barry Zito.
    Texas previously denied reports that they had offered Zito a six-year, $102 million contract. They might not yet be that high, but it seems doubtful they could land him without going to nine figures. The Westchester Journal News indicated today that Zito could visit with the Mets sometime this week. The Mariners and Giants are also in the running for Zito, and it's believed the Angels haven't ruled out making a bid.
    I think the Giants have a slight edge over the Rangers or Mariners. Sure Barry likes Washington as their head coach but Barry could stay in the Bay and lay in a much more suited ballpark for him to succeed. Giants and if they get Zito, they can afford to trade some of our younger pitchers for a slugger.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Does Zito even have any say where he will play next year, I mean come on, Boras is his agent and $$$ talks and perfomance and ballparks and all the important stuff walks. Boras doesn't care, IMO, what his clients stats are, just what their paychecks are!!!