Thread: Giants@Mariners June 16/18

AA ERA

Mariners Giants@Mariners June 16/18

Friday, June 16 Safeco Field | 7:05 PM PT
    Noah Lowry, LHP (2-4, 3.50)VS.Felix Hernandez, RHP (6-6, 4.94)
    Scouting Report:
    Lowry made two mistakes with his changeup in his last start on Saturday, and the Pirates punished them both for solo homers in a 2-0 Giants loss. The young lefty has lost four of his last five starts despite lowering his ERA from 4.11 to 3.50 in that span. He has never pitched against the Mariners.
    Hernandez turned in his best all-around outing of his career on June 11 when he earned his first complete-game victory by allowing two runs on four hits with nine strikeouts (and no walks) against the Angels. Hernandez got a lot of mileage out of his curveball and fastball.

Saturday, June 17 Safeco Field | 1:05 PM PT
    Jason Schmidt, RHP (6-2, 2.46)VS. Gil Meche, RHP (6-4, 4.46)
    Scouting Report:
    The Giants ace is coming off what passes as a substandard start for him lately -- five hits, five walks and five strikeouts over six innings against the Pirates on Sunday. He gave up two runs, one unearned, but lacked the command of his fastball he had shown in his previous start when he fanned 16 Marlins to match a 102-year-old Giants franchise record for strikeouts. Schmidt has never faced Seattle.
    Meche struggled with his command on June 10 against the Angels, walking four in five innings, but benefited from an offense that scored eight runs while he was in the game. Meche allowed two runs in those five innings with three strikeouts.

Sunday, June 18 Safeco Field | 1:05PM PT
    Jamey Wright, RHP (5-6, 4.48)VS.Jamie Moyer, LHP (3-6, 3.80)
    Scouting Report:
    Wright has had little run support in two recent outings, including a 2-1 loss to Arizona last Tuesday, when he went seven innings, and a no-decision at New York where he yielded only two runs over eight frames. But his cutter and fastball have been on target lately and he has shown detractors that he can be consistent.
    Moyer didn't get much offense -- actually, he didn't get any offense - in his last start on June 13 against the A's. Moyer allowed two runs on eight hits over six innings but was tagged with his sixth loss of the season. Moyer kept his pitches down and kept the A's mostly off-balance.

AA ERA
    Giants head north for Interleague action
    San Francisco (34-32) at Seattle (31-37), 7:05 p.m. PT

Game Preview:
    They've been friends since elementary school, but this weekend, when Giants outfielder Jason Ellison and Seattle utilityman Willie Bloomquist renew acquaintances at Safeco Field for a three-game series of Interleague Play, they will be rivals.
    But maybe secretly rooting for the other guy.

Ellison, a star player at South Kitsap High in Port Orchard, Wash., combined with Bloomquist to lead the team to an amazing 23-0 record, the Class AA state title and a No. 15 national ranking in 1996.

"I saw Willie on Sunday night when Seattle flew in to play Oakland and hung out," said Ellison. "We never played against each other in pro ball. Obviously, we played together in high school and summer leagues, Little League and Babe Ruth ... this will be a fun series."

There is a special bond between the men. When Ellison's family broke up and he was essentially on his own, the Bloomquist clan invited him to live with them. It was a blessing, and it might have changed Ellison's life forever.

It gave him stability, a place to call home, and Bloomquist told the Seattle Times this week it was a move that had to be made.

"I said, 'Shoot, we have an empty house, you can come stay with us if you want.' I talked to my folks. They always liked Jason," Bloomquist said.

Returning to his roots will be uplifting for Ellison, who envisioned himself playing Major League ball someday.

"I was a big Mariners fan growing up," said Ellison. "It's my first time back there [as a big leaguer] and there's a ton of people coming out to support us."

One catch for Jason, however.

"If I was playing every day, it would probably be a good experience, but hopefully I'll get a start there. Since I've been in pro ball, a lot of my friends haven't seen me play."

Ellison lives in Issaquah, Wash., during the offseason, but this trip will still be special.

"It's where it all started for me," said Ellison. "It's nice to go back and let everybody else see what I'm doing now."

The two teams haven't met since 2001, and the Giants hold a 9-7 advantage heading into the series.

San Francisco left-hander Noah Lowry will make his first career start vs. the Mariners. He pitched a three-hitter over eight innings in his last outing, but two of the hits were homers, and the Giants lost, 2-0.

Pitching matchup
    SF: LHP Noah Lowry (2-4, 3.50 ERA)
    Lowry is 2-4 with a 3.63 ERA since being activated off the disabled list with an oblique strain. He has worked at least six innings in six of seven starts.

SEA: RHP Felix Hernandez (6-6, 4.94)
    Hernandez turned in his best all-around outing of his career on June 11 when he earned his first complete-game victory by allowing two runs on four hits with nine strikeouts (and no walks) against the Angels. Hernandez got a lot of mileage out of his curveball and fastball.

Player to watch
    Pedro Feliz continues to rip the ball consistently. He went 4-for-5 and drove in six runs with a three-run homer, two singles and a double on Thursday vs. the Diamondbacks.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Bonds vs King Feliz should be a sight to see!

AA ERA
    Yep looking foward to tonights game.

AA ERA
    Rewind: Giants vs Mariners, Game #1

Noah Lowry has been pitching real well since he came back for the Giants, but tonight was his first rough outing. He was countered by Felix Hernandez, who went strong but did give up some runs of his own.
    The Mariners struck first. In the bottom of the first inning, hot-hitting Ichiro Suzuki smacked a lead off homerun to right field. After two back-to-back singles by Adrian Beltre and Jose Lopez, Mike Morse hit a sacrifice fly to make it a 2-0 game.

The Giants got those two runs back in the top of the second inning when Barry Bonds swatted a homerun out to right-center field, closing the lead within one. The third batter of the inning was Steve Finley, who lined a shot over the right field wall, making it a tied game.

At the top of the third, Randy Winn lines one over the right field wall making it a 3-2 game. However, that lead was short-lived as the Mariners took the lead for good in the bottom half of the inning.

Raul Ibanez sent a double to left field, and scored on Mike Morse's double. Kenji Johjima also doubled to left field to knock in Mike Morse from second. Willlie Bloomquist singled to drive in the third run of the inning, but Bloomquist was thrown out trying to stretch his single to a double. Barry Bounds threw a seed to Ray Durham, who tagged Bloomquist to end the inning.

In the forth Pedro Feliz doubled on a liner to left. Mark Sweeney followed with a bloop double to center, but that was all the damage the Giants had planned in the batter's box.

Lowry only went three innings, surrendering five runs on eight hits. Brad Hennessey came in to relieve Lowry in the fourth, and went on to pitch four strong innings, only giving up two hits and a walk. Jeremy Accardo pitched the ninth for the Giants and had a 1-2-3 inning with one punch out.

For Seattle, winning pitcher Hernandez went six innings and gave up the four runs on six hits. Eddie Guardado went two-thirds of an inning and gave up two walks on one strikeouts. Alfonso Soriano pitched one full inning for the Mariners, and J.J. Putz finished out the game to get his 11th save of the season.

With all the long ball hitting in this game, the Giants still where unable to dig out a win in Seattle.

SFDugout's Player of the Game: Brad Hennessey pitched four innings of shut out ball to try to pick up his teammate. He also included a nifty pick-off move to add to yet another impressive outing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Giants lost the series to the M's which really pisses me off. When our ace gets creamed and we can't score against Gil Meche, I just want to punch someone in the face! Wright is on the mound today and is behind 2-1 in the 3rd. Ellison is getting the start in RF and has homered. We need Wright to go deep in this game and to get us a win.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Now its 3-1 in the same inning and Wright has already thrown 55 pitches. M's have 3 SBs already through 3 innings

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    4-1 in the 5th as Beltre just homered.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    On a 3-2 count with a runner on and no outs, Winn hits into a DP with Bonds on deck. This is the reason rallies never get started for us. The people in front of Bonds have to know the situation and you never can hit into a DP with Bonds waiting. They have to get on base and stay on base for the whole Bonds/Alou thing to work!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Then Bonds strikes out for the second time!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Giants got swept by a terrible team and we fall under .500!! Now we get to play the Angels!

AA ERA
    This series sucked ass!!!!!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants666
    This series sucked ass!!!!!
    Oh, I beg to differ.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    Oh, I beg to differ.
    That's it just rub it in