Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benitez has Giant issues to resolve:Closer unhappy

AA ERA

Benitez has Giant issues to resolve:Closer unhappy

Time For this ****ing B**** to get the **** off are team, ****ing baby...........We don't need to hear him B**** and moan all the time.............TRADE HIM and let Acardo close games....cause ****ing FAT BOY SUCKS ASS

Armando Benitez: “You don't respect me, it's a big mistake - a big mistake. Because I've been in the playoffs more than anybody here. I've (played for) better teams than this. ... I'll bet (if) you send me to another team, I'd be better.”

SAN FRANCISCO — Armando Benitez is unhappy with the Giants and fed up with what he perceives as excessive criticism from the club's broadcasters.
    In an animated conversation with this newspaper last weekend, Benitez referred specifically to an on-air comment made by announcer Jon Miller, hinted at problems within the clubhouse and expressed some second thoughts about his decision to sign with the Giants before the 2005 season.

"I'm sick about this, about being judged by people who don't know who the (heck) I am," Benitez said. "I signed here because I thought it (would be) different. No, it's not what I thought. And not only me. A lot of people here."

Benitez is 4-0 with a 1.88 earned-run average and four saves, numbers that on first glance would indicate a strong season. He also has blown three save chances, stranded just one of five inherited runners and walked 10 in 14 innings.

Benitez met with manager Felipe Alou after last Tuesday's victory, in which Jeremy Accardo warmed up during the ninth inning of a one-run game. Jason Schmidt eventually struck out the side to finish it.

Benitez was not happy with that move — "It's bull," he said, but insisted he has no issues with Alou and understands the paucity of save chances this season is not something the manager can control.

More troubling to Benitez is what he perceives as a prevailing negativity within the

organization."It's a bunch of (junk)," he said. "This (deleted) team is not going to be good like this. If it doesn't change, it's going to be (messed) up. ... It's like we never do something right. They only want to put you down on the ground, make you feel dirty and make you feel bad."

While not specifically calling out teammates, Benitez made it clear he does not feel supported within the clubhouse.

"I don't give a damn if guys in here have confidence in me," Benitez said. "I know what I can do. You don't respect me, it's a big mistake — a big mistake. Because I've been in the playoffs more than anybody here. I've (played for) better teams than this.

"I'll bet (if) you send me to another team, I'd be better. Other teams know what I can do."

Teammates said while Benitez can be difficult, the group remained solidly behind him.

"It's disappointing to hear he feels like that," said first baseman Mark Sweeney. "We all try to support him in our own way."

Benitez was booed by the home fans when he entered Thursday night's game — likely the fallout from a blown save the previous weekend in New York.

"I want to put this in the paper: all the guys who boo me, I want you to go do my job," Benitez said. "You go warm up four times in the bullpen, sit down, come back, warm up again in the rain and the cold and go in the game, and try to do your best."

Benitez pointed out the Giants came back to win the game he blew in New York. In fact, the team is 11-3 in his 14 appearances. Benitez entered this year with a 85.9 percent save success rate, fifth best all-time.

"You don't need to kiss my ass," he said. "Just look at the numbers."

Benitez also feels he did not receive credit for his diligence last year, when he beat recovery estimates from major hamstring surgery and converted 15 of 17 save chances down the stretch.

Benitez has fumed ever since a game at Philadelphia the first week of May, when he said he heard Miller describe the bullpen as "terrible." At the time, Giants relievers had the highest bullpen ERA among NL clubs.

"Jon Miller, all the people who work for the Giants, work on TV, say a lot of (stuff), say the bullpen is terrible, and then they come to the clubhouse like nothing (happened)," Benitez said. "I say put on a uniform and play. I bet you get your ass kicked."

Miller, who has known Benitez since his rookie year with the Orioles, understood why the closer might be frustrated given his lack of work and his health issues in two seasons as a Giant. Miller did not recall making the comment that set off Benitez.

"Maybe he's right. Maybe it was inflammatory," Miller said. "I don't remember because it was six weeks ago. I can't say one way or the other. But I can say I'm hopeful we're seeing Armando back to what we hoped he would be when we signed him.

"Right now, he is throwing the ball harder and better than at any time with the Giants. I think that's a good omen. All he needs is regular work."

Benitez was portrayed as overly sensitive during his years with the Mets, when he blossomed as the closer under manager Bobby Valentine but struggled in playoff games.

"Closers are sensitive people," Alou said. "They know the line of survival is very, very thin."

Alou acknowledged the problem of finding work for Benitez, who began the season on the disabled list with an inflamed knee.

"There has not been a stretch of leads to get him going," Alou said. "But right now I see a guy throwing twice as good as he did last year. He is throwing 94, 96 mph.

"We look around, and we have kids with good arms, but Benitez is the closer of this team. I'm not going to make a move to hide him. He's the guy. He has to do it."

Benitez does not want a trade. He only wants the ball and to be respected.

"I'm here, and I'll do my job here. That's it," he said. "I don't like to lose, and I don't like to play stupid games. This is a good team, but we gotta be real men."

Sounds just like the immature Benitez. He was always this little twit with the Orioles, and then with the Mets, thinking he is better than he actually is. Fact he, he is, numerically, one of the best closers. However, he is not good in pressure games, he just wilts, and that looks like his problem in San Francisco. You guys are best to get rid of him.

AA ERA
    Benitez is 4-0 with a 1.88 earned-run average and four saves, numbers that on first glance would indicate a strong season. He also has blown three save chances, stranded just one of five inherited runners and walked 10 in 14 innings.
    and that doesn't mention that he's given up 14 hits..........I hated the signing, never a big fan of fat boy.................cause he CHOKES in big games $*** just look at the Mets series and this ****ing guy is under contract for next season too.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I don't think Accardo is ready but if we can get something very nice for Benitez, I don't mind him leaving especially if he is going to act like this. I can't think of a team that really needs a closer though!

AA ERA
    ARZ............ATL............KC.............There 's more that's just off the top of my head.............AcCardo is are future closer so why not......better than seeing Benitez struggle everytime out there.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    AZ is probably out the question since they are in our division. KC will have MacDougal back soon or at least should be. Haven't reallyheard an update. In fact, I think he should have been back already. ATL is a possibility but who would we get in return? LaRoche? Accardo could turn into another Tyler Walker and I don't really want to see that when we are still in contention.

AA ERA
    Even if we did trade Benitez we either have to pay alot of his salary or pick someone with a big contract............Benitez contract----2006/signing bonus pays him 2.6 mil and his salary is 4 mil........and will finish off paying his signing bonus in 2008/09 where he gets 1.6 no signing bonus for this season. Then his salary for next year would be 7.6 mil.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Yeah its a real shit twister. All we can hope now is that he quits acting like a ***** and goes out there and actually gets a 1-2-3 inning for a change.

AA ERA
    Only if Sabean would've held up for a year and signed Billy Wagner.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    If the Reds get desperate, they could use a Benitez! They are 14th in bullpen ERA.

AA ERA
    Even the Tigers would be good.......Then Todd Jones can be the set-up man.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    If the Reds get desperate, they could use a Benitez! They are 14th in bullpen ERA.
    the only Reds with big contracts are Griffey and Dunn.

Atlanta doesn't trade for douchebags.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    Kolb?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast