Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants grab Huskies hurler Tim Lincecum

AAA ERA

Giants grab Huskies hurler Tim Lincecum

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants selected right-handed pitcher from the University of Washington as their first pick in the First-Year Player Draft on Tuesday, the 10th pick overall.Lincecum is relatively undersized in an era of tall hurlers, but at 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds, he has been compared to Houston's Roy Oswalt in pitching effectiveness, and he led the Pac-10 in strikeouts over his career.

The Giants also had the 33rd pick overall, given as compensation for losing lefty reliever Scott Eyre to the Chicago Cubs, and they took Kent State shortstop Emmanuel Burriss. San Francisco's second-round choice went to St. Louis for the acquisition of pitcher Matt Morris.

In addition, San Francisco has the 89th pick in the third round, pick No. 116 in the fourth round and the 146th selection in the fifth.

Written by:
    Rich Draper is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    Does anyone know anything about this guy?

MLB ERA
    Tim Lincecum/ UWashington/ RHP- An undersized right-hander, turned down going pro as a draft-eligible sophomore and it's paid off. He's skyrocketed to the top of the first round thanks to a dominating junior season. The PAC-10 career leader in strikeouts, he has an unorthodox delivery, leading some to worry about durability. He's got a plus fastball and plus, plus curve, leading some to compare him to Roy Oswalt. If put in the pen, he could help a big league club out this season. This guy should be our first pick.

Reminds me of Mark Prior for some reason.

MLB ERA
    I really wanted the Padres to draft him, but I did realize it probably would not happen.

This guy could start, or even pitch in September if your team is still in contention.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He's got his downside (can he stay healthy with his delivery? will he end up a reliever?) But when his control is on, he has wicked stuff and like Rufio mentioned, he is quite close to being ready. I had him at about 5 on my draftboard, so I think at 10 he's a good pick for the Giants and one who can impact sooner than later (which obviously is a good thing if you guys are in the playoff hunt at the end of the season.)

MLB ERA
    2nd best player in the draft.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I was really hoping for a position player but this guy sounds decent enough for me. If he can throw a 97 mph fastball then break off something around 78 mph like Oswalt, I'm a ****ing happy guy!

Here's an article about him

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/N...t=.jsp&c_id=sf

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Sabean will trade Cain and Lincecum to the Twins for catcher Mike Redmond.

AAA ERA
    DirtyKash... Thats not even funny! It is not nice to make the Bear Sad!

AAA ERA
    Reefer... This sounds to good to be true! Now we have to sign him and that will take a few bucks I am sure but if he is that close the pitching look very good from here!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Sabean has been good at getting his guys signed so we should all be good in the hood.

I've heard good things about this guy.

Seattle Sports Radio was pissed the Mairners didn't take him being he's a Husky and all.

AAA ERA
    Well why did they pass on him? There must be a story behind that!

I have no idea with all the pissing and moaning that was going on I turned off the radio.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    Well why did they pass on him? There must be a story behind that!
    Control and unorthodox delievery is my guess.

AAA ERA
    Well alot of pitchers have been very good with unorthodox delivery and his control is not that bad. There might be more to this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast