Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giants grab Huskies hurler Tim Lincecum

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    Well alot of pitchers have been very good with unorthodox delivery and his control is not that bad. There might be more to this?
    Don't worry Bear he's only 19, there's plenty of time to work with the kid on his delivery.

Not muych more. I thnk MainersFan87 pretty much summed up what the concerns were. At least that's what people in the MARINERS ORGANIZATION ARE SAYING ABOUT HIM TO SOME OF THE SPORTS MEDIA. Damn caps lock!

AA ERA
    Man I just found we gave up two draft picks for Tim Worrell

Quote Originally Posted by Giants666
    Man I just found we gave up two draft picks for Tim Worrell
    Brilliant.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I project there is a good chance of him landing in the pen, but that doesn't mean that's a bad pick if he turns out to be the right-hander version of Billy Wagner (he has the stuff potential and even the small height going for him). Trust me, I'd rather have him then Drew Stubbs, wanna trade?

It's not a bad pick at all. A lot had Lincecum 1 or 2 on their draftboards.

AA ERA
    And a ****ing 2nd round pick for Abraham Nunez??????WTF???????????

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I project there is a good chance of him landing in the pen, but that doesn't mean that's a bad pick if he turns out to be the right-hander version of Billy Wagner (he has the stuff potential and even the small height going for him). Trust me, I'd rather have him then Drew Stubbs, wanna trade?

It's not a bad pick at all. A lot had Lincecum 1 or 2 on their draftboards.
    Yep, I've heard alot of good things about him............Like he might be in the pen later on in the season. But yeah......being compared to Billy Wagner and Roy Oswalt, it sounds good to me

AAA ERA
    If he is with the club this fall in the pen or in the rotation its all good.We can just hope at this point.

AAA ERA

Giants think they got real deal S.F. selects Washington's Lincecum

- John Shea, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006

The Giants are expected to set a club record for the biggest signing bonus given to a drafted player.

That's what they're in for after selecting one of the top-ranked college pitchers in the country Tuesday.

Tim Lincecum of the University of Washington led the nation with 199 strikeouts and would be seeking a bonus well above $2 million. The most the Giants have paid for a top pick is $1.875 million, given to pitcher Jason Grilli, who was taken fourth in the 1997 draft and traded two years later as part of a package for Livan Hernandez.

"Where we picked, (signability) doesn't really matter. It's going to cost some money," said Dick Tidrow, vice president of player development. "It's not like we were picking 24th or 25th. We were picking 10th, and there's a sum of money that has to be there."

The Giants, whose first-round track record hasn't been stellar, believe they've got the real deal -- the hard-throwing Lincecum was 12-4 with a 1.94 ERA in 22 games (17 starts), averaging 14.3 Ks per nine innings -- and are willing to pay the price. Last year's No. 10 pick, Cameron Maybin, a high school outfielder out of North Carolina, got $2.65 million from the Tigers.

Lincecum is represented by the Beverly Hills Sports Council, and Dan Horwits, one of several agents at the firm, said negotiations would begin within the next couple of days. "Hopefully, we'll get him out playing soon," Horwits said.

Lincecum was drafted in last year's 42nd round by the Indians, but the sides didn't come close to an agreement, and Horwits said, "Nothing got serious." Now that Lincecum is a junior, he's at his peak earning potential, even though he's not the prototypical big-money pitcher based on his small size and unorthodox delivery.

Although Lincecum says he's "a legitimate 6-foot" and the Giants list him at 5-11 (and 170 pounds), insiders say he might be closer to 5-10 or 5-9. His windup is unique, rocking back more than the standard, but he threw a lot in college and avoided injuries.

Once signed, Lincecum would report to Salem-Keizer, the Giants' rookie-league team, but Tidrow said the pitcher would ease into pro ball with limited pitch counts and extra rest between starts. Despite speculation that Lincecum could be available to the Giants by season's end, perhaps, as a reliever -- "I'd love to," he said -- Tidrow seemed more cautious, saying, "He's thrown a lot of pitches and struck a lot of people out. We're going to slow that down a little bit."

This is the first year since 1997 the Giants have had a top-10 pick. They picked Kent State shortstop Emmanuel Burris with their sandwich pick (33rd overall, compensation for losing Scott Eyre to the Cubs). A switch-hitter, Burris batted .360 and stole 42 bases in 44 attempts. The Giants' next pick came in the third round -- left-hander Clayton Tanner from De La Salle High School.
    It sounds like the Giants will pay this guy whatever it takes. It also sounds like they will take there time with him so it may be next year before we see him. Anyway if he is as good as his press clippings, I can't wait!!!

AA ERA
    Yep good pick-up............only time will tell.

AAA ERA
    We could have used him today. Why send a kid down who could have started to bring Worrell back?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Wilson is not a starting pitcher.

AAA ERA
    According to some reports he has been and want to again. Hell he could have done no worse than what the pitchers did today. JMO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12