Thread: Giants Sign Affeldt

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Sign Affeldt

The San Jose Mercury News reports that the Giants have signed free agent Jeremy Affeldt to a two-year deal.
    No word on terms yet, but if Affeldt is signing this early, it must mean the Giants offered him close to $5 million per year. Affeldt deserved better than a one-year, $3 million contract when he was a free agent last winter, but he held out for three years initially and watched as teams inked other lefties to deals. He entered this winter looking like a better investment than most of the other southpaws available.
    Affeldt at $5 million per year is a bit much so I will have to see it to believe it but I am glad its only a two year deal. Affeldt gives the Giants a good left-handed reliever who has had two good back to back seasons out of the pen and improving. Affeldt now moves to a pitcher's park which he should benefit from. The Giants first move was to address their biggest need, the bullpen. The Giants aren't bogged down with his contract if he doesn't pan out to be the 3.33 ERA pitcher he was last year. The Giants are only getting started. I am sure Matt Cain is somewhat pleased with this acquisition. I am right there with you Matt!

MLB ERA

Re: Giants Sign Affeldt

Well, you base it off the market, and Marte just got THREE years and 4 mil per. I'd take Affeldt over him, so the Giants probably got stuck paying at LEAST 4 mil per, and more likely closer to the 5. The only lefty(non-closer) I view as more valuable(on the FA market) than Affeldt is Beimel, and he's rumored to be asking for 5+ mil per.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I guess I can live with it since its just a two year deal, which I love. Affeldt is a big upgrade (I find this very odd to say) over what the Giants had last year. Taschner had a 4.88 ERA and Hinshaw is too young to be sure of what he can do after an impressive pro debut with a 3.40 ERA. Affeldt is 30 and his control has been improving each year. He had 80 K's in 78 IP last year. Affeldt and Hinshaw from the left side and Valdez and Romo from the right side setting up Wilson is a vast improvement. Giants aren;t done yet though. I am just glad the Giants are striking first which will could help influence other free agents to come like Furcal or Hudson.

MLB ERA

Nice, I wont go bononkers if its a 5m, we needed a solid lefty in the pen and this might be a sign of good things to come, now lets get Furcall and another arm, and we should be good to go for 09!

MLB ERA

I wish you guys luck in the FA Market, but if Omar is able to get at least one pitcher early, you'll have your hands full trying to pry Hudson from the team he's said he'd like to play for...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Two years, $8 million is the final word. I am very happy with that and glad it was only $4 mil/yr and not $5 mil.

In regards to Hudson, I am sure you are talking about the Mets, ljshorty?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Keith Law's Blog on the deal:
    ESPN - Keith Law Blog

Law and I agree, we love this deal.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Two years, $8 million is the final word. I am very happy with that and glad it was only $4 mil/yr and not $5 mil.

In regards to Hudson, I am sure you are talking about the Mets, ljshorty?
    Yeah, he's said he'd like to play for the Mets, it was reported all over the place very early in the offseason. The talk is that if they somehow move Luis Castillo it's a lock that they'll go big for Hudson, otherwise they're just in the fight for him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Castillo will be hard to move.

MLB ERA

Agreed, but multiple teams have considered it(Arizona for Byrnes and KC for Guillen), so while it's not guarantee, the Mets will continue trying. And like I said, the Mets will still be big time contenders for Hudson anyway....it's just a matter of how quickly he wants to sign(if it's before the Mets sign a pitcher, they won't have time to focus on him).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Well hopefully Hudson is a closet Grateful Dead fan and loves the 49ers I prefer to have Hudson over Furcal.

MLB ERA

Haha, either one would be helpful to your team. I love Hudson, and hope he becomes a Met, but I don't count on it.