Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GM For the Day!

MLB ERA
    "Same value" meaning "they will want to get a return equal to that of the return they got for Beckett."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    OK so far we have two saying the Marlins will take it, one saying they won't and one saying the Giants are giving too much. And it wasn't just Beckett, it was Lowell too and no way they are the same value as Feliz, Linden and Hennessey, I'm sorry. Ramirez wasn't viewed as ready or else he would have played. Sanchez could be good but we don't know.

AAA ERA
    Are you seeing the same Feliz that I am seeing? If this keeps up he alone may be too much! (Just Kidding) But the trade still looks like to much to me. Through in two additional players and get Willis too! I do like this debate! Kid...Blame me all you want. I am just a young guy with a idea!

Lowell was only in there to dump salary and nothing else. The Sox got exceptionally lucky that Lowell is now hitting the ball well again. The trade was for Josh Beckett and the rest was filler from the Marlins, to get rid of salary (in guys like Mota and Lowell). There's a reason they loaded up on first basemen (Snow, Choi, etc.), it was so if Lowell sucked, Youk could go to third and Snow/Choi could take over first.

McKain, I have to disagree with you on the assessment of Hanley. On any competent major league team, he is in AAA at best right now. In a full year at AA (his first full season), he put up a paltry .720 OPS (it is a pitchers' league though) with a .271 .335 .385 line.

And the Marlins should want more back for Cabrera than Beckett. He's simply a more valuable player. From what I see, for Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell (who was primarily a salary dump), and Guillermo Mota, they got (according to Baseball America) the #30 prospect at the beginning of 2006 (Hanley Ramirez), and the #40 prosepct at the beginning of 2006 (Anibal Sanchez), along with a decent Jesus Delgado. If I'm the Marlins, I accept nothing less and I want more.

If the Giants can grab one of the elite, young players in the game in a deal that includes a 30 year old utility man, Todd Linden, and Brad Hennessey and not even give up ONE prospect who was in their own Top 10...hats off to Sabean.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Sanchez is the #40 prospect rght now according to BA? Jesus. When the hell did that happen?

I see Hanley as ready coming into the year because:
    a) He was very good defensively in the minors
    b) He really is not expected to be a power threat, and the low SLG is a little less important to him than some other type of players.
    c) He showed great speed.
    d) He hit for contact pretty well at every level he went to.

But it's just as easy to argue against him.

'sall good.

As of late February, he was.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...res/26660.html

He was 52nd on Dayn Perry's List (it says it was posted in March, but it has Shoppach as a Red Sox, so...)

He was 33rd on Ian Levin's list (Scout.com), and 35th on the Rotoworld/FOXSports compiled list.

MLB ERA
    Crazy shit. I totally missed that, I thought he was still off of it.

AAA ERA
    Guys, Feliz at the moment is no utility man and his stats are not far off from Cabrera. Give this guy some props.JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    Guys, Feliz at the moment is no utility man and his stats are not far off from Cabrera. Give this guy some props.JMO
    Feliz BA-OBP-SLG Line:
    .282-.304-.503

Cabrera's BA-OBP-SLG Line:
    .324-.432-.566

Not far off? It's about 200 OPS points off.

Here are Cabrera's Similar Players through 22 years of age (via BR.com)
    1. Hank Aaron (954) *
    2. Frank Robinson (952) *
    3. Orlando Cepeda (938) *
    4. Tony Conigliaro (930)
    5. Mickey Mantle (930) *
    6. Joe Medwick (925) *
    7. Hal Trosky (925)
    8. Ken Griffey (922)
    9. Albert Pujols (921)
    10. Cesar Cedeno (916)

Here are Feliz's Similar Players through 30 years of age (via BR.com)

1. Robert Fick (968)
    2. Russ Davis (959)
    3. Greg Norton (955)
    4. Jim King (948)
    5. Art Shamsky (948)
    6. Mike Blowers (947)
    7. Jim Lemon (943)
    8. Craig Paquette (943)
    9. Scott Brosius (940)
    10. Casey Blake (936)

Feliz most similar career player? Casey Blake. Cabrera's most similar career player? Hideki Matsui. And there are a lot more players like Feliz than there are like Cabrera.

I like Feliz, he's a capable starter on some teams, he's a versatile fielder with some pop. But he's nowhere near Cabrera. Not even in the same galaxy.

AAA ERA
    Please remember no one is saying that Feliz is equal to Cabrera! The purposed deal included two additional players who are not chopped liver. The problem is some people dismiss Feliz as a utility player when he is not. Hall of Fame? NO! Very good Player? YES! JMO

Gotta admit Feliz has been bringing it the last two weeks. Before that I was wondering.

AAA ERA
    Feliz is a very sound player who is underrated. Now that he has a position to call his own I feel we will be able to judge the real Pedro Feliz.

You better be right, buddy!

AAA ERA
    Tne chances of that are 99.99%!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    Tne chances of that are 99.99%!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast