Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GM For the Day!

AAA ERA
    We are all waiting Kid! It takes you longer to figure out the rotation than it takes Alou!!!

Maybe it's because I'm not a Giants fan, but am I missing why this Hennessey/Feliz/Linden thing is such a bad deal for the Giants. I see it the other way. One of the top, young, cheaper hitters in baseball (from what he's shown) for a 31 year old utility player with a career 255-290-440 line, a decent looking young OF with some nice minor league lines and no major league success, and the Giants top draft pick of 2001? Three decent to good players (Hennessey is looking nice) for Cabrera? Hell, it took two Top 50 prospects (Sanchez and Ramirez) to get Josh Beckett, and his price will be lower than Cabrera. Maybe I'm just missing it.

(Note: I am not being sarcastic, I plead ignorance on the Giants farm system. I've heard good things about Brad Hennessey, but I don't know much.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AAA ERA
    Fishercat...You are right Cabrera is a great player and there is disagreement about this deal with the Giant diehards but for the sake of argument look at it from this point of view. 1.) Feliz is playing a very solid 3B in his first full year at the position. He has very good power and even though I would like to see him hit for higher average he has a shot at being one of the tops at 3B in the league. 2.) Linden is a top prospect who many in baseball feel is just a step away from being a major impact player. 3.) Hennessey, if coached along can be a better than .500 pitcher and possibly a No.1 down the road. These are not junk players and all three may be a very high price even for Cabrera. That said would I die if this deal is made? NO. This is just food for thought. JMO

Note: Your post was not taken as sarcastic and was well thought out!

MLB ERA
    Linden is not a top prospect.

That deal would be killer for the Giants and the Marlins would be idiotic to accept it; there may be some decent value there, but it's certainly not enough for a 23 year old manbeast.

AAA ERA
    McKain... Just your opinion! Thanks for your thoughts.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The deal would be killer for both sides. The Marlins don't have a good OF and Linden could help both defensively and offensively. Feliz is a better third baseman than Cabrera defensively and can hit 20 HRS and drive in 80+. Linden has the same potential. Then you add a guy with more experience than most of the rotation in Florida. More importantly which you guys always miss is that you are getting three players for the price of one.

MLB ERA
    Three mediocre players who aren't particularly young and with medium ceilings for one great one.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Its all about the $$$$$. Look at all the mediocre guys they got this offseason.

MLB ERA
    and they weren't getting them in exchange for a twenty three year old player who is already one of the top 5-7 players in the NL.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    No it was just one of the best pitchers in the league!

MLB ERA
    Ugh, I keep forgetting Beckett was a Marlin.

They got a great MLB ready prospect at a weak position, they dumped a ton of salary through Lowell, and Sanchez is a decent prospect. They got value there; they aren't getting value if they deal Cabrera for Hennesy/Feliz/Linden.

Giants

First let's emember this is a hypothetical trade that Reefer made up based on Bear's question.

There is no substance to this (it's not evenn an Internet rumor) idea so I don't know why we're getting all worked up.

I blame it all on Bear.

Meanwhile the Giants continnue to hammer the Astros....7-1.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Hanley Ramirez was not viewed as MLB ready by Red Sox own scouts or by the early Marlin scouts so that's not true and his stock dropped. They are getting the value since Cabrera wil get Pujols type money next year which is the whole reason the trade talks are happening with him and Willis. Of course this is all made up but I cannot see why the Marlins would not do this. Instead of prospects, why not get MLB players who are still developing. Linden and Feliz could replace Cabrera's production for half the cost. The logic makes no sense. You can get two All Stars for a couple of decent prospects but you can't get one with three decent players?

MLB ERA
    At the time of the deal, Hanley was basically an AAAA player, making him pretty damned close to MLB ready. He was also one of the top 15 prospects in the league, and was 22 at the time of it.

The Marlins have set their precedent for trading a top 5 player at a position - one great prospect with some decent guys to fill in. None of Hennessy, Feliz, or Linden are great prospects, it's just three decent guys. It would probably take a deal involving Cain to get the same value for Cabrera they got for Beckett.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    They got the same value as Beckett and Lowell? Now you are just talking crazy. You have an opinion!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast