Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: This & That

AA ERA
    Notes: Accardo leaves it in the past
    Giants reliever remains focused on next appearance

Jeremy Accardo has an 8.44 ERA over his last 18 outings but feels extra work over the All-Star break will get him back on track.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Giants pitcher Jeremy Accardo knows the most helpful "skill" a reliever can have is short-term memory loss.
    When something bad happens, you delete it from your hard drive and move on.

He has done that successfully -- he had a quick, scoreless inning vs. Milwaukee on Tuesday night after a blown save on Sunday against Philadelphia -- but another facet of learning the bullpen game is learning about yourself as well.

Accardo (1-3, 4.99 ERA) is only 24 and loves to pitch, but after great success earlier in the season, logging a 2.11 ERA in 16 appearances from April 25-June 4, he hit a rough patch, and there were concerns the hard thrower might be wearing down.

Over his last 18 outings, he's had a disappointing 8.44 ERA (15 runs in 16 innings) and that forced Accardo to not take his young, strong body for granted.

"I had to take some time off," he said, "and the All-Star break was good. It helped me work out some kinks. It's just me not knowing my body. Sometimes, I don't need to throw before a game -- I can just throw during it and save my pitches for the game."

Accardo says his arm can tire sometimes after pitching on consecutive days, and while it feels good, there's no oomph behind his throw, no real snap. Then, you have to ask for a day off.

"I think it's not so much overwork as not being in shape," said Accardo. "Once you get tired, you can start developing bad habits, get stuff in your shoulder or elbow.

"But I'm learning how to manager my body, noticing I may need to run for 30 minutes. You have to learn what your body can do and can't do."

Emergency man: Outfielder Steve Finley is way down the list as the "third left-handed first baseman," according to manager Felipe Alou, but the veteran Gold Glover admits he's been practicing "a lot" at the position.

Just in case. With Lance Niekro back in the Minors, rookie Chad Santos is the backup to utility man Mark Sweeney. In case of injury, though, Finley might play there.

"The hardest thing over there is picking up low throws and stretching off the bag at the right angles, and waiting long enough to put yourself into position to catch the ball," said Finley.

"But practicing and playing in a game are two different things," he said.

Linden at leadoff? Alou decided Wednesday afternoon's contest against the Brewers was the perfect time to let Todd Linden get a start, but it's the first time the outfielder batted first for the Giants.

"Get on base and score a run -- that's the plan," said Linden. "I figured with the day game today, the guys need a rest and I'd be in there against a left-hander [Milwaukee's Doug Davis]. When I saw I was at leadoff, I had a grin on my face."

Alou said normal leadoff batter Randy Winn needed a rest, so Linden got the call.

"Maybe he'll go 4-for-4," said Alou. "I had Winn playing, but one of the coaches told me it would be a good day to play Todd. We needed to give him a game to keep him sharp."

In his first at-bat on Wednesday, Linden drilled a single to center, went to third on Omar Vizquel's base hit and scored on Finley's sacrifice fly.

Link sausage: When you're a little guy racing against the big fellas, you gotta get a jump on things -- that's what Brendan Fallon did in Tuesday night's race against a hot dog, a bratwurst and Polish and Italian sausages after the sixth inning at AT&T Park.

The competition, featuring people dressed in the culinary specialties, is a tradition in Milwaukee, but the racing sausages also go on the road.

The costumed, pint-sized Fallon, termed a "weenie" by the KNBR broadcast crew, took off from the starting line a bit early, much to the dismay of the considerably larger hot dog, who caught up and passed Fallon at the finish line, swerving to cut him off.

"I tried to lunge for the tape, then fell," laughed Fallon, an AT&T Park parking attendant who still raised his arms in triumph after the, uh, competition.

Coming up: Left-hander Noah Lowry (4-6, 4.58) takes the hill for the start of a crucial four-game divisional clash against the San Diego Padres at 7:15 p.m. PT on Thursday night at AT&T Park. He'll be opposed by Friars right-hander Chan Ho Park (6-5, 4.49).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Shea Hillenbrand was designated for assignment yesterday and the Giants need to pursue this as hard as they can. He is hitting .301 and has 12 homers and 39 RBI. He has played in the West before and would be a huge pick up for the Giants while splitting time with Sweeney and would give Feliz some rest as well. Just a thought and I think a good one.

AA ERA
    Good hitter, won't take much to get him, since being DFA..........he's a hella better defensivly at first base than at third where he's a butcher. We sure could use a #3 hitter a he seems to be that guy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Giants optioned LHP Jonathan Sanchez to Triple-A Fresno.
    Now it looks like the Mike Stanton trade is actually going to hurt the major league club. Despite 12 walks, Sanchez had a 1.37 ERA in 19 2/3 innings of relief for the Giants. This would make more sense if there was more time remaining to get Sanchez stretched out and have him come back and contribute as a starting pitcher. Had the Giants not turned him into a reliever back in May, he might have been ready to replace Jamey Wright by now.
    He is doing better than Stnton but we shall see what is in store for this kid in September.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Jonathan Sanchez pitched five innings of no-hit ball Tuesday for Triple-A Fresno.
    If Brad Hennessey hadn't pitched so well against the Padres, perhaps Sanchez would have been up to join the Giants' rotation this weekend. As is, it looks like he'll have to wait. He is a sleeper in NL-only leagues.

Giants recalled infielder Kevin Frandsen from Triple-A Fresno.
    Frandsen is beginning a fourth stint with the Giants after batting .210/.290/.226 in 62 at-bats during the first three. He should be up for good this time, but it would take a Ray Durham trade or an injury to Durham or Omar Vizquel to make him worth owning in NL-only leagues.
    Giants designated infielder Jose Vizcaino for assignment.
    Diminished range in the field was even an even bigger problem for Vizcaino than his impotent bat. He was hitting .210/.304/.261 in 119 at-bats, and he's no longer much more than an emergency option at shortstop. A contender might want him around in September, but he shouldn't be on an Opening Day roster next year.
    Good to hear Sanchez is going so well and how Vizcaino stayed with this team so long I will never know. Oh yeah, Alou had something to do with it. Frandsen should have been here a while ago.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    According to ESPN Deportes, the Giants have signed 16-year-old Angel Villalona to a minor league contract with a $2.1 million signing bonus.
    Villalona, who is from the Dominican Republic, was considered one of this year's top international prospects. Maybe it will look like a complete waste of money a few years from now, but it's nice to see the Giants making a big investment in a young hitter. They don't have a lot of offense on the way up.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Oakland Tribune reported Friday that the Giants have signed another teenage sensation. The paper reported that San Francisco inked 17-year-old shortstop Julio Izturis, the brother of Major Leaguers, Cesar (who plays with the Cubs) and Maicer (Angels).
    Robbing these cradles might just pay off.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Lance Niekro will be called up when the rosters expand on September 1.
    `We're going to play him a lot because he has to be evaluated big-time for next season," said manager Felipe Alou. Niekro, who hit 12 home runs after being sent to Triple-A Fresno on July 16, will likely start at first base four games per week with Pedro Feliz and Shea Hillenbrand sharing some time at third.
    Four times a week? Hillenbrand is on a tear and now you want to take the bat out of his hand? I can see Feliez getting some rest but not Shea. Shea is ten times the hitter Feliz is.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Armando Benitez isn't sure when he will be able to return to the mound.
    Benitez hasn't been able to do anything due to chronic arthritis in his right knee. He had an MRI performed on the knee on Friday. Mike Stanton will remain the Giants' closer until Benitez can return.

Noah Lowry threw about 80 pitches Saturday and has been penciled in to start Wednesday against the Rockies.
    Jonathan Sanchez will start Tuesday anyway, so it looks like Brad Hennessey is getting bounced from the rotation. Lowry missed his previous start with irritation in his elbow.
    The way Sanchez has looked all year, I have no problem with Hennessey retuning to the bullpen.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Vinnie Chulk left Tuesday's game with one out in the ninth inning due to an injury to his right hand.
    Chulk was replaced by Mike Stanton who finished the game. He will have his hand examined on Wednesday and is considered day-to-day.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    With Armando Benitez out for the remainder of the season the Giants are expected to purchase the contract of reliever Billy Sadler from Triple-A Fresno.
    Sadler struck out 79 in 55 2/3 innings and had 21 saves between Double-A and Triple-A this season. With the rash of injuries to the Giants' bullpen he could have an opportunity to earn a couple saves before the season is over. Keep an eye on how they use him

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Giants manager Felipe Alou indicated Saturday that he doesn't expect to be back with the team in 2007.
    Alou would like to stay on, but that the Giants still haven't brought up the subject of a new deal, he considers it unlikely that he'll be asked to do so. "In life, relationships involve two or more. It's not one," Alou said. "I've been here four years. I've been here every day of the season. I haven't missed a day." GM Brian Sabean said he expected to talk with Alou soon, but Alou isn't very interested in a meeting. "I really don't want to talk to anybody," Alou said. "I don't want to talk (about) next year. It's kind of too late to talk. ... This is a friendly thing. It is also my call, too."

General manager Brian Sabean revealed that closer Armando Benitez could require surgery on his ailing knee.
    He said the Giants will seek other closing candidates -- either through trade or free agency -- to protect themselves against the possibility that Benitez is not healthy in 2007. They don't want to run into another Robb Nen situation.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Merkin Valdez underwent Tommy John surgery last week and won't pitch in 2007.
    Valdez, formerly one of the Giants' top prospects, was likely pitching hurt while compiling a 5.80 ERA and a 48/39 K/BB ratio in 49 2/3 innings for Triple-A Fresno this season. He still might have a career as a reliever, but it's doubtful that he'll see the majors again prior to mid-2008.
    A lot of hype that turned into shit. Thanks for nothing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Billy Sadler earned his third save for Scottsdale of the AFL by throwing a scoreless inning on Friday.
    Sadler has fanned 11 in five scoreless innings to date. The 25-year-old right-hander made his major league debut in September and allowed three runs in four innings for the Giants. He should have a real chance of landing a bullpen spot next spring.
    Good to see him doing well.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Kevin Frandsen took over AFL lead in batting average while going 5-for-5 with a homer Monday for Scottsdale.
    Frandsen raised his average to .429 to pass Yunel Escobar. He's 24-for-56 with three homers and seven stolen bases, so he's definitely making a strong case to replace free agent Ray Durham as the Giants' second baseman next season.
    Bye Bye Ray?

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast