Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: This & That

AA ERA
    Schmidt Won't Be Used As Trade Bait

General Manager Brian Sabean said there is no temptation to dangle Jason Schmidt as potential trade-deadline bait even though the Giants' ace right-hander could leave after the season as a free agent.

``None, unequivocally,'' Sabean said, ``because I don't see this ballclub falling flat on its face, and Jason Schmidt is a guy who we are going to give due consideration to at the end of the year.''

AAA ERA
    That is great, but when you get that vote of confidence thats when you worry!

I suppose trading away your ace wouldn't be the best thing to do!

AAA ERA
    Not a good Idea!

I do like your idea of trading Barry and having enough money to get a guy like Zito and keeping Schmidt too.

Unfortunately I think the A's can do better. Should be interesting to see just what happens to Bonds at the end of the season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The A's can definitely get something better for Zito than a soon to be 42 year old on his last legs who is hitting .250 under a steroid investigation. I could never see Beane doing something silly like that! The only way the A's would trade Zito is if they are out of the race. What's the point in getting Bonds if you are not in a race?

Well the only point in trading Zito (to anybody) is to get something rather than nothing when he's a FA at the end of the year. I just don't think it wil lbe Barry Bonds -- really makes no sense to me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Lance Niekro did aggravate his right groin before being removed from Sunday's game and is likely to miss additional time.
    "There's a possibility that the DL is going to be mentioned," Giants manager Felipe Alou said. If Niekro returns to the DL, the Giants might give Travis Ishikawa another look.
    So who do we get? Craig Wilson's asking price is pretty high as they asked the Cards for Reyes.

AA ERA
    Ryan Shealy

AA ERA
    Finley notches 300th career homer

Steve Finley became the sixth player to amass 300 homers and 300 steals.

PHOENIX -- During a season of milestones for the San Francisco Giants, Steve Finley returned to his old Chase Field stomping grounds and added another on Wednesday night.
    The left-handed-swinging center fielder, who was part of a World Series championship Arizona Diamondbacks team five years ago, hit the 300th homer of his career, a game-opening, leadoff shot off Arizona right-hander Claudio Vargas as the Giants prevailed, 11-4.

With it, Finley became the sixth player in Major League Baseball history to amass 300 homers and 300 steals (he has 316). Four of the other five played portions of their careers with the Giants -- Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, his late father Bobby, and Reggie Sanders, who did it as a member of the Kansas City Royals on Saturday. Andre Dawson is the other.

"It's great company," said Finley, who snapped an 0-for-17 slump coming into the game with a 3-for-5 evening. "It's great company to be in. I'm proud to be there. It's something that once I quit playing and look back on and really relish it. Even when the season is over. Right now it's in the middle of the season. It's something that's a relief to be over with. It means I had a long, consistent career."

The 41-year-old Finley also joined Mays as the only two players in MLB history to have at least 300 homers, 300 steals, 425 doubles and 100 triples. Finley has 431 doubles and 120 triples.

Bonds is the only player in history to reach the 500-500 club with 717 homers and 506 steals. Bonds hit No. 717 later in the game, a three-run blast to cap the Giants scoring off right-handed reliever Jose Valverde in the ninth inning.

As far as milestones go, Moises Alou clouted his 300th homer on April 13 at San Francisco; Bonds passed Babe Ruth into second on the all-time home run list when he hit No. 715 on May 28, also at AT&T Park, and right-hander Jason Schmidt tied a 102-year-old franchise record set by Christy Mathewson when he whiffed 16 in a 2-1 complete-game victory over the Marlins on June 6 at the nearly seven-year-old park nestled on McCovey Cove.

In what is fast becoming a Giants tradition of sorts, Finley was met in the middle of the clubhouse with a beer dousing from his fellow teammates, much like Schmidt endured eight days ago after setting the San Francisco era record for most strikeouts in a game by a Giants pitcher.

"When he looks back on it, he's going to appreciate it a lot," Bonds said about Finley's dunking. "It's a really awesome moment."

Finley has played for seven teams in his 18-year career, but his longest tenure was with the Diamondbacks from 1999 to the July 31, 2004, trading deadline when he was swapped to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

In his short Los Angeles tenure, Finley clinched the National League West title at Dodger Stadium with a grand slam against the Giants on the next-to-last day of the 2004 season. That winter, he shunned a free agent offer from the Giants and signed with the Angels. But after an injury-plagued 2005 season in Anaheim, Finley was traded to San Francisco for third baseman Edgardo Alfonzo, who has since been released.

Finley's last homer came on May 31, 33 at-bats ago and he now has only three on the season. He figured that his milestone homer would've come a long time ago.

"I hit a few balls in San Francisco that I thought were going out, but they didn't quite make it," Finley said. "It would've been nice to do it in front of the fans at home, but this is the next best place, playing as long as I did here."
    Good to see Finley finally get this HR, now maybe he'll start swinging the bat alot better, now that he doesn't have to think about #300.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Moises Alou was scratched from Sunday's starting lineup due to back spasms.
    "I can't bend over," he said. It sounds like Alou could miss a few days, resulting in extra at-bats for Steve Finley.

AA ERA
    Recalled IF Kevin Frandsen from Triple-A Fresno and optioned 1B Travis Ishikawa to Double-A Connecticut.

AA ERA
    Notes: Frandsen called up
    Worrell strives for consistency; Niekro expected back Tuesday

Kevin Frandsen hit .314 overall with 24 runs scored and 13 RBIs for Triple-A Fresno.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Expect to see No. 19 cavorting around the Giants infield on a regular basis.
    That's rookie Kevin Frandsen, a longtime second baseman but proving to be a versatile player at third and shortstop. He arrived in San Francisco on Wednesday after a 14-day road trip with Triple-A Fresno, laughing that he slept through a promotion telephone call.

"I've been hitting solid, right on the button," said Frandsen, expected to play consistently during what he hopes will be a prolonged stay. "I'm getting my confidence back and I've got something to prove here -- I want to show I can stay."

With veteran Pedro Feliz having played every inning of every game and shortstop Omar Vizquel also needing some rest, Frandsen will spell them, as well as second sacker Ray Durham.

"He's going to play more," said manager Felipe Alou.

The 23-year-old Frandsen is marking his third stint with the Giants. With the Grizzlies, he was batting .314 overall with 24 runs scored and 13 RBIs.

After snoozing through director of player personnel Bobby Evans' original call, Frandsen was told to get packing, and the San Jose native had just finished doing his laundry. He was ready.

"Honestly, I feel real confident at all the spots," he said, noting he played third and short the past two weeks at Fresno. "I'm here and that's good."

Alou said with the summer heat approaching, the veterans will need more time off, although he said Vizquel replied he prefers to keep playing.

"But Pedro has played every game and I'm not going for that," said the manager, also indicating with first baseman Lance Niekro out with a right groin strain, Mark Sweeney, Jose Vizcaino and perhaps Todd Greene could see action at first.

Alou says the left side of the defense has played spectacularly, with both Vizquel and Feliz playing well. He prefers to leave them alone, but may be forced to eventually.

So far, Alou has avoided playing Feliz at third, which he has done part-time the last two seasons.

Complete coverage >"I haven't talked to him about playing first, and we wish we don't have to do that," said Alou.

Worrell's woes over? After his decent performance on Tuesday night in relief when he quelled an Angels rally in the eighth inning, Tim Worrell hopes he's turned a page this season -- from a mystery novel's intrigue to a happy ending.

"The bottom line is I haven't been consistent this year," said the right-hander, 2-2 with a 7.71 ERA this year. "I'm finally glad to contribute -- it isn't good walking around here not contributing.

"Consistency's not only what I want, but it's what Felipe [Alou] needs to be able to put you in games. I hope this is something I can build on and take that and put some stretch of games together."

Niekro better: Niekro, eligible to come off the disabled list next Tuesday with the groin problem when the Giants host the Texas Rangers, said he has worked out regularly but still feel a bit tight.

"I did everything Tuesday," he said of team workouts. "I'm trying to push it and do the best I can with it."

Futures Game: Two Giants organizational players have been selected to play in the XM Satellite Radio All-Star Futures Game on July 9 at Pittsburgh's PNC Park.

Triple-A Fresno pitcher Nick Pereira, who was 7-1 with a 2.06 ERA earlier with Class A San Jose, will represent the Giants on the United States team, while Class A Augusta third baseman Pablo Sandoval will play for the World team.

Sandoval is hitting .259 with the GreenJackets.

"For those two guys to do that will be awesome," said Frandsen, who played for the U.S. squad at the 2005 Futures Game in Detroit.

Blast from past: As part of "80's Retro Night," the Giants and Oakland A's will wear vintage 1982 uniforms at Friday night's 7:15 p.m. Interleague matchup at AT&T Park.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Good to hear Frandsen is getting a shot and Feliz does need a break. I like this kid and I hope he is playing second for us next year full-time. Alou better not play Vizcaino over this guy.

AA ERA
    Yeah, we always play Feliz in every game, and tire him out for the end of the season. Frandsen should be the #1 infielder coming off the bench.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast