Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave Roberts on board....

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres Dave Roberts on board....

GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Well that answers who will be playing RF this year I guess...... Roberts / Guzman / Johnson
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA

Padres

Story says LF......go figure.....
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    Yeah ........I heard Sandy Alderson talking about Giles going back over to his normal spot in LF.....and using speed to cover that gap and crazy wall out in RF.......then when Giles signed, he was interviewed and he too said that he was going back to LF but would play anywhere they wanted him too...... it makes sense.....from the speed standpoint I guess

MLB ERA

Padres

Hell, he'd probably pitch if it kept him in the bigs and in Dago.....and in the money.....

MLB ERA
    I just don't get the signing myself............. why sign Dave Roberts for 2.25M when you claim 2.5M is too much for payroll and blow out Loretta ? Roberts = soso player.......Loretta = silver slugger and GGer and allstar..........I just don't quite get this move.........and both would be out from under contract next season.......I just don't get this deal

Further we have Freddie Guzman who for all intensive purposes is a switchhitting Roberts that is far younger....... I know we have Barfield, but he's an unproven quantity at this point, Loretta was a rock.........was Moores pissed at Loretta for being involved with all the inner workings of MLB ? Is there more to this dump that we know about ?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    why sign Dave Roberts for 2.25M when you claim 2.5M is too much for payroll and blow out Loretta ? Roberts = soso player.......Loretta = silver slugger and GGer and allstar..........I just don't quite get this move.........and both would be out from under contract next season.......I just don't get this deal
    simple. Mark Loretta doesn't play left field.

agree or disagree, perhaps they're more confident in Josh Barfield's ability than Ben Johnson's

Furthermore, neither Loretta, Barfield, or Ben Johnson are leadoff hitters...keep that in mind as well.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    I know we have Barfield, but he's an unproven quantity at this point
    Freddy Guzman may as well be unproven himself. Unless you want to go off what he has "proven" thus far, and if we do then I don't want him starting for the Padres

MLB ERA
    Very very true.......however we're deep in our OF position.....and OFers are a dime a dozen........ silver slugging, GGer 2nd basemen aren't.......

I think that the odds of Freddie Guzman posing Dave Roberts-like numbers are far more reasonable than us finding a guy to post Loretta like #'s ......... and I'm speaking about contract money here people........ 2.5M for Loretta's #'s or $2.25M for Roberts

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    simple. Mark Loretta doesn't play left field.

agree or disagree, perhaps they're more confident in Josh Barfield's ability than Ben Johnson's

Furthermore, neither Loretta, Barfield, or Ben Johnson are leadoff hitters...keep that in mind as well.
    We were told is was about a salary free up........regardless of position.......

I agree that they are confident in Barfield, but that's a huge risk considering Loretta was a huge part of our offense when healthy.

Freddie Guzman was touted as our next coming in leadoff hitting OFers.....why sign Roberts who is basically an older version of Guzman is kinda my question........ Also Juan Pierre was available for not much more than $2.25M......true leadoff threat, 200 hit guy, steal bases, great range.....etc.....I'm just wondering why is all.......sure seems like there were better options for that $2.25M IMO

MLB ERA
    - and the salary was freed up...and without doing so they wouldn't have been able to resign DR, I presume. So it comes down to giving it to Loretta or DR, and, even though I don't fully agree with it, I do understand why they did it.

- With all due respect to the guy, but Loretta sucked last year, partly due to injury. Loretta also sucked for the 9 years or so he played in other uniforms. I like the guy and all, and I think it was a riddiculously stupid trade, but don't be too shocked if he has a subpar year in Boston either. (not that i'm predicting that)

- Freddy Guzman is nothing special, at least not from what i've seen. You make the argument in favor of Loretta that he "was a huge part of our offense when healthy"...well so was Dave Roberts last year.

I'll take Dave Roberts over Freddy Guzman. And i'll trust Josh Barfield to succeed before I trust Freddy Guzman to do so.

MLB ERA

Padres

Fair enough......... I'll take an allstar, silver slugger that plays gold glove calibur IF, who has done nothing but produce huge #'s for us when healthy.

I guess the main thing about the trade that bugs me is that they could have and should have gotten more for Loretta.....that's my major ***** and moan......he's worth more than just Mirabelli.....how 'bout Mirabelli and a prospect or two? And we the fans regardless of the truth were told that the Loretta "salary dump" was to help sign Hoffy......not DR.....I get moving Loretta, but move him for someone of worth, since he himself has a truckload of worth.......how many veteran allstar infielders can be had for $2.5M.....really ?

also I'll go on forum record and.....I'm calling for a career year from Loretta in that insane line up in Boston......he'll see more great pitches and is going to wear out the Monster....IMO....

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think Loretta is going to be major suckage in Boston. He'll be bombarded by the invasiveness of the Boston media and ruthlessness of the Boston fans, and will struggle to find his game - much like Kevin Millar and Edgar Renteria.

MLB ERA
    Fair enough......... I'll take an allstar, silver slugger that plays gold glove calibur IF, who has done nothing but produce huge #'s for us when healthy.

I guess the main thing about the trade that bugs me is that they could have and should have gotten more for Loretta.....that's my major ***** and moan......he's worth more than just Mirabelli.....how 'bout Mirabelli and a prospect or two? And we the fans regardless of the truth were told that the Loretta "salary dump" was to help sign Hoffy......not DR.....I get moving Loretta, but move him for someone of worth, since he himself has a truckload of worth.......how many veteran allstar infielders can be had for $2.5M.....really ?

also I'll go on forum record and.....I'm calling for a career year from Loretta in that insane line up in Boston......he'll see more great pitches and is going to wear out the Monster....IMO....
    you and I share the same "main beef" about the trade. That's really my only complaint about the trade.

I wanted them to trade him, but for more than just Mirabelli. Josh Barfield can only be held down for so long and Mark Loretta's 35 years old and will be a free agent at the end of the year...at which time his 2.5 million will be dwarfed by the offers he'd recieve...and if that wasn't happening then it'd be because he struggled (again) in 2006.

The bottom line is, you have a 35 year old 2nd baseman who had a down year and has one year left on his contract, who's trade value is not going to get any higher. And, right behind him, you have a young up and comming prospect who's more than ready to start in the bigs, short of having major league experience...but there's only one way you can get that, and it's not by sitting on the bench.
    The conditions make perfect sense to trade Loretta...just for more than a freakin back up catcher.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    you and I share the same "main beef" about the trade. That's really my only complaint about the trade.

I wanted them to trade him, but for more than just Mirabelli. Josh Barfield can only be held down for so long and Mark Loretta's 35 years old and will be a free agent at the end of the year...at which time his 2.5 million will be dwarfed by the offers he'd recieve...and if that wasn't happening then it'd be because he struggled (again) in 2006.

The bottom line is, you have a 35 year old 2nd baseman who had a down year and has one year left on his contract, who's trade value is not going to get any higher. And, right behind him, you have a young up and comming prospect who's more than ready to start in the bigs, short of having major league experience...but there's only one way you can get that, and it's not by sitting on the bench.
    The conditions make perfect sense to trade Loretta...just for more than a freakin back up catcher.
    I get the trade move.....just not for the results, DR will be a FA after this year also....... and he's 33 and injury prone? So I do NOT get the move at all.......keep an aging injury prone OFer for 2.25M and get rid of the current clubhouse leader making 2.5M for a back up catcher.....

sounds to me like once again we're walking the same line....... just saying things differently???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast