Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trevor talks to Indians, Nomar to SD?

MLB ERA

Padres Trevor talks to Indians, Nomar to SD?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5141070

<li> The Indians met Monday morning with Rick Thurman, the representative for Trevor Hoffman, and appear ready to sign the free-agent closer to a three-year deal in the $21 million to $24 million range. Hoffman is expected to take a physical for the Indians on Tuesday.The Padres believe they still have a chance of retaining Hoffman, and the Red Sox could make a late bid. Red Sox president Larry Lucchino was with the Padres when Hoffman helped the team reach the 1998 World Series.

The Padres could trade setup man Akinori Otsuka if they re-sign Hoffman, while second baseman Mark Loretta, outfielder Dave Roberts and third baseman Sean Burroughs could be moved regardless. A trade of Loretta to the Red Sox for left-hander David Wells could lead the Padres to pursue free agent Nomar Garciaparra. The Padres believe Garciaparra could play second base — other teams see him in the outfield or at first - but they have yet to engage in detailed discussions with Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Well if our upper management doesn't think Hoffy is worth 7M / year and they think Giles is worth 10M/ year.......I clearly don't know where they are headed
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    Garciaparra........ugh.............WHAT'S GOING ON HERE ?? WTF IS HAPPENING TO THIS TEAM ?? GOOD GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Well if our upper management doesn't think Hoffy is worth 7M / year and they think Giles is worth 10M/ year.......I clearly don't know where they are headed
    Well, Trevor contributes maybe 66 innings a year. Giles contributes pretty much every game. If you get past all the sentimental BS Giles is most definitely worth much much more to this team than Trevor is.

MLB ERA
    Oh I do understand the innings to dollars comparison...........however 10M for a 35 year old guy who may or may not have lost his power vs. 7M for one of the premier closers in the game who hasn't slowed one bit( and is an icon here)........uh.......that's the direction I'm coming from here

MLB ERA
    hey while we seem to be trying to get aging allstars from the past.......lets bring in another teams allstar named Roger Clemens while we're at it........ at least we know he's still got it!

Does anyone else wonder where this is headed ?

MLB ERA
    Oh I do understand the innings to dollars comparison...........however 10M for a 35 year old guy who may or may not have lost his power vs. 7M for one of the premier closers in the game who hasn't slowed one bit( and is an icon here)........uh.......that's the direction I'm coming from here
    Perphaps they're more interested in making the team a better team than appeasing fan sentiment?

Furthermore, if Trevor really cared about finishing his career as a Padre, as he has put on in the past, he'd gladly accept a meager contract to do so. He's been making millions of dollars a year for how long now? Monetary concerns should no longer be an issue for the guy.

MLB ERA
    Thats just an insane thought process......... should except a meager contract..........yah right........ take less maybe.......but meager.........lmao.......he's still a top notch closer showing no signs of slowing down........he doesn't have to worry about arm strength as much as many bullpen guys do....... and is worth a decent contract........ and 7M/3 years isn't very much in the scheme of things......especially when you hear that they would dump Otsuka if they signed Hoffman.......making more room for his salary........this team needs Hoffman for more than one reason........ not just "sentimental BS" ........ How many closers had more saves last year for teams with only 82 wins ?

MLB ERA
    By the way.......... Trevor maintains he'd take less to stay......but isn't interested in being embarrassed by the offer either........both are understandable

MLB ERA
    and how do you know they're not offering him a reasonable contract?

There's really no real meaning behind my rant unless Trevor signs on someone else's dotted line.

I stand by my ascertation that i'd rathter they have a better team than for my feelings to be appeased. I got over junior when getting rid of him made the Chargers a better team, I can get over Trevor if keeping him means out bidding a salary that's too much for his services. I trust Linebrink to fill in just fine if need be.

That said, it's still in the air what will happen.

as far as "dumping Otsuka"...they'd be "dumping his contract" for David Wells'.. hardly saving any room (Otsuka gets 1 whole mil a year, IIRC)

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres

10M for a guy that we have to move in the fences in to accomodate?

I'm with you padrefan. I am once again wondering where all of this is going.

If the Pads can't *cough* up the bank for Trevor to stay, it is a sad state. Trevor is obviously NOT a Tony Gwynn. And, why should he have to be? This game has long been a business, and even more evidenced by all of the big salaries and trades going down.

Screw sentimentalism. What is best for the team?

Nomah? Right........
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    and how do you know they're not offering him a reasonable contract?

There's really no real meaning behind my rant unless Trevor signs on someone else's dotted line.

I stand by my ascertation that i'd rathter they have a better team than for my feelings to be appeased. I got over junior when getting rid of him made the Chargers a better team, I can get over Trevor if keeping him means out bidding a salary that's too much for his services. I trust Linebrink to fill in just fine if need be.

That said, it's still in the air what will happen.

as far as "dumping Otsuka"...they'd be "dumping his contract" for David Wells'.. hardly saving any room (Otsuka gets 1 whole mil a year, IIRC)
    sounds like a million here and a million there is the difference doesn't it ?

MLB ERA
    all I'm arguing is that the Padres shouldn't break the bank for a guy who contributes maybe 66 innings a year, especially when Linebrink can do just about as good for much chepaer.

You and I both know that this team needs more help, and i'd rather not cripple those efforts because Trevor wants to break the bank again, depsite the fact that he's a freakin multi-millionare already.

And, don't get me wrong, i'm not stating Trevor has some obligation to be loyal to the team and accept a lower contract...but if he's not going to be he shouldn't give the opposite impression to the fans. Nobody's asking Trevor to play for league minmum here. The Padres had a multi-million dollar deal on the table for him. If he was as loyal as is put on (whether it's by him or Padres PR or both) then he'd gladly accept it rather than putting their offseason on hold trying to squeeze out a few more $$$.

But since it's obvious that's not the case, more power to him. I'd like him back, but not for the money Cleveland's offering. I'd much rather continue to improve the rest of the team and let Linebrink take over.

As far as the fences and Giles go, i'm neither for nor against that. I started to agree with your argument. I'm taking a "see how it goes" stance on that.

MLB ERA
    Well I clearly don't agree with you on the "he should accept it if he's loyal" theory...... the contract offers were NOT close to eachother......... if they were I'd agree with you, but nobody leaves that much money on the table........NOBODY!!! Thats just crazy talk.....
    As far as Trevor being a multimillionaire already......that's his business and past business......and shouldn't be confused with new business deals

MLB ERA
    I know i'm taking this into realm of a fantasy world where baseball players realize they're being paid to play a game for 1,000x the amount of money people are currently putting their lives on the line for in defense of this country, but if you handed me ONE million dollars right now i'd be set for life.

All i'm saying is that if I was in Trevor's shoes my decision would be based soley off what team I wanted to play for. I'd take for granted that my resume would get me a few mil a year, but I wouldn't even care if the Yankees offered me 100 BILLION a year for the next decade. Already having the millions upon millions i've made thus far it'd be strictly a "what team do I want to play for" thing.

But that's just me.

Anyways, back to reality, happy trails to Trevor if he wants the money more than the opportunity to break the saves record with the team he's pitched for pretty much his entire career, and in front of the fans that have practically worshiped him for over a decade. I still don't want to invest that much of our payroll into 66 innings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast