Thread: Trevor offered deal.......

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres Trevor offered deal.......

Trevor was offered 2 years 10M........and his agent said it was a disgrace and disrespectful.......they countered with 3 years 24M...........the Padres are now on the clock to make a solid re-counter to that........but let me ask you guys.......is 8M/year really that far off from what he's worth to keep here........Trevor doesn't rely on a fastball to get guys out, therefore he wont go downhill as fast due to age. In fact if his arm gets tired quicker he'll only become more effective, so age might make him better........

IMO 8M/year is a good deal to allow the best closer in the history of the game to retire as a Padre.......Come on Towers..........come on Alderson.......stop screwing around with Trevor......all the other FA's nobody here cares this much about..........but don't F*#@ with Trevor
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    quite honestly i'd much rather spend 8 million a year on someone who helps the team win for more than just three innings a week.

I love Trevor and all, but the guy is rapidly approaching his 40s and is not worth 8 mil a year, IMHO. It's arguable whether any closer is worth that much, regardless of how good they are, but that's for another debate.

I REALLY want Trevor to stay, and I REALLY like the guy, but if he's insistant on demanding more than the ~5 mil/year that he's currently worth then i'd much rather them spend the money on someone that can help the team even more than Trevor can.

I got over Junior, I can get over Trevor
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If you're going to be paying that much money for a closer, why not go for a younger guy...like Wagner maybe? though he's not that much younger, but still.

MLB ERA
    Well my answer to something like that is this........... Trevor is an enigma for closers......meaning he doesn't rely on a fastball to get guys out, and as he gets older and his arm "slows" down, his changeup only becomes more effective....... he actually could get better not worse over the next three years...... Wagner is a guy that needs his fastball and is injury prone.........not exactly a guy you want when you have the option for a Hoffman......IMO

Saying that.......I just emailed 1090am asking why they don't just split the difference and offer him 3 years $6.5 per year for $19.5M........fair to us.....fair to him.......and he retires and breaks the record in a Padre jersey......paying Trevor a little more is 150% worth it IMO.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Trevor still needs his fastball to change speeds. Throwing changeup after changeup isn't going to get guys out forever.

MLB ERA
    Trevor's fastball while he stays in shape wont get much worse than it is.......be real......it's only at 85-88 now........and wont dip below that if he maintains arm strength.......it's just not going to happen........hell I can still bring it to 85 if I warm up, and my arm isn't in shape

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Towers needs to decide if he is going to stay or go. I think too many things are going on in the front office to get this done right. Hoffman is worth it to the fans and more importantly to the team. Hoffman has been a staple in that bullpen forever and it just doesn't seem right for him to go to another team. Plus I don't know if he could get what he is asking on the open market with all the other closers out there.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Trevor's fastball while he stays in shape wont get much worse than it is.......be real......it's only at 85-88 now........and wont dip below that if he maintains arm strength.......it's just not going to happen........hell I can still bring it to 85 if I warm up, and my arm isn't in shape
    I get what you're saying about his fastball, but what do you mean when you say his changeup will be more effective? Wouldn't he be relying on the same changeup just as much as he does now?

MLB ERA
    When your arm is at full strength the change up can be moving too fast to break or dart or whatever your change up does..........when your arm gets tired or fatigued, you have much more movement........so if his arm slows or tires quicker due to age ( which I doubt it will much ) then his best pitches could in theory get better......