Thread: Giles files for FA, Padres offer "not close"

MLB ERA

Giles files for FA, Padres offer "not close"

Rudy Seanez, Chris Hammond, Ramon, and Joe Randa filed as well.

A three-year offer of more than $21 million from the Padres didn't prevent right fielder Brian Giles, the club's presumptive Most Valuable Player in 2005, from filing for free agency yesterday along with four others.

San Diego's offer is "not close" to getting a deal done, Giles' agent, Joe Bick, said yesterday.

"I will say that our primary goal all along has been to get Brian re-signed with the San Diego Padres, and nothing has changed as far as that goal is concerned," Bick said. "But things have moved kind of slow, which is fine. I'm not criticizing that. But now they have put themselves into a position where we're allowed to talk to other people."

Giles, who will turn 35 in January, is a free agent for the first time in a career that began when the Cleveland Indians chose him in the 17th round of the 1989 draft.

The Granite Hills High alum earned $7 million last season, the final year of a five-year pact issued by the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The Padres invested no small sum to get Giles, trading outfielder Jason Bay and left-hander Oliver Perez to Pittsburgh in August 2003. Bay went on to win the Rookie of the Year award in 2004 and this year should earn votes for the league's MVP award.

Giles, however, shouldered the burdens of a veteran core player, helping the Padres to consecutive winning seasons for the first time since 1991-92 and their first playoff berth since 1998.

The left-hander's home run power declined sharply, in some part due to the spaciousness of Petco Park. After averaging 37 home runs in his four full seasons with the Pirates, Giles hit 23 for the Padres in 2004 and 15 this year.

But Giles led this year's team in several offensive categories, including RBI, runs scored and slugging percentage. He led the majors in walks (119), boosting a career on-base percentage (.413) that ranks among the top 35 all-time.

Under his recent deal, Giles outproduced several players who drew salaries ranging from $8 million to $15 million. He's free to talk to other clubs about duration of contract and other issues, but until Nov. 11 can discuss dollars only with the Padres.

Among the clubs interested in Giles are the St. Louis Cardinals, who made it known in July they tried to trade for him. The Boston Red Sox also showed interest earlier this month, and although the Oakland A's aren't big spenders, they tried to trade for Giles in his Pirates days and employ one of his best friends, catcher Jason Kendall. Bick also could hear from the L.A. Dodgers, one of six clubs Giles excluded from his trade-veto list four years ago.

Other Padres who filed yesterday were catcher Ramon Hernandez, third baseman Joe Randa and relievers Chris Hammond and Rudy Seanez. CEO Sandy Alderson has said Hernandez likely will sign with another club.
    Now, is it just me, or is 7 mil a year for three years pretty reasonable for a 35 year old "slugger" who's going to be 38 when the contract expires?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    One thing, I really doubt Jason Bay will get MVP votes... but um..
    I suppose Giles is expecting a bigger draw if he's turning down 7 million per. But who'd be really willing to offer more?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

7 million is less than what he'll get elsewhere, he was one of the best hitters in the league last year (not Top 5, but certainly above 7 milion per).

And Bay should get MVP votes, not first or second, but not unreasonable.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    7 million is less than what he'll get elsewhere, he was one of the best hitters in the league last year (not Top 5, but certainly above 7 milion per).

And Bay should get MVP votes, not first or second, but not unreasonable.
    And herein lies the issue of MLB and its lack of a salary cap. The Padres simply can not afford to toss around 10 million a year on a risk such as Brian Giles. I call it a risk because he'll be 38 at the end of the 3 year contract. Not everyone is Barry Bonds (please, no roid insinuations) Not everyone is Gary Sheffield, your average player tends to decline with age...and Brian is already showing signs of such.

Other teams in the larger markets? Well, if Brian does break down, what the heck? They'll just give 10 more million to someone else, no bigee.

He was great this year, but if they're going to toss around 10 mil per year, i'd rather not have it finding us with another Nevin/Klesko situation in two or three years.

And that's completely logical. He deserves more than 7 million per for three based on his performance this year as, arguably, a Top 20 overall hitter (depends on how much you value his OBP which is Top 10 caliber related to his slugging ability), but the Padres aren't in the market to afford it.

Of course, I could see the Sox taking that risk if they deal Manny, but that's another concoction I made up.

It's an absolute risk. No one has any idea if Giles will be 2005 Giles in 2007 or 2004 Brian Giles (with an OBP around 60 points worse), big big difference. And really, I wonder if Giles is suppressed by Petco (I know there was a huge discussion), or has he simply turned into a guy who will get on base a lot, just not often with a majority of XBH.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    And really, I wonder if Giles is suppressed by Petco (I know there was a huge discussion), or has he simply turned into a guy who will get on base a lot, just not often with a majority of XBH.
    There is talk of moving the right field wall in some, but I don't know how serious that talk is or if it will really happen.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I hope the Cards get Giles. He would fit in with that town and would be a great replacement for Walker.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I hope the Cards get Giles. He would fit in with that town and would be a great replacement for Walker.
    You just want him out of the division.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    Rudy Seanez, Chris Hammond, Ramon, and Joe Randa filed as well.

Now, is it just me, or is 7 mil a year for three years pretty reasonable for a 35 year old "slugger" who's going to be 38 when the contract expires?
    It's very reasonable.......however it's a FA's right to file......that doesn't mean he's leaving......just means he wants to see his worth on the market. Giles and his agent have already said they'd take less to remain here.....but the question is how much less ???
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    By the way...........expect Hoffman to file also
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres