Thread: Young's injury could be career threatening

MLB ERA

Young's injury could be career threatening

from the U-T

Eric Young was put on the 60-day disabled list yesterday with an injury far more serious than originally reported by the Padres.

Young, who will be 38 next month, didn't suffer a shoulder separation when he crashed into the center-field wall Thursday at Petco Park. He suffered a complete dislocation of his right (throwing) shoulder – a threat not only to the versatile veteran's 2005 season but his career.

"Eric's injury was much like the dislocation (Phil) Nevin suffered in 2003," Padres assistant trainer Jim Daniel said yesterday.

Although his rehab after arthroscopic surgery went much faster than expected, Nevin missed 3½ months. And his injury was to his nonthrowing shoulder.

Daniel said the recuperation period for a dislocation as severe as Young's could be 24 weeks – which would wipe out the season.

The Padres hope Young won't require surgery to stabilize the dislocation, but they won't know for at least three weeks.

"The shoulder will be immobilized for three weeks before we can determine anything further," Daniel said. "At this point, we don't know about surgery."

Said manager Bruce Bochy: "We're hopeful he doesn't have to have surgery and has a chance to play this year. A clutch player like Eric, with his energy and versatility, is going to be sorely missed."

The Padres filled Young's spot on the 25-man roster by purchasing the contract of Jesse Garcia from Triple-A Portland. The club opened a spot on the 40-man roster for Garcia by assigning Young to the 60-day DL.

"It's unfortunate that this is the way I'm coming back," said Garcia, who was the last player trimmed last weekend when the club broke spring camp. "Eric was such a big factor on this club."

Young was injured while making a leaping catch while crashing into the fence in the first inning of the home opener.

Upon reaching Young, Daniel searched the area where the humerus bone meets the shoulder. But the ball of the bone was totally out of the socket and in front of the shoulder, and Young's muscles were in spasm.

"I've seen about 10 of these types of injuries," Daniel said, "and the most surprising thing to me about this one is that Eric wasn't in severe pain.

"As we were walking in, I asked him several times if he wanted to stop and rest."

In the training room, Daniel and team physician Jan Fronek worked to put the ball back in the shoulder socket.

"The muscles and all the connecting tissues are stretched out," said Daniel, who added there is a "50 percent chance in an injury like this that the shoulder will be dislocated again."

A player best known for his infield glove work, Garcia, 31, hit .351 in spring training and was openly disappointed about being assigned to Triple AAA.

"What helped me was Bochy," said Garcia, who has also played in the outfield. "I hadn't known him very long, but I could see that he knew how I really felt. He told me I deserved to be in San Diego. It made it easier knowing that he had been in my position before.

"He told me I was the first guy if they needed someone."

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres

Que bummer !!!!

That was one hell of a catch. As soon as he hit I knew it was trouble.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................