Padres Little League WS Quest Vista vs Mexicali

Little League winners

Mexicali team has its eyes on Little League prize

Boys from the desert thirst for world title
    By Irasema Mayoral Liera
    UNION-TRIBUNE
    August 18, 2005

JUAN CARLOS FLORES / El Mañana de Reynosa
    A base runner for the Mexicali team scores during Mexico's final on Aug. 1 in Reynosa, Tamaulipas,
    MEXICALI, Mexico – Nothing dampens the dreams of this city's Little League team, not even nighttime practices held in 100-degree desert heat. The youngsters are Mexico's national champions and will compete in the international division of the Little League World Series. It sets up the possibility they could play Vista's Little Leaguers in the championship game Aug. 28.
    Tuesday at dawn, the 14 boys, manager and coaches boarded buses to San Diego, where they took a flight to Chicago, then on to Williamsport, Pa., the site of the series.

In a way, though, their journey began two years ago, when the boys came within one win of becoming the national champs in the 9-and 10-year-old division.

The experience gave them a glimpse of what was possible. They practiced, played and persevered.

"Every Little Leaguer dreams of reaching the World Series," team manager Juan Carlos Minor, 40, said before a practice on a recent Saturday. "It's no different for managers."

The Mexicali team is part of a league sponsored by the Mexican Institute of Social Security, the system of federal health facilities.

In June, the boys won the local tournament. Then they played in the regionals, where they beat other teams from northern Mexico.

On Aug. 1, they were in Reynosa, in the border state of Tamaulipas, in the national final against a team from Mexico City's Olmeca League, a perennial contender.

The Mexicali boys led 5-2 in the last inning, but Mexico City loaded the bases with one out.

The boys from the desert then turned a double play, sending their team to Williamsport.

Saturday, they will play Canada, one of the eight teams in the international division.

Mexico has three Little League World Series titles, the most recent one coming in 1997, when a team from Nuevo Leon won.

Joy of teamwork
    When the Mexicali boys won the national championship, the Gómez family screamed with joy.
    In the stands were Norberto Gómez and his wife, Blanca Oyerbidez. They had accompanied their son, Nordan, 11, who plays on the team. Also cheering were their two other children, Blanca, 14, and Naomi, 4.

"We just couldn't believe they had beaten the Olmeca League," the mother said on a recent Saturday night as parents watched their sons practice on a field loaned by the University of Baja California.

The whole family, though, is not going to Williamsport.

"If you knew the story," she said, sighing deeply.

The families range from working class to middle class to professionals.

"No one is rich," said Oyerbidez, a homemaker. "We bought uniforms, paid hotel, food, transportation, everything."

The parents sold tamales, menudo, aguas frescas, among other items, to raise money.

The Gómez family spent $2,200 for the trip to the Mexican finals. For Williamsport, only dad will go.

"It's a sacrifice, but we think that a kid has a healthier development playing sports," said Norberto Gómez, a sales manager for an energy equipment company.

The Little League Association will pay the team's expenses for the World Series. It also will pick up the tab for Nordan's father, who is one of the team's two coaches.

During a break in the practice, Nordan joined his parents on the edge of the field. His mom handed him a bottle of water she brought in a small cooler.

"Baseball is what I like the most," Nordan said, breaking out into a wide smile. He then raced back to the field.

"My son can't even imagine what we've spent," Oyerbidez said, shaking her head, "and we won't spoil his happiness with that."

Twelve of the team's 14 players will be accompanied by at least one family member to Williamsport. The other two families just could not swing the expense.

Grounds for hope
    Since winning Mexico's national championship, the boys have been on the Internet, checking out the fields where the Little League World Series will be played.
    "I'm proud to defend Mexico's colors," said Mario Rosas, who pitches and plays third base.

Minor, the team's manager, said his goal is to prepare the players mentally, including his son, Luis.

"Right now they are very motivated," he said. "I tell them that they can take on anyone, that they are capable of winning it all."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Free-lance journalist Irasema Mayoral Liera covers baseball for The San Diego Union-Tribune's Spanish-language newspaper, Enlace.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Go RBV..........
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Actually, I was wrong......Mexico will play Canada today, in an international match up.

The Vista team played KY today and won 7-2. The pitcher tied the all time K record with 18 K's. Also, there was a lefty catcher for the Vista team in this game. I had to do a double take when I saw that kid scoop a ball outta the dirt. I saw my Dad all over again......it was kinda surreal...

LINK

LINK to today's game
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    once again.............. Go RBV.......... so far 2-0 in the tourney woo hoo

MLB ERA
    Another win for RBV

Pimentel just grand again for RBV

By Kevin Gemmell
    UNION-TRIBUNE COMMUNITY SPORTS WRITER
    August 24, 2005

SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. – It was a game that in the grand scheme meant little. But the Rancho Buena Vista Little League All-Stars didn't treat it that way.
    Focused and efficient, powerful and potent, the RBV offense erupted last night in a 9-3 victory over Lafayette, La., at Lamade Stadium to wrap up Little League World Series pool play with a 3-0 record. Rancho Buena Vista will play in the first U.S. semifinal today at 4:30 p.m. (ESPN) against Maitland, Fla. RBV and Lafayette already were assured of advancing, so last night's game only determined seeding.

JOHN GIBBINS / Union-Tribune
    After a strikeout pitch gets past the catcher, Royce Copeland takes the throw from Kalen Pimentel and tags out Alex Miller, trying to score, for a double play.
    Paced by Kalen Pimentel's second grand slam in as many games and a two-run home run by Reed Reznicek, the 12-and 13-year-olds from Vista jumped on the Southwest Region champs early and put them away late.
    It was the first time in the Series that RBV didn't need to come from behind.

"It's always important to score first," said RBV manager Marty Miller. "It causes the other team to push a little and press a little and tension builds. It's a big plus to be ahead.

"I think any good team when they smell blood, they are going to jump on it. I think every team gets streaky and gets hits in bunches. I don't think we pounced on them today. I think with the pitches they were throwing at us we should have scored a lot more runs."

RBV sent nine batters to the plate in the first inning. Danny Vivier scored on a Royce Copeland double and Nate Lewis crossed home on a Johnny Dee single. Ryan Gura picked up an RBI the hard way when he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, putting RBV ahead 3-0.

Austin White, making his first pitching start of the all-star season, earned the win, scattering five hits. He allowed one earned run and struck out two. Royce Copeland, originally scheduled to start, pitched three innings in relief.

It looked as if RBV would continue its trend of giving up runs in the first inning when White allowed the first two batters to reach safely. Andrew Stevenson bunted for a single and Sam Scofield hit a bloop single. But White settled down and induced flyouts by the next three batters.

"He's a small guy, but he knows how to throw strikes," Miller said. "It was big for us because I didn't want to burn pitchers. He struggled and gave up some hits. And in this tournament to allow just one run was huge."

RBV added two more runs in the third. After Copeland singled, Dylan de Meyer went in as a pinch runner before Reed Reznicek broke out of his Series minislump with a two-run blast to center field, giving RBV a 5-1 advantage.

"I made some adjustments on my swing and it paid off," said Reznicek, who also had an assist from center field.

Lafayette got a run back in the top of the fourth when Sam Scofield scored on a throwing error. Then Lafayette loaded the bases with no outs. But momentum shifted when Copeland struck out Brenn Conrad on a pitch that got past Pimentel. Copeland dashed to the plate as Alex Miller tried to score, but Pimentel scooped the ball and threw a strike to Copeland, who applied the tag for the double play. Copeland then retired Jace Conrad to end the threat.

The RBV All-Stars have used a big inning the past two games to come from behind. Last night, before 12,800, they used it to pull away. Pimentel stepped to the plate with no outs and the bases loaded, similar to Sunday's game when he hit his first grand slam. Lamade Stadium was rocking in anticipation as RBV fans called for the long ball and Lafayette fans cheered on pitcher Ryan Bergeron.

Rancho Buena Vista's fans prevailed. Pimentel sized up Bergeron's 2-1 fastball and drilled a screaming line drive over the center-field fence.

"I tried to put a good swing on it," said Pimentel, who has nine RBI in three games. "I struck out the last at-bat so I was just focused on what I did wrong. I was swinging way too early."

Lafayette manager Mike Conrad didn't mince words when talking about RBV's offense.

"You can't leave pitches waist high, especially to a West Coast team that plays baseball 365 days a year," Conrad said. "These guys are outstanding hitters from top to bottom. They are like vultures. It's going to get ugly quick. I've tried to pick up weaknesses, and there are none. They are so disciplined at the plate, and if you don't hit your spots you are going to get hurt."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kevin Gemmell: (619) 718-5304; kevin.gemmell@uniontrib.com

MLB ERA
    Pimentel's a stud........should the Padres sign him now......lol.......we do need some power and he's shown more than some guys I don't need to mention

MLB ERA

Padres

Apparently Pimentals dad worked for the Pads at some point. The Pads donated $10k to the cause and quest in Williamsport.....

MLB ERA
    What I gathered is that he was allowed to study under a pitching coach for a while.........don't know if he worked for them directly but I heard that interview also......sounded like he was friends with someone more than employeed to me......but you may be right on.......

MLB ERA
    Hmmmm....musta been a different interview. This was that ESPN chick, Sam Ryan who was in the stands at the game and just had a little blurb/comment....but whatever.....way to support huh?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sam Ryan

MLB ERA
    oh yah......nice to see the Padres hooking up thier fans when they need it.......they really do a ton in the community