Thread: Roundtable w/ Sandy Alderson

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres Roundtable w/ Sandy Alderson

Well two nights ago we got smoked, but it was still a great evening for me as a Padre fan. I got to sit in on a Roundtable Discussion with Sandy Alderson, and some of the Padres top brass.......... They served us sushi, crabcakes & Teriyaki skewers, drinks and it was an open floor to discussion. The other Padre guys there two nights ago besides Sandy Alderson were..... Dick Freeman, Richard Andersen , Dan Fumai, Tim Katzman, and I think I saw Fred Uhlman for a shorttime.......along with 4-5 season tix reps, including Tony Cubbage & Travis Tabet.

Sandy seemed to be a very real and good guy, extremely wise in baseball terms, and did a great job answering questions on a variety of subjects ranging from issues with the ballpark, to me asking him directly about the Padres and this "mid-market" issue and the monies involved. His answers were concise, and while I would of course have like insider info the answers were very satisfactory in explanation, and I the skeptic feel much better about what and where the Padres are headed.

The Padres right now have around $10-12 mil. being paid out still to guys that aren't even playing for us right now. This added to our current roster payroll takes us up around $75mil. Our revenue streams for cable are only around $10 mil from Cox ( they rape us ), compared to many mid-market teams receiving around $30mil. This revenue is directly involved in payroll and team spending. He did elude to us actually spending a little more, but wouldn't answer me directly about possible last minute deals going down.

After his explanation to us about the money involved and what's and why's I did tell him that I thought this was exactly what the Padres fans would like to hear. This way they know that the spending is happening, it's just not all out for everyone to see. This would calm some of the storm that brews inside fandome here in San Diego............he said that I was exactly right, and he would see what he could do, now that he's going to be doing a weekly show on 1090am...........we'll see how that goes

Ok.......that's my story......... yeah me

GO PADRES !!!!
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres

Impressive padfan.....nice. Sounds like you had an informative outing. You asked a good question and made a good point for him to follow-up with and maybe quiet some disgruntled fans.....yeah, like that would ever happen.

I knew the Pads were still paying out to former players, like Tony, but I didn't know how much. That part kinda sucks huh.

As for the cable deal with Cox, I never knew the whole deal, and not sure I want to know, but can't they pull out of that, or do they even want to pull out of it?

I can't say that I would welcome a deal to join FUX Sports but.....Hey, here's a novel idea.....if they did join FUX Sports, the SCSR could REALLY be the SCSR......imagine that, a REAL SoCal team in the SCSR.

Yes, yea you Way to represent the little guys (us).....Nice menu too.....
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by riverdunesrat
    Impressive padfan.....nice. Sounds like you had an informative outing. You asked a good question and made a good point for him to follow-up with and maybe quiet some disgruntled fans.....yeah, like that would ever happen.

I knew the Pads were still paying out to former players, like Tony, but I didn't know how much. That part kinda sucks huh.
    Yah it sucks, however it's nice to know where our money is going now......so from that aspect it's ok......know what I mean ?

As for the cable deal with Cox, I never knew the whole deal, and not sure I want to know, but can't they pull out of that, or do they even want to pull out of it?
    He mentioned that it's a contractual obligation, but didn't give time frames, so for now it's COX, and they made the deal so it's their mess to stew in.

I can't say that I would welcome a deal to join FUX Sports but.....Hey, here's a novel idea.....if they did join FUX Sports, the SCSR could REALLY be the SCSR......imagine that, a REAL SoCal team in the SCSR.

Yes, yea you Way to represent the little guys (us).....Nice menu too.....
    Thank you........it was a blast........it really was........ 2 hours with the "horses mouth"........loved it

MLB ERA

Padres

Any more roundtables in the works? We got questions.....
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    I can only hope........ I will keep you updated should something like this go down again

MLB ERA

Padres

They usually have something at the conclusion of the season don't they?......but the way the Pads are playing that could be late October.....

MLB ERA
    Eaton goes tomorrow............ please oh please let him pick right up where he left off