Thread: Nevin-Ponson swap said being talked about

MLB ERA

Nevin-Ponson swap said being talked about

from the SDUT site,

The Padres apparently are trying to move first baseman Phil Nevin.

Yesterday it was learned that the club recently talked to the Orioles about swapping Nevin for pitcher Sidney Ponson, a right-hander who is guaranteed $13.5 million, has a 6.04 ERA and reportedly is on the verge of being dealt to Florida, Texas or another club.

A person close to the talks confirmed that Nevin-Ponson discussion but said, "There would be a lot of hurdles to clear" if Ponson's other scenarios fall through. Nevin, 34, would have to give his written consent to waive a no-trade proviso that covers eight clubs, including Baltimore. Two offseasons ago, when the Padres tried to trade Nevin to Cincinnati for center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., Nevin, a Southern California native, turned down the trade, although accepting would've added $2 million to his income. The Padres weren't eager to get Ponson, who's been on the trade block for some time and has allowed a .329 batting average this season. But they're looking for better allocation of payroll dollars. First base is the best position of their two highest-paid players, Nevin and Ryan Klesko, and Padres minor league personnel have said that first base also is the best position for Xavier Nady, a 26-year-old slugger who, like Nevin, has a right-handed power bat.

Nevin is guaranteed about $15 million, including $10 million next season and a $2 million bonus in 2007. Adding to the dynamic, Nevin will regain full no-trade powers 59 days into the 2006 season – about June 1 – when he reaches 10 years of major league service. Nevin is batting .262 with nine home runs and 47 RBI.
    Don't know what i'd think about this trade. It'd open up for Nady starting everyday, but i'm not positive Ponson would be a great addition to the rotation.
    I'm curious why the Orioles would even want to do this, Ponson's not great but he's what they've got in their need position, which is pitching. They have all the hitting in the world, I don't understand why the Orioles would want to make this trade even if they were guaranteed the 2001 version of Phil Nevin.

Anyways, the Orioles are one of Phil's 8 teams he can veto, so I doubt this will go through anyways.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Some posted that this was a done deal, but Fox said Nevin may veto it and the Fathers are denying that this is even on the table...so who knows

MLB ERA
    well, there's currently a 113 post thread on this deal being done over at the SDUT forum. I'm still waiting for it to load, however, so for all I know they could be talking about the "could've-been" deal in that thread

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If Nevin waives his NTC, I can't wait for padresfanforever's reaction to the Padres getting Sir Sidney.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    nevin will not allow this, but at the same time.....union tribune today had nevin on the front page and said "To be honest, Im tired that this keeps coming up" ..... guess what phil, you hurt your team every year by going on the DL, but i dont think sidney ponson is the answer...nady at 1st every day maybe but i can just see crucial errors coming from that

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres

Hey all........sorry I've been away .......someone hacked my main profile, and I lost everything including the link to this site.......

When I heard about this trade, the first thing I asked myself was, who are the O's going to turn around and deal Nevin too, and what for ? I heard a quiet rumor about just that, it said that Nevin was being sent to the Dodgers ( back in SoCal )from the O's for Weaver, so that answered my question....... The other possiblity was for Nevin to be sent to the Fish in the Burnett deal, but that's unlikely.

As far as Ponson coming here, this IMO is not a great move when you consider it's for our "star" player. I'm not against Nevin being moved, but I do think he's worth more than just Ponson. I'm also not against Ponson coming to SD, aside from the baggage he brings, I think that he will thrive in Petco as our #4 arm.......which will allow us to move BLaw to the #5 spot ( or visaversa), when Eaton comes back........this is nothing but good for us. Would I like to see someone better than Ponson, of course, but would I take a chance on Ponson........I think yes.........he's having an off year, but overall not a bad guy to have in one's rotation.........this is just opinion, but I think he'll be better suited to the NL.

Having said all that, I think we still need a #2 arm to stick in our #3 spot, when Eaton comes back, and this is just more of a lateral move to satisfy complaints about the team not "doing anything" at the deadline........ponson is a move that could have waited 'til the offseason. If it was for a frontline guy, that's a deal that needs to happen NOW, but for a #5 guy, that could wait.
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    I'd like to add something else that I've been thinking about......... Now that we've added Randa, maybe it's a good idea to keep Nevin ? Nevin could benifit from having another decent bat in this lineup. If Nevin, Klesko, Randa, Giles & Hernandez get hot at the sametime........this race is going to widen fast........I know "IF's".......problem is that all speculation is "if's" .......

Would Nady or Nevin be better overall at this point right now at 1b ?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Saw this on another site, I don't know if there is anything to it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Anyone else hear this rumor?

Nevin to the Orioles
    for Ponson

Orioles trade Nevin to
    the Dodgers for Jeff Weaver

Padres trade Ponson to
    the Rangers for Soriano. The Padres would put Soriano in CF, making Roberts the 4th outfielder.

Heard the guys on 1090 talking about it this morning.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Nevin exercises his no trade clause and saved your season.

MLB ERA
    Saved our season..........lol.......... it's going to take more than Phil to save this rapidly sinking ship..........like 8 other guys actually showing up daily too

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    what i meant was Ponson would have killed it. Quantrill's deal was bad enough.

MLB ERA
    Quantrill's deal was bad enough.
    Well, if you consider dumping Darrell May and Tim Redding off on the Yankees to be "bad enough" then sure, i'll take it

MLB ERA
    here here hollywood............we got rid of twice as much crap as we took on.....that's a brilliant move.......trimming fat is never bad

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Nevin exercises his no trade clause and saved your season.
    a bit late..

but at least we have a season to save .

Im glad Nev rejected this.
    Nobody lookin out for nobody
    Maybe we should try and help somebody or be somebody
    Instead of being somebody that makes the news
    So everybody can tweet about it
    And then they start to R.I.P. about it
    And four weeks later nobody even speaks about it.