Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Rizzo callup?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Padres Anthony Rizzo callup?

Brad Hawpe has been taking more flyballs in right field recently, an indication that he could be moved there while Anthony Rizzo takes his spot at first base.
    When asked about the situation, Padres manager Bud Black didn't indicate that a Rizzo promotion is imminent, but he didn't exactly deny it, either. "Have I asked (Hawpe) to come into my office?" Black said. "Not yet. But have I said, ‘Hey, Brad, I want you to start taking some fly balls in the outfield off the bat?’ Yeah. Brad knows. He’s played seven years of outfield (with the Colorado Rockies). He knows there’s a guy down (in Triple-A) hitting .370. He saw him in spring training." Rizzo's power has broken out in a big way this season, as he sports a .337/.455/.738 batting line with 16 homers and 62 RBI. He won't turn 22 until August.
    The Padres have waited long enough and Rizzo will not be Super Two eligible now so I think he should be called up. The Padres really have nothing to lose and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do. Rizzo was part of the AGon trade to Boston.

MLB ERA

Re: Anthony Rizzo callup?

I saw Rizzo a lot last year, and considering that place is HR heaven in AAA I just don't see him translating right away... I compare him to Justin Smaok as his power seems at that same level

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Justin Smoak now or when he first came up?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Justin Smoak now or when he first came up?
    Now, park comparison is similar too... Now I do think in a couple years Smoak will develop into a solid player... That's just the similarities I saw in the 20 games I saw him in

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think the Padres would be extremely happy with Smoak-like numbers in '11.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think they would too. And fans would probably dig it more instead of all the random "who the hell are they" call ups, with all the injuries.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Hell no don't call him up. He wont change anything for this team. Hawpe's last month has been fine, and we have more than enough OFer's. If anything Kyle Blanks needs to be called up first. There is NO need to start Rizzo's clock for this current catastrophe....He'll be up when rosters expand and should be left to finish off his season in AAA.

And screw Hawpe playing full time in Petco's OF, he's a piss poor fielding OFer, and this ballpark basically requires 2-3 CFer's
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rizzo is hitting .377/.455/.738 with 16 homers, what else does he have to prove at AAA. His arbitration clock is a non-issue now.

MLB ERA

Who said he needs to prove anything still. Sometimes it's just not the right time, and guys are better off not being called up. Hawpe has no business in the OF here, and he is hitting. So there is no reason to bring up Rizzo at this point. It's a stupid idea

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Padres aren't going anywhere so why is this not the right time? Hawpe and Rizzo in the same lineup=more offense potentially.

MLB ERA

The Padres are going no where so why bring him before rosters expand. Heh if the Giants keep floundering and we continue winning at home, they will find themselves relevant in the NLWest again really quickly

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

By "keep floundering" do you mean taking 3 of 4 from the Cards and 2 of 3 from the Rockies? You bring up Rizzo to give him MLB experience and prepare him to be the future 1B. He is not eligible for Super Two status and his clock will not start any sooner.

MLB ERA

Foundering as in allowing us to remain at arms length.....The way this Padre team has played the majority of this season we should damn near be mathematically out of it by now If the West allows the Padres to figure out how to play near .500 ball at home for the rest of the season, and they continue to play well on the road.....This will get very interesting in a couple months....

If they trade Hawpe at the deadline (please baseball gods allow this to happen), then you can bring up Rizzo and give him plenty of "experience" this year. If they don't trade Hawpe, then so long as he's producing there are better OF options currently available. It makes no sense at this point to make this move, and I believe that Blanks will get the nod before Rizzo does this year if needed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The West will be interesting, just not for the Padres. The Giants have 3rd best record in the NL. Not bad for losing their two best hitters.

MLB ERA

Hawpe in RF tonight, Cantu at 1st........ugh.......let the catastrophe in RF begin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast