Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Offseason moves and Winter Meetings Info here

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Offseason moves and Winter Meetings Info here

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    Don't forget that nobody said this team would be incredible either......Just that they look better on paper than they did at the BEGINNING of last year.....
    Yeah I still don't see them being better on paper at the BEGINNING, MIDDLE or END of last season. Better middle infield, not much else and Hawpe is your first baseman plus losing Garland will hurt too. All I know is, as a Giants fan, I'm not complaining one bit

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Better mid infield
    Better LF
    Better CF
    Better RF

IMO what will amount to a smaller than most think hit at 1b

Yeah that ='s better on paper.......
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ludwick didn't do well in SD last year and don't see him doing much with no protection in the lineup. CF is still very weak and with Maybin facing NL West pitching regularly, strikeouts will climb and production will not. The dropoff between Hawpe (who isn't a good 1b) and AGon is quite hilarious and no one to replace Garland or his innings. Venable won't be ready to start the season either. Yeah, that doesn't= better on paper to me.....especially the lineup the all-mighty Bill James has. Hawpe and Ludwick as your #3 and #4 is very poor.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Ludwick didn't do well in SD last year and don't see him doing much with no protection in the lineup.
    I agree that he wasn't what was advertised, but that doesn't mean he wont rebound to have a typical season either. And that seems more likely, and I would agree that his protection could be an issue and that someone (like Headley or Venable) will certainly need to come out of their cocoon and turn into that player they were supposed to be, which is still very possible.

CF is still very weak
    Hey nobody is suggesting that Maybin will morph into the next great CFer, but I think you are overlooking just how bad our CF was to begin the year last year. Having Tony Gwynn Jr in your lineup is having a 2nd pitchers spot, and the addition of Maybin and all his skills should be a very big upgrade and go a long way to plug what's been a pretty big hole on this team for years

and no one to replace Garland or his innings.
    Not really sure what you want.....I addressed the rotation already, and it looks like it could be a wash or even stronger than last year....Garland would have been nice to keep, but I think we'll get the same type of production out of a Stauffer-type of arm this year for far less. And having Latos in the starting rotation from the word go this year will be much nicer than not having him last year......Richard is what he is, and he's very very solid......Harang if he can remain healthy is going from a bandbox to one of the best pitchers parks around, and coming home, all of which could lead to a very successful season......Castro and Luebke could also play major factors next year in the starting rotation, and both of which might be better than Garland
    The dropoff between Hawpe (who isn't a good 1b) and AGon is quite hilarious and no one to replace Garland or his innings. Venable won't be ready to start the season either.
    Hawpe was primarily a 1b prior to being converted to OF due to being blocked by Helton.......and during his MiLB career posted some very good defensive #'s......so I'm not sure what makes you think he's not a very good 1b (.990 fielding % and a 10.00 RF/G at 1B).....Compared to AGon's MiLB of (.990 fpct and a 9.52 RF/G)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Your addressing of the rotation was very weak and needs a strong faith in Harang, something I don't have. I don't see how this rotation is anything but worse off than last year. One thing you have to worry about is Latos' ability to bounce back after a strong rookie year. I have the same worries for Bumgarner. The rotation just isn't as good or deep as it was last year, on paper of course.

Thanks for showing Hawpe's minor league numbers but they are irrelevant now that he is 32 and has a total of 9 games at 1B at the MLB level and they all came last year. His bat is the biggest dropoff and PetCo isn't going to help.

MLB ERA

It wasn't weak....lol.......From the start of last year the rotation is really only going to miss Garland.......That isn't the end of the world......and it's added a Latos which is a big upgrade......I also think they are actually deeper than last year as now Castro and Luebke are relevant and last year they were not.....

I think you are making more out of it than there really should be made....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I can say the same about your thinking that the Padres are better on paper

MLB ERA

And you'd be wrong again.....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB ERA

It wasn't weak....lol.......From the start of last year the rotation is really only going to miss Garland.......That isn't the end of the world......and it's added a Latos which is a big upgrade......I also think they are actually deeper than last year as now Castro and Luebke are relevant and last year they were not.....

How did they add Latos? He was in the rotation to start the year last year.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Padres signed SS Jason Bartlett to a two-year, $11 million contract extension with a vesting option for 2013.
    The deal will buy out Bartlett's final arbitration season and his first year of free agency, all at a fairly cheap rate. He was acquired from the Rays earlier this winter for pitchers Adam Russell, Brandon Gomes and Cesar Ramos, and second baseman Cole Figueroa. The 31-year-old Bartlett posted a poor .254/.324/.350 batting line in 2010 for Tampa Bay, but he could fare a little better in the NL West. He had a quality 879 OPS for the Rays in 2009.
    Not a bad deal since he's not blocking anyone.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Padres are getting Chad Qualls. NOW they are better on paper

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Padres signed C Gregg Zaun to a minor league contract.
    As expected. Zaun, who turns 40 in April, was batting .265/.350/.392 with two home runs and 14 RBI over 102 at-bats with the Brewers last season before undergoing shoulder surgery in June. Rob Johnson and Guillermo Quiroz will also compete for the backup catcher job behind Nick Hundley, but if healthy, the job should belong to Zaun.

MLB ERA

depth. Not too confusing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Its not confusing but the Padres have already acquired depth at catcher.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast