Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jake Peavy-Clayton Richard-Aaron Poreda tracker

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Jake Peavy-Clayton Richard-Aaron Poreda tracker

Sad to see Peavy ending his career like this but you have to give the Padres credit here. He was at the end of his contract and showing signs of decline. If all they got was Clayton Richard, so be it. A win is a win.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

He had just been signed to the biggest contract in Padres history, then the divorce hit, and the albatross was let go. As much as I'd like to give KT credit here had Moores not filed for divorce the Padres would likely be stuck hard with this one.

I haven't seen anywhere that his career is over though......He's still owed 37m including this year, and is under contract til 2012 with a cl opt for 2013. My question is since you're on the hook for the money, why not go the bullpen route and see if you can get that arm strength built back up ala Smoltz. I know there is really no precedent set for his injury, but why not since Starting seems to almost be totally out of the question. Maybe you can get some value from him out of the bullpen
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

How many people honestly thought that contract would end up as an albatross at the time it was signed? Certainly not any more than Johan Santana's contract.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Most didn't think the Padres would get him signed to begin with. And at the time it presented challenges still, but as soon as Moores filed for divorce it became a huge liability instantly.

Also the Mets have the ability to absorb more financial issues than the Padres, so Johan's contract was not nearly as potentially crippling to the team
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I didn't think it was an albatross at the time of the signing but I did think the Padres won in the trade at the time.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So Peavy is back in a big way. The Indians had just put up 534983547 runs against the Royals and Peavy locked them down; second game back.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345