Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jake Peavy-Clayton Richard-Aaron Poreda tracker

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Jake Peavy-Clayton Richard-Aaron Poreda tracker

That trade was murder. Never over pay for relievers!
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Termell Sledge (part of that AGon deal) is playing in Japan isn't he ? Anyone know how that ****ing guy is doing ?
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA

Peavy's injury could be career threatening

If this is the case (even if it isn't now), I think the question of who got the better end of this trade is closed

MLB ERA

Peav's done for the season.....to Pioneer a new surgery

Rick Gano

CHICAGO — The Associated Press Published on Friday, Jul. 09, 2010 8:28PM EDT Last updated on Friday, Jul. 09, 2010 8:30PM EDT

White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy is done for the season.

The 2007 NL Cy Young winner will have surgery on a detached right shoulder muscle Wednesday and hopes to be throwing again by spring training. He said his career isn't in jeopardy and he plans to be pitching again for the White Sox by early next season.

The 29-year-old Peavy was hurt delivering a pitch Tuesday night in a game against the Los Angeles Angels. The team described the injury as a detached latissimus dorsi muscle.

After an MRI exam Wednesday revealed the injury, Peavy consulted with several doctors, included renowned orthopedic surgeons Dr. James Andrews and Dr. Lewis Yocum.

The consensus, Peavy said, was to have surgery.

The procedure will be performed by Dr. Tony Romeo, a White Sox orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulder and elbow repairs, at Rush University Hospital-Oak Park.

“Obviously, this is unchartered territory because it's not common. While (pitchers) have torn lats, they've never completely torn it off the bone with no attachments left,” said Peavy, who took off his shirt in the locker-room Friday to show how far his muscle had retracted.

“And that's where we're at. We're hoping, around the start of the season, to be back in action,” he said. “Nobody's had the surgery in baseball that we know of. This has happened in baseball, but not completely detached. So I guess I'm a guinea pig and see how it turns out.”

Peavy said he would rejoin the White Sox after a short recovery period and do his rehab while staying with the team. Acquired at the trade deadline a year ago from the Padres, Peavy is signed through 2012 with a club option for 2013.

“My future is not in jeopardy. I know where I'm going to be next year and the year after that and I know I'm excited to be here in Chicago,” he said. “I'm excited for what the team's doing and anxious to get back as soon as possible.”

Entering Friday night's game against the Royals, the White Sox had won 22 of 27 to overcome a miserable start and get back in the AL Central race.

Peavy was hurt early in Chicago's victory over the Angels on Tuesday night. With two outs in the second inning, he delivered a 2-2 pitch to Mike Napoli and then jumped off the mound and raised his right arm before walking straight to the dugout with team trainer Herm Schneider.

Peavy had been bothered by a sore shoulder in June. He had one start pushed back two days and then threw a shutout the next time he went to the mound.

He reiterated that he had no regrets about his decision to keep pitching, rather than back off for a while.

“There's nothing that any of us could have done different, from the doctors to the trainers,” Peavy said. “I've never been hurt like this before, so it's hard to say that what you're feeling would lead to something tragic like this happening.

“If I would have known, then obviously I would have backed off it. It was just a grabbing sensation, nothing really sharp. It got sharp in a hurry.”

Peavy is 7-6 with a 4.63 ERA in 17 starts. He was 9-6 with a 3.45 ERA with San Diego and Chicago last season, when he was limited to a career-low 16 starts due to a strained tendon in his right ankle. He went 3-0 with a 1.35 ERA in three outings with the White Sox after being on the DL for three months.

The White Sox are expected to call up Daniel Hudson from triple-A Charlotte to start Sunday's game against the Royals.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    It's not spin......fact is we got something in return that panned out while saving a shitload......facts aren't spin....that's already got a thread......the point was simple.......they got healthy and replaced other pieces (like Peavy) that still weren't able to go with pieces that could.....I was simply using Peavy as the example.....don't get all crazy
    None of that says anything about the intent of the trade. Do you seriously think they would have traded Jake if Moores wasn't trying to slash payroll?

if it works out for us, and so far it is, we got lucky.

That's not to say credit isn't deserved for finding a good trade, though.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Do you seriously think they would have traded Jake if Moores wasn't trying to slash payroll?
    I've maintained the same position and that is for the right price he was gettable.....once the divorce hit, ownership started to shift and he hit the DL the trifecta was complete...Then Jake started to listen to the media spun rumors and got bitter and started to run his mouth a little, and fell into a little disfavor with the powers that be......then someone wanted to take the risk for him on the DL while giving us a decent return still, and jaded Jake was willing to wave (which he did not need to do that was all him)......

So while being a part (maybe the bigger part) payroll alone was NOT the deciding factor at the time he was dealt.

MLB ERA

If it's the bigger part doesn't that make it the deciding factor?

MLB ERA

First post updated finally

Poreda's killing me with his walk rate.

I have no idea how he manages to maintain a sub-3.00 ERA with so many walks.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I've maintained the same position and that is for the right price he was gettable.....once the divorce hit, ownership started to shift and he hit the DL the trifecta was complete...Then Jake started to listen to the media spun rumors and got bitter and started to run his mouth a little, and fell into a little disfavor with the powers that be......then someone wanted to take the risk for him on the DL while giving us a decent return still, and jaded Jake was willing to wave (which he did not need to do that was all him)......

So while being a part (maybe the bigger part) payroll alone was NOT the deciding factor at the time he was dealt.
    It still appears to me that cutting payroll was the catalyst to Peavy getting traded. Have you forgotten that their first attempt to trade him (he was healthy then) to the White Sox and he decided to stay in San Diego? Even if you believe he became bitter and wanted a trade, that is still up to the team to oblige, which they must have been happily to do so.

MLB ERA

First you'd have to believe they were trying to trade him.....and at that point, IMO at least, they made it clear they weren't trying to trade him, but were willing to listen to offers which any GM/team would do.....They weren't actively seeking to deal him......If they were he'd have been dealt while healthy

And no Hwood.......even the smallest piece can tip a scale. Without that smallest piece it might not tip whose to say which piece was "responsible" .......point is simple, it was not the only reason. If you guys wish to cling to that go ahead, but I have a very different viewpoint....

MLB ERA

First you'd have to believe they were trying to trade him.....and at that point, IMO at least, they made it clear they weren't trying to trade him, but were willing to listen to offers which any GM/team would do.....They weren't actively seeking to deal him......If they were he'd have been dealt while healthy
    They agreed on a deal before the injury.

The only reason it didn't happen is because Jake declined it with his NTC.

Why he changed his mind on a trade to the same team later I have no idea.

MLB ERA

Peavy rejects trade to White Sox | MLB.com: News

I guess it really wasn't best for his family.

MLB ERA

That was rumor........and so what if true.......I presume you're talking about with the ATL, because the deal with the Chisox according to the rumor mill just fell through, I think Jake only nix'd the deal to the ATL??? Anyway all that would mean anyhow is that someone was willing to deal what the Padres wanted for him ( and that's still up for debate since it rumors varied depending on the side )........NOT that they were actively seeking to trade him ( as in going out of their way to try to dump him) ........why do people think those two things are always connected.......He was NOT going to be dealt unless a team was going pay through the nose at that time, and make this team better....that was crystal clear then and now.......

MLB ERA

How was it a rumor?

It was agreed upon, reported, and subsequently denied.

And I'm not talking about the mix with ATL. I'm talking about the first pre-injury trade with the White Sox that I linked in the post right before the one you just made.

And the nixed trade involved the same players they eventually got for him.

Here it is again

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The Padres ace used his no-trade clause to block a potential trade that would have sent the All-Star right-hander to the White Sox in a 4-for-1 deal, which reportedly included Chicago's top pitching prospects in Aaron Poreda and Clayton Richard.

MLB ERA

I'd hate to "win" this trade by default, especially since it's looking more and more that Richard is the only useful player we got in return, but I'm starting to wonder if Jake will ever again be the pitcher he once was.

Peavy leaves rough rehab outing with discomfort - CBSSports.com

White Sox starting pitcher Jake Peavy toed the rubber for a rehab start Monday night in Double-A, but he didn't last long. In fact, he threw just 15 pitches before he was pulled with discomfort in the shoulder. (Chicago Tribune via Twitter)

In addition to the discomfort, Peavy was utteraly ineffective. He only got two outs, but gave up four hits and three earned runs (MiLB.com ). He was throwing strikes (10 of 15 pitches), so it was just a case of his stuff being bad.

The White Sox haven't released any information beyond that Peavy was removed from the game with the discomfort. It could be a minor setback or a major one. We don't have anyway of knowing until he's re-evaluated Tuesday. What we do know is he won't be with the big-league club soon after this setback.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast