Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blockbuster buzz starting to get louder

MLB ERA

Blockbuster buzz starting to get louder

well this should make us all feel a little better...

The Padres are talking about blockbusters, and it has nothing to do with the end of late fees.

Big deals. Big names. Huge change in the Home Team's tune.

"It has been our intention and we have been working for some time on the theory that if there's a deal there to be made, we can make it," Padres Chief Executive Officer Sandy Alderson said last night. "That doesn't mean we're going to acquire Alex Rodriguez. Nor does it mean we're looking for a fringe player."

What it does mean, evidently, is that the position previously espoused by Padres owner John Moores is now inoperative. When Moores said the Padres were operating "all-out" last month; when he insisted there was no more "wiggle room" in his player payroll, he may have overstated the situation by just a smidgen.

The minor deal disclosed after last night's 3-2 loss to San Francisco – pitchers Darrell May and Tim Redding for New York Yankees reliever Paul Quantrill – may only be the first in a series of midseason moves.

Alderson indicated that the Padres are in a position to act now and to act aggressively; that they need not off-load costly contracts in order to acquire quality players. Furthermore, Moores' claim that his hands are tied by baseball's debt service rule is now being characterized as an economic exaggeration.

"We have some issues with respect to the debt service rule," Alderson said. " . . . (But) If we don't make a deal between now and July 31, it won't be because of the debt service rule."

Alderson was standing on the dirt in front of the Padres' dugout, virtually the same spot Moores stood on June 4 when he cast doubt on his club's ability to obtain pennant insurance in a series of unequivocal and widely unpopular statements.

The subject surfaced because manager Bruce Bochy and General Manager Kevin Towers had alluded to major deals under discussion in separate interviews. If austerity is not yet an afterthought at Petco Park, the organizational tone has undergone an overnight change worthy of Ebenezer Scrooge.

"We've discussed big names with other clubs," Towers told MLB.com. "Big, big deals. It's not something that's imminent, but it could come back."

Some of the deals under discussion are surely driven by management's desire to pare its payroll obligations and gain more maneuverability, but cost is not the only consideration. The Padres' recurring efforts to trade first baseman Phil Nevin, for example, are motivated in part by his cantankerous personality and in part by the closing window on his limited no-trade clause.

Starting next year, Nevin's list of teams to which he can refuse trades expands from eight to all. Since the Padres are unlikely to offer Nevin a contract extension when his current deal expires after next season, it probably behooves them to move him now rather than risk losing him without compensation.

Earlier this season, the Padres discussed a deal with Boston that would have sent Nevin, third baseman Sean Burroughs and pitcher Brian Lawrence to the Red Sox in exchange for first baseman Kevin Millar, third baseman Bill Mueller, outfielder Trot Nixon and expatriate Padres pitcher David Wells. Those talks have since been tabled, but they suggest that the Padres are open to large-scale operations.

"We've still got some work to do," Towers said late last night. "We're looking to find some dollars within scouting and baseball operations. But come the end of July, we should have the ability to go out and do something."

Given their multiple medical issues, however, the Padres are not yet sure which holes will most need plugging as the July 31 trading deadline approaches.

Today, the top priority still looks like starting pitching, especially in light of Adam Eaton's problem finger. Yet the continuing uncertainty surrounding catcher Ramon Hernandez (wrist) and center fielder Dave Roberts (knee) tells Alderson to "keep some powder dry."

Until their circumstances crystallize, the Padres can count only on sustained speculation. July is the month when bad baseball clubs face up to their flaws and look toward the future. It is the time when good teams seek swift improvement.

"It's normal in baseball at this time," Bochy said before last night's game. "It's always been that way. Clubs are calling about your players, but there's nothing really going on. . . . "

The words had barely escaped Bochy's mustache before the manager caught himself in hyperbole and signaled that wheels were not only in motion, but picking up speed.

"It's part of the game," Bochy said. "I think it's getting to be decision time for a lot of ballclubs. They're sending feelers out and I'm sure we're doing the same."

This is not to say money is no object for the Padres. But it may not be an insurmountable obstacle.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...2sullivan.html
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    If they had just said that to begin with, nobody would have balked......They haven't made any promises, but have given hope to the loyal fanbase....... Moores take notes

MLB ERA
    pff, what do you think of the would-be deal with the Red Sox?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    pff, what do you think of the would-be deal with the Red Sox?
    Nevin(.268-9-47), Burroughs(.256-1-14) & BLaw( 5-7, 4.34 ERA)
    for
    Kevin Millar(.273-4-30), Bill Mueller(.287-4-33), Trot Nixon(.292-8-41) and David Wells ( 6-4, 5.04 ERA)

if you have a different arm in there than Wells, then I'd really have to look hard at this, like an Arroyo....someone younger...... it would be sad to see the Burroughs project come to a close, but that kid either needs to ride the pine for a few years or get traded. I think he only has one more option left.

Mueller is a huge upgrade at 3rd.....he may not hit 30 HR's but he will get extra base hits unlike Burroughs who does neither.
    Miller is a slight downgrade but not much, and Klesko could take over 1b duties at this point with Nixon in the LF spot. So this deal has enough interest to really look at, but Wells is a kill the deal addition IMO

Rookie ERA
    yuck.

I wouldn't dig that deal at ALL.

I'd take Burroughs' D over Mueller at 3rd.. but when push comes to shove.. if Burroughs can't hit.. he's gotta go.

and Wells for BLaw is a downgrade as of now.. Wells has nothing left in the tank and has been hit hard in the AL this season.

I don't know.. if we're just gonna throw a bat in at 3rd.. why not Nady?

I've heard Cameron rumors again.. boy would I love to have him in Center.
    Nobody lookin out for nobody
    Maybe we should try and help somebody or be somebody
    Instead of being somebody that makes the news
    So everybody can tweet about it
    And then they start to R.I.P. about it
    And four weeks later nobody even speaks about it.

MLB ERA
    Kobe I agree with you there.........Nady should be starting everyday.....he's the only other guy we have that can say he's posting stats.....his BA is down, but everything else is up compared to the other crap we have......he's got to play everyday......

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Where the hell has Sean Burrough's power gone? Even his gap power is way down this year. I know he has had some surgery on his knee but I was really hoping for more as I imagine all Padres fans were. What are the chances that he could turn it around? I really haven't watched much of the Padres so I am a bit in the dark about him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I remember when Burroughs and Blalock were being declared the next greats at 3B.
    Almost true, right.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    I know what you mean Zito.

With his numbers going down each season rather than going up as everyone expected they would as he matured; he looks like a bust. It's a shame too, I took him the past few seasons for my fantasy teams, big mistake.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by The Philly Fanatic
    I know what you mean Zito.

With his numbers going down each season rather than going up as everyone expected they would as he matured; he looks like a bust. It's a shame too, I took him the past few seasons for my fantasy teams, big mistake.
    His last two starts against the best team in league were amazing. He threw a two hitter tonight and outpitched a cy young contendor in Buehrle.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EdoC
    His last two starts against the best team in league were amazing. He threw a two hitter tonight and outpitched a cy young contendor in Buehrle.
    They were talking about Burroughs, not Zito.

Rookie ERA
    How bad is Roberts' injury? If hes out for a few games, why not try Nady in center? Id think you would need to play him more somewhere.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by The Philly Fanatic
    Where the hell has Sean Burrough's power gone? Even his gap power is way down this year. I know he has had some surgery on his knee but I was really hoping for more as I imagine all Padres fans were. What are the chances that he could turn it around? I really haven't watched much of the Padres so I am a bit in the dark about him.
    2003 Burroughs had 39 extra base hits......total.......
    2004 he had 28 extra base hits........total.......what "power".......this is the single biggest knock on Burroughs. He has NO power, not even doubles power.......Sean doesn't need to hit HR's, but he does need to have 30+ doubles a year and hit .300, without HR ability............he's nothing but punch and judy at this point.........it's sad......and his defense is a complete mess.......WTF is this always throwing on the run crap........lmfao.........once again Sean you're not a SS......stop trying act like one......

Worse yet......... he's got the skills ........ if we do move him he'll be golden for someone else.....he is only 24

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by guybrush77
    How bad is Roberts' injury? If hes out for a few games, why not try Nady in center? Id think you would need to play him more somewhere.
    I don't think it's serious........ it's a guess, but I think they wanted to give him the extra couple days with the allstar break to recover from all his bumps and bruises.........

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Well the power potential (not huge power, but still power) looked to be there in 2003 as you pointed out. 40 XBH for a 22 year old is pretty good. Like you mentioned he needs to hit doubles, needs that gap power. After his 03 campaign at such a young age I was thinking he would one day be a .300+ hitter, 10-15 homers and a good amount of doubles. Sadly for Padres fans he isn't living up to his once had hype.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast