Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Padres payroll discussion

Future All-American
    AA ERA

Re: The Padres are cutting payroll! LOLz!

Hey fellars whats up, havent been around for awhile, glad to see I havent missed much...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

But we have missed you.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Peavy unlikely to remain with Padres | padres.com: News

Padres to seek upgrades via trades | padres.com: News

Just to name two I read. These were my sources of reasoning about the payroll along with everyting else.
    I skimmed through that bottom one before making my post (didn't have time to really read everything cuz I'm at work)

Any rate I did miss this part when I was skimming.

One of the reasons the Padres won't be nearly as active in free agency as they have been in the past is because the team will have a lower payroll in 2009 than last season ($73.6 million). No one has said publicly what that figure will be, though it could be closer to $50 million, and perhaps even lower, according to a team source.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Padres payroll discussion

One of the reasons the Padres won't be nearly as active in free agency as they have been in the past is because the team will have a lower payroll in 2009 than last season ($73.6 million). No one has said publicly what that figure will be, though it could be closer to $50 million, and perhaps even lower, according to a team source.

Wow slashing, cutting, and yet nobody has said where payroll will be......shazam you're listening to a media created idea......and $45-50m is where payroll is minus Maddux, Iguchi, Barrett, Clark & Wolf and that's not slashing payroll, that's not bringing back old, decrepit or just plain bad players......

Slashing or Cutting payroll, aka a firesale, means you're dumping a LOAD of good/great players with bigger than avg contracts to free up space..........that is NOT what is going on here.......if you still think it is.......you're just not very bright.
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Damn the Padres official website citing $50 million or lower mulitple, Towers actively trying to trade Peavy and Greene and pulling Hoffman's deal off the table!! What was I thinking?? And after all that no one said firesale or anything close I will be back when Peavy is traded.

MLB ERA

Peavy isn't being actively shopped.......in fact he's not even being discussed at the moment......

Teams called KT.........KT listed his demands if they wanted him to even entertain a deal for Peavy........the teams tried to low ball.........KT pulled the plug.......that's where we are as of today......Peavy is NOT even in discussions

Padres don't bring back old, crappy or both FA types, go with their younger kids and payroll lowers as a result going into the FA market......no moves have been made yet to add or lower payroll and the clown patrol is already trying to use his crystal ball to see what our 2009 payroll will be......and the Padres site has said that they don't know and are just guessing..........LIKE YOU

MLB ERA

And after all that no one said firesale or anything close I will be back when Peavy is traded.
    See, you guys are arguing in circles here and this is why I quit the discussion a long time ago.

This entire argument is centering around the concept of whether "payroll slashing" means "firesale" or if it just means what comes from trading players who happen to have high payroll figures.

Semantics.

And if Peavy is traded please don't come here and say "I told you so" because nobody in this thread is saying Peavy won't be traded.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    Peavy isn't being actively shopped.......in fact he's not even being discussed at the moment......

Teams called KT.........KT listed his demands if they wanted him to even entertain a deal for Peavy........the teams tried to low ball.........KT pulled the plug.......that's where we are as of today......Peavy is NOT even in discussions

Padres don't bring back old, crappy or both FA types, go with their younger kids and payroll lowers as a result going into the FA market......no moves have been made yet to add or lower payroll and the clown patrol is already trying to use his crystal ball to see what our 2009 payroll will be......and the Padres site has said that they don't know and are just guessing..........LIKE YOU
    Yes Peavy is being shopped at this moment. Towers is focused on the Cubs.
    Teams called KT after he made it very clear Peavy was available.
    Peavy is still in discussions
    Padres site never said they were guessing or did not know but simply said they sourced someone from inside the organization.
    You would know a lot more if you read things instead of browsed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post

And if Peavy is traded please don't come here and say "I told you so" because nobody in this thread is saying Peavy won't be traded.
    No, it will be much more than that!

MLB ERA

No, it will be much more than that!
    It'll just be the same argument all over again.

You'll come in here and say "See, they traded him to slash payroll!!! LOLz!"

Then PFF will respond "No! They traded him to improve the farm!!!" and go on to discuss whomever they traded him for.

Then you'll cite the fact that trading him made payroll go down, throw in a bunch of exclamation points and s

Then PFF will tell you you're a fool because they obviously did it to improve the farm and he'll throw in a bunch of s

in the meantime I'll sit back and shake my head as you two continue to argue semantics and speculation of other people's intentions.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

All the while I'll be laughing since I am the only one not separating cutting payroll and rebuilding and all the while I'll be right.....again.Rebuilding=salary cuts, salary cuts=rebuiliding. All rebuilding modes are salary related. Never said otherwise.

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Hoffman, Peavy show Padres feeling the pinch

Future All-American
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    It'll just be the same argument all over again.

You'll come in here and say "See, they traded him to slash payroll!!! LOLz!"

Then PFF will respond "No! They traded him to improve the farm!!!" and go on to discuss whomever they traded him for.

Then you'll cite the fact that trading him made payroll go down, throw in a bunch of exclamation points and s

Then PFF will tell you you're a fool because they obviously did it to improve the farm and he'll throw in a bunch of s

in the meantime I'll sit back and shake my head as you two continue to argue semantics and speculation of other people's intentions.
    This definitely gets my vote for post of the year, LOL that was funny.

MLB ERA

Yeah you gotta love when someone brings up the use of emoticons........****ing brilliant

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345