Thread: Moores says no more money !

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Moores says no more money !

Well looks like we should stop going to see games now and send the message to upper management and the ownership.......they don't spend......we don't spend.......tit for tat.......we're not asking them to break the bank......just go get what we so obviously need.........or sell the team and get the hell outta here........empty promises are getting old........

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...5sullivan.html

MLB ERA
    finally got a chance to get this thread open.

Anyways, If Moores doesn't want to spend more money, I wish he would at least not let the word get out to the public like this. This is a moot point for me, as I can't go to games right now anyways, but not going to games en mass would NOT help matters. The only thing that would accomplish, as I stated in the MVP Pitcher thread, would be to convince Moores to spend even less. Like it or not Moores controls how much he spends, not us. Getting uppity because he insists on forcing the GM to make a winning team with X amount of dollars when we feel it should be X+Y and not going to games is only going to decrease his profits and make him feel he can't even afford to spend what he is. Payroll then goes down from where it's at now, KT can't even put together a competitive team, let alone an "over the top" team, and the neverending cycle continues.

Would I like for Moores to sell the team to someone else who's willing to put more money in? Yes. But since i'm realistic and realize I have no control over that, I would, if I was capapble of doing so, not want to give Moores any excuse to spend even less than he is.

Call this "bowing down to the man" or whatever you want, but there's 2 reasons I would not stop going to games just because Moores doesn't want to spend more

1. I will NOT deprive myself of the opportunity to go to a major league baseball game to make a useless point that no one will pay any attention to

and

2. I realize that the ONLY thing not going to the game will really accomplish, if it's done en mass, is to convince the small market owner to spend even less than he already is.

If an owner proves to be more about the profit than the winning team then you bet your ass if he sees income going down he's going to compensate by lowering his outcome, otherwise known as player payroll.

Let's just enjoy our competitive team and hope KT/Alderson has the know-how to put continue to put a winning team together with what they have to work with. It's been done with less (payroll)
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Padres

I think you make a very good points, however that's sounds to me like the common attitude here in San Diego and has been for 36 years......."oh lets just enjoy the fact that we can go watch a MLB team, and be happy with what we have...." and that's just not good enough anymore......

1. We the people got them the new Ballpark based on the understanding that the Padres would increase payroll past just the renewal of existing players contracts, to bring in the guys needed to get us to the next level.

2. It is about the fans......agree or not baseball is for the fans, and without our continued support, this team folds up and is contracted before Moores even gets to San Diego.

3. Nobody is saying to Moores that he must break the bank...........just get the one or two guys we need to fill in the obvious areas we're lacking in.

What I'd really like to know is why bring someone like Sandy Alderson on board if there are not going to be any changes ? Kevin Towers has done all the work to this point, and if we're not going to add guys, he's already put together a 1st place team without help.....

I'd also like to know if the Padres are just going to idle at $64mil payroll.....or if so, then we might as well move guys like Nady & Hernandez now......one is a Boras kid and will be receiving insane money, the other is the best catcher in the NL right now and is looking for 4-$40 mil........

If Moores means he isn't going to increase payroll on guys so that he can afford to keep all the guys we currently have.........then that's a completely different story.......and I'd very much like to hear that version of it.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.........laying a blanket statement of "we're not increasing payroll" can lead us to only one conclusion......I don't like where that end is myself......

bye the way.........hope all is good on the boat amigo.......

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    AARRRGGGHHHHH !!!!!!
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    I think you make a very good points, however that's sounds to me like the common attitude here in San Diego and has been for 36 years......."oh lets just enjoy the fact that we can go watch a MLB team, and be happy with what we have...." and that's just not good enough anymore......
    Yes and no. blowing off all of my points with this response makes it sound like I could care less about the quality of the team just as long as I can go watch a major league baseball team. You wouldn't be seeing my first reply if payroll was so low that they couldn't even put together the team they do have. ie 2001-2003-ish, early 1990s
    Since Moores seems to be happy with mid to upper 60 mil and They seem capable of putting together a good team with such I feel comfortable pushing that viewpoint

1. We the people got them the new Ballpark based on the understanding that the Padres would increase payroll past just the renewal of existing players contracts, to bring in the guys needed to get us to the next level.
    And he did increase payroll... unless i'm mistaken and payroll was around 65 mil from 99-2003. As far as discriminating between payroll being increased via extending contracts and acquiring new talent...I don't see how either matters. With a lower, non-contendable payroll guys like Nevin, Klesko, BLaw, Trevor and such wouldn't be here right now. As long as he puts a payroll that allows Towers (and Alderson) to put a winning team together that's all that matters. Whether that team is put together via keeping exsisting talent, acquiring new talent, or a combination of the two is at the discretion of Towers and Alderson and they are the ones that should be judged in this regard.

2. It is about the fans......agree or not baseball is for the fans, and without our continued support, this team folds up and is contracted before Moores even gets to San Diego.
    Of course if the fans choose to stop going to baseball games the Owner could always elect to move the team elsewhere to a place he thinks he can get more fans to come in...which was about to happen until some guy named John Moores bought the team and kept them in San Diego.

3. Nobody is saying to Moores that he must break the bank...........just get the one or two guys we need to fill in the obvious areas we're lacking in.
    And I fully agree with this...I just simply don't think that boycotting PetCo is going to make him suddenly change his mind in regards to spending that extra 5-10 mil to allow that.

What I'd really like to know is why bring someone like Sandy Alderson on board if there are not going to be any changes ? Kevin Towers has done all the work to this point, and if we're not going to add guys, he's already put together a 1st place team without help.....
    The point to bringing in Alderson is to strenghthen the GM position and be able to continue to build winning teams every year. The difference between your mindset (and mine, as well to a certain extent) and his is that he feels this can be done with a lower payroll than we do.

Kevin Towers has put together a 1st place team thus far...maybe Moores just felt that Towers needed help. (the team wasn't exactly doing so hot when the move was made)

BTW, since you're labeling the team a "1st place team".....what's the issue with payroll then? If Towers has already put together a 1st place team with what he's got, what difference does it really make to have more? That's just food for thought, I really do agree with your standpoint in regards to how high payroll should be, just not the whole "I guess we should stop going to games" sentiment.

I'd also like to know if the Padres are just going to idle at $64mil payroll.....or if so, then we might as well move guys like Nady & Hernandez now......one is a Boras kid and will be receiving insane money, the other is the best catcher in the NL right now and is looking for 4-$40 mil........
    So if he's not going to allow Towers/Alderson to spend more to get any kind've high priced mid-season pick up you think they should give the best catcher in the NL away and cripple the team's chances to win this year, simply because we may not be able to resign him next season?

BTW, Boras or no Boras, X isn't going to get much of a huge contract with the playing time/production he's showing right now. That's not to say X isn't doing good when he is in the game, I just don't forsee even Scott Boras milking out a huge contract for a 27 year old guy who's never played a full season.

If Moores means he isn't going to increase payroll on guys so that he can afford to keep all the guys we currently have.........then that's a completely different story.......and I'd very much like to hear that version of it.
    I didn't read the article due to slow internet connection, just assumed the blanket statement that the thread title implies. If it is this, then I'm definitely not too up in arms about his remark. I'd like to see a mid-season upgrade... but that could still happen. When you trade, you lose payroll too, let's just see what KT/Alderson do.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.........laying a blanket statement of "we're not increasing payroll" can lead us to only one conclusion......I don't like where that end is myself......
    I have to say I don't like the blanket "we're not increasing payroll" statement myself, regardless of the intentions and regardless of my viewpoint on it. All that serves to do is create disdain in fans, making them feel they're somehow being cheated because payroll doesn't continue to rise....

bye the way.........hope all is good on the boat amigo.......
    Things are going good. Spend half the time on here waiting for pages to load and responding every now and then. Ah, the benifits of being in charge

I was just in Hong Kong last week, which was pretty cool.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Well slow connection or whatever......you are the only other person responding regularly....lol.....thanks for the fresh thoughts on the subjects......

Moores took the team, gave them new life, fed into this franchise a chance to compete, and all I'm saying is that I sure hope he doesn't think he's done yet ! Towers did a great job putting together a team that is competitive, but I sure hope he doesn't think he's done yet either......1st place is great........winning in the post season is better......I'm all for the latter myself.......and I think we're still in need of upgrades at certain spots.......not an overhaul at all......not a break the bank move by any means......an upgrade.....the same move that should have been made last year at the allstar break.....that's all.....

GO PADRES !!