Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kevin Towers

MLB ERA

Re: Kevin Towers

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    I disagree and site cause and effect to be the reasoning behind their lack of consistent playing time, or location, or spot in the order.

If KT gets a CFer 2 weeks ago when it was clear that he wasn't just rusty, then half the season to date might be salvaged....and since it's the last two weeks that we really crapped the bed, it very well might be different.

KT's lack of action is the cause............the rest is the effect......
    Your logic is flawed.

They're paid to play the game and peform adaquately at the positions their supposed to be able to play.

If they can't do it adaquately it's their fault, not Kevin Towers' and not Jim Edmonds.

This is like telling me if my boss gives me an extra task at work and I screw up it's his fault and not mine that I screwed it up.

Makes no sense.

Now if you're suggesting that mentally those guys should be able to adapt and handle it.....fine......more reason to dump them and get quality players in here.....whose job is that again ?
    Well, yeah, that's on Towers, but now you're asking him to completely rebuild the outfield in a span of two weeks in April?

Easier said than done.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

As much flack as he received by Padres fans (some of which deservingly so) Phil Nevin is a shining example of a guy who willingly changed positions when needed and didn't let it affect his hitting.

Granted he would let position of the outfield fences at PetCo affect it, but that's a different story.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Your logic is flawed.

They're paid to play the game and peform adaquately at the positions their supposed to be able to play.

If they can't do it adaquately it's their fault, not Kevin Towers' and not Jim Edmonds.

This is like telling me if my boss gives me an extra task at work and I screw up it's his fault and not mine that I screwed it up.

Makes no sense.
    No it would be closer to your boss changing your job description, and telling you your doing something else one day, something else the next, and a 3rd thing the following day while expecting you to do it well even though you've only done it once that year........then changing you back to your original position and expecting you to be up to speed on all things related to that job.....chances are you're going to lag until you're up to speed again because bouncing around isn't easy......some do it better than others, some can't handle it......if all players could, then all players would be great pinch hitters.....

Well, yeah, that's on Towers, but now you're asking him to completely rebuild the outfield in a span of two weeks in April?

Easier said than done.
    You do realize that's exactly what he did right ? Went with a completely different OF than we had during Spring Training ? Headley, Gerut, Giles was our best OF during spring.....that's so far from what we got once April arrived.....
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA

No it would be closer to your boss changing your job description, and telling you your doing something else one day, something else the next, and a 3rd thing the following day while expecting you to do it well even though you've only done it once that year........then changing you back to your original position and expecting you to be up to speed on all things related to that job.....chances are you're going to lag until you're up to speed again because bouncing around isn't easy......some do it better than others, some can't handle it......if all players could, then all players would be great pinch hitters.....
    Your analogy would make sense if CF and LF were worlds apart....but they're not.

It's not like they're asking him to play LF one day, Catcher the next, and then Short Stop the following day.

LF and CF are on Scott Hairston's proverbial resume, if he can't handle playing both positions then he doesn't deserve to be on a major league roster.

You do realize that's exactly what he did right ? Went with a completely different OF than we had during Spring Training ? Headley, Gerut, Giles was our best OF during spring.....that's so far from what we got once April arrived.....
    Spring Training was more than 2 weeks ago, so no he didn't do that.

Furthermore, Edmonds was hurt in ST, and that's the only reason he wasn't a part of that OF.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    LF and CF are on Scott Hairston's proverbial resume, if he can't handle playing both positions then he doesn't deserve to be on a major league roster.
    I agree that he shouldn't be starting on this team, but until this year CF was NOT on his resume and no 7 innings played doesn't count......I wouldn't say he doesn't belong on a ML roster, but not as a starter.

Spring Training was more than 2 weeks ago, so no he didn't do that.
    HUH ? This OF in spring was mashing, and playing great, spring breaks and we end up with a totally different OF, 1 week later a totally different OF.......yah he did....

Furthermore, Edmonds was hurt in ST, and that's the only reason he wasn't a part of that OF.
    Well no shit, and had Edmonds not been hurt, they'd have realized he was done before April.....do you think KT would have pulled the trigger earlier ?

MLB ERA

I agree that he shouldn't be starting on this team, but until this year CF was NOT on his resume and no 7 innings played doesn't count......I wouldn't say he doesn't belong on a ML roster, but not as a starter.
    Center field and Left Field are not the vastly different positions you make them out to be.

Besides, isn't Hairston hitting better when he's played CF this year?

By your logic he should be the full time CFer.

HUH ? This OF in spring was mashing, and playing great, spring breaks and we end up with a totally different OF, 1 week later a totally different OF.......yah he did....
    Do you own a calendar? Spring training was more than 2 weeks ago.

I thought we were discussing the past two weeks here, the timeframe in which KT was apparently not "doing his job" because he didn't replace Edmonds with Gerut, which you're arguing would have made a world of difference even though it would not have.

The ST OF as compared to the opening day OF is irrelevant.

This portion of the debate started because you finally agreed (to a degree) with my assessment of the rest of the OF and then went on to suggest that they may need to be replaced as well, and then followed it up with the rhetorical question "and who's job is that?"

That is where I stated that it's silly to think he can adequately replace the entire outfield in two weeks.

And by replace, I mean with players that can and will produce. Not with warm bodies that aren't the current players playing those positions.

Well no shit, and had Edmonds not been hurt, they'd have realized he was done before April.....do you think KT would have pulled the trigger earlier ?
    Probably not.

But since we have no way of knowing that let's just focus on what's really taken place in the real world.

Future All-American
    AA ERA

I'm hoping that if we are too far back by June/July, they just shit can Edmonds, Clark, PMac, etc and bring up Hundley, Antonelli, Gerut, Headley, and anyone else who is deserving to play out the rest of the year at a major league level so that when they start next year they have the experience and exposure and are ready to go and to hell with the rest of this season. Make it a AAAA team in preparation for next.

MLB ERA

I'm hoping Edmonds is gone before June

Future All-American
    AA ERA

Yeah great but if that doesnt change things, then do like I said and bring them all up for some big league time in preparation for next season.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

http://www.xxsportsradio.com/common/...io/40/1188.mp3

He sounds like he's ready to get rid of Edmonds.

MLB ERA

Luke Carlins contract was purchased by the Padres yesterday.......he's coming to San Diego

MLB ERA

who?

MLB ERA

Luke Carlin......catcher.........good........lost in the system with guys like Hundley, Lobaton & Canham ....not really sure why, because he's really pretty solid......I expected him up last year, and honestly forgot about him this year....

Also Gerut was NOT in the Portland lineup tonight suggesting that he's on a plane to San Diego and will be the 3rd guy to come from Portland in the last two days......

Chase Headley was 5-5 tonight and his BA is up to .304

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234