Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Padres rotation = #1 in the majors, according to mlb.com

MLB ERA

Padres Padres rotation = #1 in the majors, according to mlb.com

The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Which teams have the best rotations?

No. 1: San Diego Padres
    The Padres led the Majors in ERA last season, and there's no reason to believe they can't do it again. The three keys to their rotation -- Jake Peavy, Chris Young and Greg Maddux -- are all back, and though some might expect a decline from Maddux at 42 years of age, the Padres aren't worried. Especially not when Young and Peavy, who combined for 28 wins and a 2.79 ERA last year, seemingly still have room to improve. Don't underestimate the addition of former rookie sensation Mark Prior, either. Though the odds of Prior making an impact remain low, his presence could pay significant dividends down the line.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Padres rotation = #1 in the majors, according to mlb.com

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Any rotation with Randy Wolf in it has to be docked some points. Prior's iffy too. I think the Mets have a better one because I don't think El Duque will make the rotation or even pitch and the Dodgers and Dbacks have good ones too. Angels are no laughing matter either. Randy Wolf alone raises that ERA.

Padre Legend
    Rookie ERA

It means nothing if they don't put a decent offense, last year we should have won 100 games.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Welcome back jacs!

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Any rotation with Randy Wolf in it has to be docked some points. Prior's iffy too. I think the Mets have a better one because I don't think El Duque will make the rotation or even pitch and the Dodgers and Dbacks have good ones too. Angels are no laughing matter either. Randy Wolf alone raises that ERA.
    Pedro is far more of a concern in my mind than Randy Wolf. Plus, if El Duque doesn't make the ML roster, Pelfrey gets his spot, and Pelfrey hardly tore it up in the majors last year. Hell, he had a 4+ ERA at AAA.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So by your logic Pedro is Prior and Pelfrey is Wolf.

Pedro and Prior are similar in that they are both huge question marks. However, Pedro is NOT Prior if you're comparing the two rotations, Pedro must be Chris Young, and Chris Young is inherently better than Pedro. Pelfrey needs to prove himself, whereas Wolf has done that already.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I meant that Pedro and Prior are huge question marks due to injuries. Wolf has proved himself to be awful and injury prone over the past couple of seasons.

Yes, but Johan, Pedro and co. are inferior to the staff the Pads have assembled.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I disagree.
    Johan=Peavy
    Pedro<Young
    Perez>Maddux
    Maine>Prior-I've actually seen Maine pitch in the past two years
    Pelfrey/Hernandez=Wolf

Just how I see it. The Angels look even better.

Mine:

Johan=Peavy
    Pedro<Young
    Maine>Maddux
    Perez=Prior
    Pelfrey/Hernandez<Wolf

MLB ERA

I agree that Young and Peavy are better than Johan and Pedro. But I think you underestimate the rest of the rotation for the Mets. Johan is as good as Peavy. Pedro (if healthy) can be a very good 2 starter. Maine and Perez both won 15 games last year, and will likely improve on that. Our three and four starter each had 15 wins and ERA's under 4.00. Considering that they will likely improve, Perez with his command and Maine with his consistency throughout the season(and assumedly no hip pain this year). How many rotations can boast 3 guys who won 15+ games last year, and a guy like Pedro. The 5th starter spot will likely be a combo of El Duque(who pitched 150 innings with an ERA under 4 last year), and Pelfrey(in his last 4 starts had shown improvement, going 3-1 with a ERA around 4.50). Considering these two will combine to be our 5th starter, and the other 4 should be very very very good, I can't see how a rotation including Prior(Mr Injury), Wolf(who had an ERA in the same region as Pelfrey, while pitching in Petco, and with much much more experience, and little reasonable expectation for improvement), and Maddux(who was very good last year, especially considering his age, but is probably not as good a 3-starter as what the Mets have) can be considered better than that of the Mets.

*Shrug*

Maybe I just really don't like the Mets.

OK, I really don't like the Mets.

MLB ERA

LJ- the problem I have is that I have a question mark on all four of your SP.
    Santana- how will switching leagues effect him?
    Pedro- Will he stay healthy?
    Maine/Perez- Can they duplicate there performance from last year? Or will they be one year wonders?

MLB ERA

I can understand that argument, I really can. However, in reality, I don't see how Santana can be negatively affected. He has an ERA around 2.20 against the teams in the NL East. He will face the pitcher, and he will pitch in pitcher friendly Shea Stadium. Pedro is a question mark, but a better question mark than anyone else. Maine was a top prospect, and he had 16 starts the year before with similar success. Perez was once an Ace, and he managed to win 15 games despite control issues. I don't think that either one will regress too much. Even if they do, as the 3 and 4 starters, with this offense, they will be pretty successful.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast