MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Spring Training thread

Geez, SD fans do live under a rock. Joakim Soria: Royals closer, plucked off the Padres in the 2006 Rule 5 draft. You'll find him on someone's team in your fantasy baseball league.

MLB ERA

I was referring to Guevara.

I knew about Joakim

Not like the Padres need a closer, though
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Oh, my bad, then.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rule 5 guy
    the Padres acquired right-handed pitcher Carlos Guevara from Florida in exchange for cash considerations. Guevara, 25, was selected by the Marlins in the Major League portion (5th overall) of the 2007 Rule 5 Draft before being traded to the Padres. He went 1-2 with 16 saves and a 2.32 ERA (16 ER/62.0 IP) over 51 relief appearances for Double-A Chattanooga in the Cincinnati Reds organization in 2007. Guevara recorded 87 strikeouts compared to 23 walks, averaging 12.63 strikeouts per 9.0 IP while limiting opponents to a .226 average. Over parts of five minor league seasons in the Reds organization, Guevara has a career record of 11-13 with 40 saves, a 2.90 ERA (96 ER/297.2 IP), 384 strikeouts and 105 walks. He has appeared in 202 games, making five starts.
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Padres optioned OF Chase Headley and RHP Jared Wells to Triple-A Portland.
    The Padres' refusal this winter to move Kevin Kouzmanoff to left field and go with Headley at third base could cost them several games this year. They'll say Headley isn't ready to play left field in the majors and maybe they're right, but it was their choice to move him even though he was better than the incumbent at his natural position. With Headley gone, it looks like Paul McAnulty will have a spot as a bench player.
    I agree with the part in bold.

MLB ERA

I don't think Kouz could have made the transition to the OF as well as Headley apparently has.

They also wouldn't have had the reasonable option to put Kouz in AAA to get more work at that position like they do with Chase.

But, who knows, I'm more just playing Devil's Advocate here and stating what their reasoning most likely was behind the decision.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I just think if someone is better at third as Headley is, you should play the better man. Kouz is young enough to make the transition. The Indians were thinking of doing it and even had him going in that direction. He would have had all winter and spring to work on it and be helped out by Hairston. I have no doubt we will be seeing Headley no later than July.

MLB ERA

Kouz isn't athletic enough, or have the arm to play OF.......period

Headley is, and does.....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He's athletic enough to play third but not the OF? I think Kouz can play left just as good as Headley given the opportunity just as I think Headley can play third better than Kouz. The arm strength you have a point. If Carlos Lee can play left field...you know the rest. Period? Laughable. The better man should play the position...period

MLB ERA

Yes he can play 3rd and not OF......this shocks you for some reason, why am I not surprised ?....Kouz doesn't run well.....Headley, while no burner, runs far better.....Kouz doesn't have the arm.....Headley threw a guy out at home already showing he does.......Kouz wouldn't have the range.......Headley has shown he can get to most balls......So when I say Kouz isn't athletic enough, and Headley is.....it's 100% accurate. That being said....lets avoid the anyone can play the OF side of this please....we're talking about two specific players and that is all.....and the better choice WAS moved out there to play....PERIOD !!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Third base is a much more athletic position than left so yes I am surprised. I don't think its up for debate that third is more demanding. Kouz can run well enough to play the OF and the better third baseman should play third as it is harder to play than LF. Headley's arm is better used at third. I would rather have the better third baseman playing than a weaker third baseman and LFer. The writer of the article agrees with what I have been saying all along. Now instead of having both Headley and Kouz in the lineup, you just have one. Oh yeah, PERIOD!

MLB ERA

3rd baseman is more athletic no......different skillset yes.....

Tracking down a flyball on the run is very different than play a 1 step dive.....the hotcorner needs a sure fielding glove and good accurate arm from spots on the IF.......the OF is a very different skillset, and if you can play one, that doesn't mean you can play the other.......Headley possesses the skills to make the crossover, while Kouz does NOT......hence he's the more athletic guy.

As far as having only one in the lineup......I can't do anything for the contractual parts of Gerut and PMacs situations which are forcing the FO's hand by sending Headley down to AAA.....but Headley will be up soon enough, and we will have both guys in the lineup......

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    3rd baseman is more athletic no......different skillset yes.....

Tracking down a flyball on the run is very different than play a 1 step dive.....the hotcorner needs a sure fielding glove and good accurate arm from spots on the IF.......the OF is a very different skillset, and if you can play one, that doesn't mean you can play the other.......Headley possesses the skills to make the crossover, while Kouz does NOT......hence he's the more athletic guy.

As far as having only one in the lineup......I can't do anything for the contractual parts of Gerut and PMacs situations which are forcing the FO's hand by sending Headley down to AAA.....but Headley will be up soon enough, and we will have both guys in the lineup......
    My point exactly!! And yes third is a more demanding, athletic position than LF and a different skill set of course. If the Yankees can win championships with Chuck Knoblauch making to switch from second to LF, Kouz can do it. The Indians thought so too. I am not in the minority here. Like I said, Headley will be up no later than July but the Padres will have cost themselves some games as the writer pointed out.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast