Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Southern California Fires

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Southern California Fires

Quote Originally Posted by 777rak View Post
    off topic
    Hey here is what I think is going to happen(though I hope this does not happen on Mon){Charger game might get moved to Mon.} The Chargers are going to do what the Saints did. They are going to win their next games and make it to the playoffs.
    Uh, the Saints lost virtually all their games when they moved out of New Orleans.

Anyway, we're supposed to be talking what Dubya declared a major disaster, in which handing disaster relief over to FEMA far surpasses the damages of handing your team over to Norval and Ted Cottrell.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Here's an update as of 7pm tonight. I talked to PFF about 2 hours ago and the Camp Pendelton fire was only 1 1/2 miles from his home and they were getting ready to evacuate should the call come for them to go.

As for us in Orange County, the Santiago Canyon fire is still out of control and has taken down quite a few homes as it moves west. The Lake Forest area, just west of Foothill Ranch is on a voluntary evacuation. If they can't contain this fire, it could conceivably reach the coast, which would put my wife and I in the path as well.

I'll update you on PFF's status, if he doesn't post here before hand, as well as mine sometime tomorrow.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

thanks for the updates.

I will pray for you and your families' safety. and for your personal belongings as well.

Stay safe and pray.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

We're good as of Thurs. morning............the Marines swarmed like killer bees, and did an amazing fearless job......so as of now we're in the clear......knock on wood..........good luck up in your neck Fmr
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah good luck guys. Hopefully everything goes well. I just got off the phone with my mom and she is in San Bernardino county. She said the smoke out there is ridiculous and the kids cannot go outside at all. But they didn't evacuate them. Weird, I tried to get her to leave anyway but she is stubborn. I hope everything goes well though. Hopefully they are gaining some control finally.

MLB ERA

Well we are going back tommorow morning. We are pretty certain the house is still there.

btw Did you guys see Bush come here?(plese note do not want to get into a policical debate)

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Southern California Fires

Glad to hear the good news!!!

I hope theh house is still entact for your sake as well.

Keep us posted, and remember you are in my prayers.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

We're good out here as well, looks like the fire turned East towards Cleveland National Forest. Though there are still quite a few homes still in the path, I think everyone West of the 5 freeway should be ok.

I talked to PFF this morning, who was back at work so I assume that means they're out of danger, though the Camp Pendelton fire is still burning, though maybe not as close.

I'm going to try and get down to San Diego this weekend to see my Mom and see what's left of the city before I head for Chicago on business Monday morning.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Southern California Fires

Good to hear all is well with you too FmrFresnan!

Take care of yourself!! GOD Bless and prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family also!!

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Here's a blog on wrote on my MySpace site, I thought I'd post it as kind of a wrapup on everything that's gone on this week. Let me know your thoughts, good or bad.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Southern California Fires
    In 2003, a few weeks after the Cedar Fire ripped through San Diego, my Mom and I took a drive south on Pomerado Road, through the community of Scripps Ranch and just east of Mira Mesa. What I saw was something I never expected and something I never thought I would ever see again. Where homes once stood, only fireplaces remained. Families coming home to embers and rubble and trying to gasp what had just happened to their home and to their city, is something that should never happen to any family, anywhere.

Here we are, 4 years later, and I am sorry to say that I was wrong. Fires up and down Southern California have left countless families homeless and several business owners left to pick up the pieces. The only thing different for me this time around is, my Mom had to evacuate her Rancho Bernardo home early Monday morning, something that didn't happen 4 years ago. The hard part for me, was the helpless feeling I felt, being unable to be there for my mom when she needed me, but knowing there was really nothing I could do. It wasn't only my mom, but friends as well in Oceanside, Encinitas and Del Mar also evacuated their homes. Although several fires burned throughout LA, San Bernadino, Ventura and Orange Counties, San Diego again took the hardest hit of all. This city hadn't completely healed from 2003, now have to rebuild their lives all over again.

Although it was hard to see what I saw in the aftermath of the fires 4 years ago, I'm almost afraid of what I'll see this time around, to the point where I'm not even sure I want to see it. The worst part of these fires, next to the numerous number of families having to start over, is 2 of these fires were started by arson. Who, in their right mind, would start fires like this, knowing how dangerous they would become when fueled by dry brush and the strong Santa Ana winds?
    As this week comes to an end, the fires in LA County are about at 100% containment, some people in Orange County and San Diego are still under evacuation orders as firefighters try to, finally, contain these fires once and for all.

When this is all said and done, the real heroes of this grueling and excrutiating week, are the firefighters that pulled 30-40 hour shifts to do everything they could to save homes, but fighting a losing battle against fierce Santa Ana winds, gusting in some areas to 70 MPH. I can't imagine the hopeless feeling they felt, watching home after home succumb to the out of control fires. Luckily for my mom and friends, their homes are still standing, but the horror of watching 15 foot flames bearing down on their homes and the homes of their family and friends is something they'll never forget. Although, a lot of us said that after the Cedar Fires were over.

Will we ever see this again, I really hope not, but if Southern California has another dry year like we've had this year, you can't count the possibility out. For those families that have to rebuild their homes and their lives, our thoughts and prayers go out to them and everyone affected in these horrible fires.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA

Well I am back home house is still here. Air is smokey.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Good to hear 777rak, we're doing better up here in OC and I know PFF didn't have to evacuate his home due to the great effort of the Marines at Camp Pendelton keeping the fire at bay.

I don't know the update on the fire burning there, so anyone with an update would be appreciated.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Air is clearing......we actually saw blue skys last night for the first time in days.....this am is foggy which is a great sign on the coast.......and hopefully it will extend inland and help add moisture there.......

I think the worst is over...........whew !!
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA

Chargers game against Texans won't be moved

SAN DIEGO -- Chased from their homes and practice fields by deadly wildfires, the San Diego Chargers will return home to play the Houston Texans at Qualcomm Stadium on Sunday as scheduled.

Chargers game against Texans won't be moved

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

guys, so glad to hear the awesome news. I am glad that you are alright and that the Chargers will NOT be moved.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast