Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Ideas / rumors / trades

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres 2008 Ideas / rumors / trades

The body is cold, time to move on, not sure about you guys, but the best way to do this for me is to look to the very bright future.

The Padres will have so pretty big holes to address this offseason, and I'm interested in what you guys would like to realistically see happen. Lets just understand that the very top tier FA's are out of reach and go from there please.

CF- I'd like to see us go sign Rowand to a multi-year deal. This is where I think we need to bite the bullet with regards to payroll. But if you add what Cameron made, and what MGiles made together it pays for Rowand.

LF - Rumor is Jason Bay is available for a ML ready 3bag prospect, or established 3bag. I think we have to look really hard at our situation at 3rd and decide if we're better off converting one of ours, or trading one for an established, cheap legit 30 HR guy. Yes Bay had an off year, but his splits even in this off year are better away from Pitt. which could suggest he's not just ballpark created.

RF- Stuck with Giles for another year

3rd- Kouz mashed this year after May 8th, and deserves to start

SS- time to give Greene a multi-year deal around 3/4-5M year

2nd- I think you promote Antonelli, and between he, Blum, Stansberry & Hairston this position is well covered. Plus if you don't bring back Giles you save $4M to use elsewhere

1st- .280/ 30 / 100 AGon is a fixture for at least two more years

C- Bard was very impressive, but we need to get another guy in here to platoon with him. One suggestion was IRod, but I'm not on that wagon so much, since he's in major decline mode, and would cost a ton of $$$

So my potential lineup next year could look like this, and not cost much more than this years team.

Giles
    Rowand
    AGon
    Bay
    Kouz
    Greene
    Bard
    Antonelli

I think this would garner some respect, and score some runs for a rotation that should be very good next year too.

Ok have at it.........
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Re: 2008 Ideas / rumors / trades

First, let's look at the Padres' Free Agents and figure out who they're going to re-sign and who they'll let walk.

Mike Cameron ($7m)
    Milton Bradley ($690k)
    Michael Barrett ($700k)
    Geoff Blum ($900k)
    Doug Brocail ($500k)
    Brady Clark (?)
    Shawn Estes ($550k)
    Marcus Giles ($3.25m)
    Todd Greene ($75k)
    Rob Mackowiak ($1m, $3.25m 2008 option or $300k buyout)
    Brett Tomko (?)

Total: 14,665,000 off the books + whatever we're on the hook for for Brady Clark and Brett Tomko. Correct me if those numbers are wrong, but here's the link for my numbers.

2007-2008 Potential Baseball Free Agents List
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan View Post
    First, let's look at the Padres' Free Agents and figure out who they're going to re-sign and who they'll let walk.

Mike Cameron ($7m)
    Milton Bradley ($690k)
    Michael Barrett ($700k)
    Geoff Blum ($900k)
    Doug Brocail ($500k)
    Brady Clark (?)
    Shawn Estes ($550k)
    Marcus Giles ($3.25m)
    Todd Greene ($75k)
    Brett Tomko (?)

Total: 14,665,000 off the books + whatever we're on the hook for for Brady Clark and Brett Tomko. Correct me if those numbers are wrong, but here's the link for my numbers.

2007-2008 Potential Baseball Free Agents List
    Blum and Clark for the bench, Maybe Tomko

Cameron if we can't get Rowand or either of the 2 pipe dreams. (Hunter and Andruw)
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

PFF is giving me a few more names coming off the books, so here's the addition to the ones I posted before.

Mike Cameron ($7m)
    Milton Bradley ($690k)

Michael Barrett ($700k)
    Geoff Blum ($900k)
    Doug Brocail ($500k)
    Brady Clark (?)
    Shawn Estes ($550k)
    Marcus Giles ($3.25m)
    Todd Greene ($75k)
    Brett Tomko (?)

ADDED

Russell Branyan ($1.25m)
    Jose Cruz Jr. ($650k)
    David Wells ($5,691,170)
    Hiram Bocachica ($100,773.50)
    Pete LaForest ($83,977.90)
    Ryan Klesko ($500k declined option)
    Mike Piazza ($750k declined option)
    Rudy Seanez ($200k declined option)
    Tony Gwynn ($600k deferred compensation)
    Scott Strickland ($133k release pay)

NEW Total: 24,623,922
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA

$24+M in freed up money

MLB ERA

If we take payroll back up to 75M or even 80M, doesn't that give us approx. $35-40M in available monies ?

11M -Rowand
    5M - Bay
    14-15M - Peavy
    4-5M - Greene
    1.5M- Blum
    4-5M -#3 arm

42M ish for that........looks like we could be in the ballpark for something like this......

AAA ERA

Blum shouldn't cost 1.5 M I see him getting around .950 and every little bit counts.

I would love for them to re-sign Greene for 4-5 years but Money ball doesn't value power and defense as much as OBP.. so we will see what happens.

I think Hariston and Antonelli fight out 2B durign the offseason.

and I have mixed feelings about peavy. Tradeing a young awesome ace who just won the MVP is usually a bad idea but he has so much value now and he sort of put the writing on the wall about his contract status in the media this year. I see him not setteling for what the padres will offer him and pitching in penstripes as soon as he can walk. I hope I am wrong but if not you might as well destroy some teams farm for him when you can.

but that might be just me feel free to disagree.

I think having both Kouz and Headley gives us alot of flexability and if you asked me Kouz earned 3B.

It will be a fun offseason...

I add this though...

what do you do with trevor his 08 option vested due to apperances. He is no doubt The Best that ever played at his position. I just don't like the feeling I get int he pit of my stomach when he pitches now,

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by trevortime101 View Post
    Blum shouldn't cost 1.5 M I see him getting around .950 and every little bit counts
    Works for me

I would love for them to re-sign Greene for 4-5 years but Money ball doesn't value power and defense as much as OBP.. so we will see what happens.
    3 years 4-5M year.....time to lock him up

I think Hariston and Antonelli fight out 2B durign the offseason.
    Hairston, Antonelli, Stansberry & Blum will all play a part of 2nd next year I would guess...

and I have mixed feelings about peavy. Tradeing a young awesome ace who just won the MVP is usually a bad idea but he has so much value now and he sort of put the writing on the wall about his contract status in the media this year. I see him not setteling for what the padres will offer him and pitching in penstripes as soon as he can walk. I hope I am wrong but if not you might as well destroy some teams farm for him when you can.
    Trading him ? No way........lock him up long before his FA year comes around. There is a good chance we can do just that, and it would cost us less. Peavy and his agent know that he could go down to injury in 2 years time just like we know that if he reaches the FA market there is little we could do to retain his services. So by signing him now, he will ensure his financial stability ( make a killing too), and we'll be able to keep him for the next ....well....5+ years hopefully. He is the ONE guy I would risk a long term deal on, and by long term I'm talking 6 years.....

I think having both Kouz and Headley gives us alot of flexability and if you asked me Kouz earned 3B.
    Yes but what to do with the odd man out ? This becomes the question, and just letting him sit in AAA isn't a very good answer IMO.

what do you do with trevor his 08 option vested due to apperances. He is no doubt The Best that ever played at his position. I just don't like the feeling I get int he pit of my stomach when he pitches now.
    As of 8/21/07 the option became guaranteed........does that answer your question? He's only going somewhere if he retires.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post

As of 8/21/07 the option became guaranteed........does that answer your question? He's only going somewhere if he retires.
    No I mean... will he retire.. do we demote him to RP and use Bell to CL. Will he rebound. what do you think will happen.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by trevortime101 View Post

No I mean... will he retire.. do we demote him to RP and use Bell to CL. Will he rebound. what do you think will happen.
    Ahh.......I say let him close every game until crunch time, and then see where you're at.........he's still a 40+ game closer and those aren't easy to come by........This would also allow Bell another year of seasoning to make sure he's ready and the man for the job

AAA ERA

personally I hope he retires... don't see it happening... I am not mad at him.. you win some you loose some... I just can't take the sick feeling in my stomach everytime he goes in there.. We would save a grip of money and can sign bell long term to close meradith was back to form second half of the season let him set-up...

more money for extending jake or potential FA.

MLB ERA

Fukudome is another name I keep hearing, I guess we've had our eyes on him for a while......but other than this quote I don't find much regarding the Padres..........not sure we'd win a bidding war for the neg. rights, and I think he's asking 9-11M per year.....both could remove him from our sights, but he looks like the exact type of player this FO would want....

Despite having shoulder surgery, Japanese outfielder Kosuke ***udome, 30, will be well sought after this offseason when he becomes a free agent. He can put up good power numbers, is a solid fielder, and could be slotted in the just about any outfield. The Padres nearly signed him out of high school when he was still a shortstop, but opted to stay in Japan. Still their GM, Kevin Towers, when asked if he still had any interest in ***udome said, "Absolutely." Not only that, but Mike Cameron will be a free agent this off season along with Milton Bradley, so there is room for him. ***udome has the potential to hit 20 homeruns, with an average around .290. He has drawn comparisons to Hideki Matsui for his power at the plate, ability to get on base, and his cannon in the outfield. The Padres would benefit from his bat in the lineup because of his ability to hit the gaps, especially in clutch situations. The White Sox, Mariners, Cubs, Rangers, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Giants are all known to be interested in acquiring him, but the Padres see him more as a priority signing rather than a fallback behind players like Hunter, Jones, and Rowand. In 2006, he hit .351 with 31 HR and 104 RBI and drew 93 walks.

MLB ERA

Fukudome
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Think I'm not buying that jersey the day he's signed

The back will just say

FUK U

MLB ERA

Anyway......back to the topic before it was hijacked by the same terrorist as usual
    The body is cold, time to move on, not sure about you guys, but the best way to do this for me is to look to the very bright future.

The Padres will have so pretty big holes to address this offseason, and I'm interested in what you guys would like to realistically see happen. Lets just understand that the very top tier FA's are out of reach and go from there please.

CF- I'd like to see us go sign Rowand to a multi-year deal. This is where I think we need to bite the bullet with regards to payroll. But if you add what Cameron made, and what MGiles made together it pays for Rowand.

LF - Rumor is Jason Bay is available for a ML ready 3bag prospect, or established 3bag. I think we have to look really hard at our situation at 3rd and decide if we're better off converting one of ours, or trading one for an established, cheap legit 30 HR guy. Yes Bay had an off year, but his splits even in this off year are better away from Pitt. which could suggest he's not just ballpark created.

RF- Stuck with Giles for another year

3rd- Kouz mashed this year after May 8th, and deserves to start

SS- time to give Greene a multi-year deal around 3/4-5M year

2nd- I think you promote Antonelli, and between he, Blum, Stansberry & Hairston this position is well covered. Plus if you don't bring back Giles you save $4M to use elsewhere

1st- .280/ 30 / 100 AGon is a fixture for at least two more years

C- Bard was very impressive, but we need to get another guy in here to platoon with him. One suggestion was IRod, but I'm not on that wagon so much, since he's in major decline mode, and would cost a ton of $$$

So my potential lineup next year could look like this, and not cost much more than this years team.

Giles
    Rowand
    AGon
    Bay
    Kouz
    Greene
    Bard
    Antonelli

I think this would garner some respect, and score some runs for a rotation that should be very good next year too.

Ok have at it.........
    Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan View Post
    PFF is giving me a few more names coming off the books, so here's the addition to the ones I posted before.

Mike Cameron ($7m)
    Milton Bradley ($690k)

Michael Barrett ($700k)
    Geoff Blum ($900k)
    Doug Brocail ($500k)
    Brady Clark (?)
    Shawn Estes ($550k)
    Marcus Giles ($3.25m)
    Todd Greene ($75k)
    Brett Tomko (?)

ADDED

Russell Branyan ($1.25m)
    Jose Cruz Jr. ($650k)
    David Wells ($5,691,170)
    Hiram Bocachica ($100,773.50)
    Pete LaForest ($83,977.90)
    Ryan Klesko ($500k declined option)
    Mike Piazza ($750k declined option)
    Rudy Seanez ($200k declined option)
    Tony Gwynn ($600k deferred compensation)
    Scott Strickland ($133k release pay)

NEW Total: 24,623,922

Fukudome is another name I keep hearing, I guess we've had our eyes on him for a while......but other than this quote I don't find much regarding the Padres..........not sure we'd win a bidding war for the neg. rights, and I think he's asking 9-11M per year.....both could remove him from our sights, but he looks like the exact type of player this FO would want....

Quote:
    Despite having shoulder surgery, Japanese outfielder Kosuke ***udome, 30, will be well sought after this offseason when he becomes a free agent. He can put up good power numbers, is a solid fielder, and could be slotted in the just about any outfield. The Padres nearly signed him out of high school when he was still a shortstop, but opted to stay in Japan. Still their GM, Kevin Towers, when asked if he still had any interest in ***udome said, "Absolutely." Not only that, but Mike Cameron will be a free agent this off season along with Milton Bradley, so there is room for him. ***udome has the potential to hit 20 homeruns, with an average around .290. He has drawn comparisons to Hideki Matsui for his power at the plate, ability to get on base, and his cannon in the outfield. The Padres would benefit from his bat in the lineup because of his ability to hit the gaps, especially in clutch situations. The White Sox, Mariners, Cubs, Rangers, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Giants are all known to be interested in acquiring him, but the Padres see him more as a priority signing rather than a fallback behind players like Hunter, Jones, and Rowand. In 2006, he hit .351 with 31 HR and 104 RBI and drew 93 walks.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast