View Poll Results: Hoffman: not a big game pitcher?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely not a big game pitcher

8 100.00%
  • He's unclutch.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trevor Hoffman: not a big game pitcher?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Trevor Hoffman: not a big game pitcher?

I know, I know, lots of saves. But the 98 playoffs, the All-Star game, the Brewers game, tonight's Rockies game. Come on now...when was the last time he has been clutch in an important game?

Future All-American
    AA ERA

Re: Trevor Hoffman: not a big game pitcher?

He needs to retire, I love him, but he needs to retire.

MLB ERA

Beautiful timing.

Who would vote any other way after witnessing that?

Ask this again when the memory of what just happened isn't so fresh and I guarantee you won't get as lopsided a result as you will get right now.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

With that being said, that was quite possibly the worst Trevor Hoffman outing I have ever witnessed.

I got home just in time to see him pitch, too

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

There is enough proof to say he is not a big game pitcher. This just adds to it.

Future All-American
    AA ERA

I hate to agree with Reefer but he's right. Trevor has the most saves in the league, but is he really the best?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Doug Brocail and Heath Bell were pitching so beautifully out there too, fakljsdf;lkj;aslkjalskdfj

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    There is enough proof to say he is not a big game pitcher. This just adds to it.
    I reluctantly agree.

But those who may want to put up an argument on other occasions (even if it's with a simple poll vote) are not going to do so today.

Padre Legend
    Rookie ERA

Hoffman almost always blows it when it matters but then again he hasn't had many chances.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

I think the Padres need to take a hard look at who closes for them next season and, possibly, look at Heath Bell to take that role a few times next season, just to see how he handles it. I'm talking, his own music, his call in the 9th inning, his game to close.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

Future All-American
    AA ERA

Lets just face it guys the Padres showed up to win that game last night with the exception of two Padres, Jake Peavy and Trevor Hoffman (throw a little Brady Clark in there for good measure) but when you score 8 runs, hit a grand slam and a 13th inning two run bomb, you should have won the game. Peavy choked giving up 6 runs and Trevor did the ultimate choke giving up 3.

I am now a Trevor hater... He has broken my heart one too many times and hasnt given us anything to be happy about over the years. Not one single thing to remember as a great moment for the team and the fans. His only accomplishment was a personal one. yeah thanks a freaking lot Trevor for getting all those saves, too bad not a single one of them was in a clutch situation or got us a championship, you freaking CHUMP!!! Retire already...

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Bell seems to have the stuff Closers are made of........... I'm sure the Padres will bring Hoffy back as long as Hoffy wants to play..........but I'm not sure the desire is there anymore.............Leitner said he saw Hoffman in the clubhouse following the Brewers meltdown, and has never seen him look more defeated and deflated. Last night on the hill, he lacked the killer look that he's carried with him over his career.......

I love Hoffman..........but if he decided to retire realizing that the talent levels have passed him by, I would understand completely........

And if he decided to comeback and save another 40+ for the Padres, I would be more than happy to support that also........

GO PADRES !!!
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Future All-American
    AA ERA

I think he should be afraid to show his face in public until about Christmas time. And honestly, I dont want him saving another 40+ if he cant save the big one, it just makes my balls bluer, if you know what I mean.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by JayDawg27 View Post
    Lets just face it guys the Padres showed up to win that game last night with the exception of two Padres, Jake Peavy and Trevor Hoffman (throw a little Brady Clark in there for good measure) but when you score 8 runs, hit a grand slam and a 13th inning two run bomb, you should have won the game. Peavy choked giving up 6 runs and Trevor did the ultimate choke giving up 3.

I am now a Trevor hater... He has broken my heart one too many times and hasnt given us anything to be happy about over the years. Not one single thing to remember as a great moment for the team and the fans. His only accomplishment was a personal one. yeah thanks a freaking lot Trevor for getting all those saves, too bad not a single one of them was in a clutch situation or got us a championship, you freaking CHUMP!!! Retire already...
    Peavy gave up twice as many runs...............is he done ? Should he retire ? Is he a chump ?
    Back off the name calling where a San Diego Icon is concerned......I don't care who you are..........Hoffman has earned ALL OF OUR ETERNAL RESPECT.........
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Future All-American
    AA ERA

First of all dont tell me what to do. I can call Trevor any freaking name he has earned.

Secondly, no Peavy shouldnt retire, but last night he was a chump. It makes me sick to see the trolls coming in here and other forums and talking about how Trevor is not a big game pitcher and neither is Peavy and we defend them endlessly only to have them prove the trolls right and us wrong.

Sorry bro, but I am PISSED OFF right now, so if I am venting and it's directed at them for losing yet another crucial game, toooooo fuuuuucccccckkkking bad. You can idolize them all you want, but what have they ever done for you on a personal level other than sign some trinkets and shake your hand. What have they done for you as a Padre other then rub your **** all night long only to let you run to the bathroom to finish off the job cause they couldnt or wouldnt.

Look PFF you and I are friends and I am not going to jeopordize that offer some baseball players, but like I said right now I am freaking pissed and have every right to be, but don't worry about it I'll get over it and soon be rooting for the Padres, Jake, and Trevor again (if he stays around, which I dont think he should, at least not as the closer of big games).

Besides the fact, like you I am a real fan, and watch every game the Padres play each year, so I am entitled to have an opinion and criticize every now and again, unlike these a-holes who just pop in to start a fight and then take off and hide under a bridge. I earned the right. At least I am not blaming it on the ownership...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast