MLB ERA

Re: Padres@Rockies 10/01/07

I had me one o dem der feelins it was gonnna hapun like dat
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

TBS is picking up the game............and as I just learned on another site.........Cox is rolling out the new HDTBS tonight on channel 733..........FYI all
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA

Don't get me wrong, I had zero aspirations of Colorado falling off the picture, I figured they'd stay hot.

But winning 11 in a row, and 13 of 14?

If you told me that was going to happen I would've quoted you and said "you're damn right we need to sweep here"
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

If we can't beat Colorado with Peavy on the mound.....the Playoffs are a moot point anyway!
    I realize anything can happen once you get there....but Peavy vs. Fogg?
    If we don't take this one....the Rockies deserve it over us!

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Here's to a good game, guys. I'm just happy we are playing in Oct.!!! Obviously I want to win, but if not this is something to build on.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Just remember to pitch around Hawpe.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    50,000 tickets for a game that got scheduled a couple of hours ago and you couldn't get a couple of tickets? wow.

Wow, man if the Rockies win this one, the city of Denver is going to have lets just say entertainement,meaning parties,parades etc.. you get the picutre.

Question how come on the Padres/Rockies webpage it shows the pitchers stats where as compared to the other teams in the playoffs it does not show their stats? Does that mean if Peavy wins today he will get his 20th win? He better now since that is not fair, he/the Padres got an extra chance. Let me know if you did not understand me.

EDIT

I am also wondering how come for the wild card game they do not do it like if two teams are tied for the division, the team that won the serries gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    TBS is picking up the game............and as I just learned on another site.........Cox is rolling out the new HDTBS tonight on channel 733..........FYI all
    Sweet thank for telling me!!!!!!!!!!

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 777rak View Post
    I am also wondering how come for the wild card game they do not do it like if two teams are tied for the division, the team that won the serries gets it.
    they don't even do that for the division. If there's a tie that needs to be broken, the ties get settled on the field, not through tiebreakers.

They only use tiebreakers when both teams get in if they want to determine who is the division winner and who is the wild card.

GO PEAVY!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

1) Were the Padres smart to save Peavy for Monday's game?

In all likelihood the Padres weren't trying to save Peavy for Monday. They were trying to save him for Game 1 of the Division Series.

All the potential games from today onward are critical for the Padres. But from the standpoint of maximizing their chances of reaching the postseason, the right mathematical move would have been to start Peavy on Sunday in Milwaukee on three days' rest. The Padres wouldn't have had to bother with a tiebreaker if they won. And there were other scenarios involving multi-tiered tiebreakers in which the Padres would have had to win two games just to claim the wild card. You would rather win one game today if the alternative is having to win two tomorrow, one of which you wouldn't be able to start Peavy in anyway.

However, the Padres were trying to balance two things: their probability of reaching the playoffs and their probability of advancing if they did make the playoffs. If Peavy had started on Sunday he would only have been able to make one start in the NLDS -- a huge sacrifice to make in a short series against a tough offense like the Phillies. So Bud Black made the high-risk, high-reward gamble: win today and set yourself up beautifully for the NLDS. It didn't work out, but it was probably the right move for his club.

And Peavy has less reason to fear Coors Field than many other pitchers. He's mostly a fastball-changeup pitcher -- he doesn't rely much on breaking balls, which according to physicist Robert Adair, are the pitches most affected by high altitudes. Peavy's lifetime ERA at Coors is 3.96 over 38.2 innings, which doesn't sound so great until you consider that games at Coors Field have yielded an average of 28 percent more runs than an average park since Peavy made his first appearance there in 2002. Subtract 28 percent from 3.96 and you wind up with a 2.87-- better than Peavy's lifetime ERA of 3.28.

SI.com - MLB - Nate Silver: Who has the edge in one-game playoff? - Monday October 1, 2007 11:26AM

MLB ERA

Well I saw it on MLB.com Peavy is going for his 20th win, sorry that is not fair.

Anyway looking foward to this game

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 777rak View Post
    Well I saw it on MLB.com Peavy is going for his 20th win, sorry that is not fair.

Anyway looking foward to this game
    your mancrush Brandon Webb has zero shot at the Cy Young anyways, so it doesn't really matter whether Peavy pitches tonight or not

Future All-American
    AA ERA

Just a few thoughts:

Jake Peavy has started 33 Games and Josh Fogg has started 28 games, thats a differential of 5 games. With that said Peavy has 57 more innings pitched than Fogg (which approximates to about 9-10 more games). Having pitched 57 more innings, Peavy only has 7 more walks than Fogg, but 145 more strike outs.

Whats my point, all things being equal, pitching will not beat us tonight batting will. It all comes down to whether San Diegos batters are patient and their bats show up. If they are patient they should get plenty of walks and/or balls in the zone to clobber. If Peavy pitches like he can. Padres win easily, if not they battle it out and potentially lose. I know some of this may have been stating the obvious, but I wanted to see the numbers that supported the theory and there they are.

TBS's new on screen GFX is BEAUTIFUL!

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBomberz View Post
    TBS's new on screen GFX is BEAUTIFUL!

no kidding

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Not a very good first inning for Peavy. Looked like he was trying to overthrow his pitches. Hopefully he'll be able to settle down.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast