View Poll Results: Would you pitch Peavy on Sunday with a trip to the playoffs on the line?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Pitch Peavy on three days rest!

2 33.33%
  • No! Do not pitch Peavy on three days rest!

4 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you pitch Peavy on three days rest on Sunday if the playoffs are on the line?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Would you pitch Peavy on three days rest on Sunday if the playoffs are on the line?

Right now the Padres are up 1 game in the wild card on both the Phillies and Rockies. There are 5 games left. Peavy pitches today (Wednesday) against San Francisco.

Assume that, entering Sunday, the Padres need a win to clinch the wild card. Do you pitch Peavy on Sunday on three days rest on the road in Milwaukee? Or do you sit him and save him for a possible Game 1 of the Playoffs (which might not come).

What do you do, what do you do!

MLB ERA

Re: Would you pitch Peavy on three days rest on Sunday if the playoffs are on the lin

I want to say yes, but I'm jaded by his last 3 days rest outing.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Would you pitch Peavy on three days rest on Sunday if the playoffs are on the lin

He doesn't do well on 3 days rest but who else are you going to throw out there?

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Nope........the best rotation in the NL should be able to come up with a solid outting, leaving Jake to go game 1 in the playoffs. The biggest issue isn't pitching anyway, it's scoring runs.............Jake could hurl another gem only giving up 1 ER and we could lose.........So I'd save Jake, and force this offense to show up, cause it will have too in the playoffs anyway
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Future All-American
    AA ERA

I say no too, because if you do, when does he pitch in the playoffs? How many days in between the start of the playoffs and the game he would potentially pitch in. If he could get 5 days then yes and just be ready with a quick hook and a long reliever.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Pads used to be the best rotation. Not so sure now with Young pitching horrribly and then you have Tomko in there.

Future All-American
    AA ERA

I would have to agree with that, at the beginning of the season we were the best, and then the wheels fell off and the only reliable pitcher we have is Peavy, with 2 good question marks (Young and Maddux) and two mystery pitchers (who's it going to be this week, Germano, Tomko, ???)

Hell it could be argued we dont even have a rotation anymore beyond the first 3 pitchers.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    He doesn't do well on 3 days rest but who else are you going to throw out there?
    I'm not ready to completely write off his ability to go on 3 days rest on one game...especially when he was hit in the shin pretty hard early on in that game.

Jake went on 3 days rest in 2004 and went 6 innings, giving up 1 ER and 7 strike outs.

That being said, I wouldn't do it for reasons stated above.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Notes: Padres manager Bud Black said he planned to pitch ace Jake Peavy on three days' rest Sunday only if the Padres needed a win to clinch a tie for a postseason spot. If San Diego was assured of no worse than a tie, Peavy would be held back for a possible tiebreaker game or the first round of the playoffs.

SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Padres -- Padres maintain wild-card lead against errant Brewers

MLB ERA

I say NO.............but I do understand why he would go............I just think it will end up killing us in the playoffs should we get in

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Moot point it looks like. Padres up two on both the Mets and Rockies for the wild card with two games to go. Worst that can happen is a tie. No need for Peavy to go on Sunday.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I agree.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You just don't want the Brewers to face Peavy

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

true, but it doesnt matter to me now, the Brewers are done after Sunday. I would have cared more if they wouldn't have choked.

MLB ERA

Correction.......Brewers were done once Khalil Greene went deep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast