Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milton Bradley or Mark Teixeira?

MLB ERA

Milton Bradley or Mark Teixeira?

Apparently Ken Rosenthal thinks highly of the acquisition as well, making bolder claims than PFF is in another thread

Which player would you rather have short-term — Braves first baseman Mark Teixeira or Padres left fielder Milton Bradley?

The question isn't at all preposterous.Teixeira has been fantastic since joining the Braves, but the numbers show that Bradley has been roughly as good since joining the Padres.

Teixeira vs. Bradley in the NL Player AB HR OBP SLG Teixeira 107 10 .416 .664 Bradley 111 9 .443 .640

Yes, it's a small sample size, but that's the point. When measuring the impacts of players traded at mid-season, it's always a small sample size.

The numbers don't lie: Milton Bradley's been a boon so far for the Padres. (Frank Franklin II / Associated Press)

And frankly, the comparison is all the more remarkable when you consider that Bradley is handicapped by playing his home games at pitcher-friendly Petco Park.
    So, before revisiting Bradley's well-documented flaws — his frequent injuries, his personality issues — let's acknowledge one important fact:
    When the guy is on the field, he's pretty darned impressive.
    Go back to last year's American League Championship Series with the A's, when he was 9-for-18 with two homers with two doubles against the Tigers.

Go back to 2004, when he was a force for the Dodgers in both the regular season and post-season, leaving a strong impression on Padres general manager Kevin Towers.
    "He was unbelievable that year," Towers says. "He has an electric bat — the type of bat that reminds me a little bit of (former Padre Ken Caminiti) in '96. He can change the game with one swing of the bat, energize your club."

Of course, so can Teixeira, but the Braves parted with five players — several of them top prospects — to acquire "Tex" and reliever Ron Mahay.
    To get Bradley, the Padres gave up only right-hander Andrew Brown, a 26-year-old journeyman whose claim to fame is that he twice has been traded for Bradley.
    True to form, Bradley celebrated the deal by immediately going on the disabled list — his fourth trip to the D.L. this season and eighth since June 2005.

Since then? Mercy.
    Through July 6, the Padres averaged 4.3 runs per game, according to STATS LLC. Since activating Bradley on July 7, they've averaged 4.5 runs when he is not in the lineup — and five runs when he is.
    One Padres player after another credits Bradley with igniting the team's previously dormant offense. The question, as always, is how long it will last.
    Bradley seems content with the Padres, but he supposedly had found happiness in previous stops with the Dodgers and A's. His pending free agency should be added incentive for him to stay under control, but his volatility remains a concern.
    He is intelligent, often engaging, popular with most of his teammates. No one questions his will to win. But from his strained relationship with Indians manager Eric Wedge to his on-field blowups with the Dodgers to his post-trade bashing of A's general manager Billy Beane, it's always something.
    "He's a distraction," one rival G.M. says, "because you never know what you'll get each day."
    Those close to Bradley say he is aware of his anger issues and making a concerted effort to deal with them, but change like that doesn't occur overnight. Fair enough; Bradley is still only 29. More than anything, one friend says, he craves acceptance, if not outright love.

When Bradley ripped Beane, essentially calling him a liar, it was because he felt rejected over getting traded. Before the season began, the two sides had agreed to discuss a long-term deal at some point. But then Bradley suffered his series of injuries, the A's fell from contention and Beane shifted course, trading catcher Jason Kendall as well as Bradley and parting with left-hander Joe Kennedy and righty Esteban Loaiza on waiver claims.
    In any case, Bradley would be easier for clubs to tolerate if he wasn't so frequently hurt. He played in 75 games in '05, 96 last season and his max-out number this season is 81. However, he plans to employ a different trainer and try a different workout regimen this off-season. Perhaps that will help.

On sheer talent alone, Bradley would be one of the most attractive free agents on the market; he can play all three outfield positions, hit almost anywhere in the order. But talent is only part of the equation. Bradley will need to personally meet with general managers to demonstrate his passion and commitment. Chances are, more than one G.M. will be impressed.
    If the Padres go deep into the playoffs, they might be inclined to re-sign both Bradley and center fielder Mike Cameron to go with right fielder Brian Giles. For Bradley, San Diego's low-key environment might be an ideal fit. Then again, his competitive zeal would play well in an east-coast market, if applied properly.

One thing is certain: This saga isn't complete. Bradley can be another Carl Everett, bouncing from team to team because of his personality. Or, he can evolve into the player he wants to be, a fixture in an organization.
    His performance isn't the problem, that's for sure.
    FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Free-agent-to-be Bradley a calculated risk
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Milton Bradley or Mark Teixeira?

And I was just owned

MLB ERA

In all seriousness, I would have posted this regardless as it's an interesting read.

It just gains an extra ounce of comedy due to the recent ongoing shenanigans.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Hey Reefer......thanks for the neg rep pt

I swear.......you and your silly shenanigans
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I just had to negate Leo's rep

MLB ERA

Terrorist

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The terrorist win?

MLB ERA

No they only think they have

MLB ERA

Teixeira is better than Bradley.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Overall, sure

They've performed about equally as well over the small time frame, however.

MLB ERA

I saw on ESPN Bradley has had issues with each team he has been on.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    You didn't know this until you just now saw it on ESPN?

(no issues with the Padres thus far.)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    Welcome to this decade

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    You didn't know this until you just now saw it on ESPN?
    Yeah. I only keep up with Atlanta and LAA or at least I try to keep up with the Angels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast