Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Jake doesn't think he'll be a Padre in 2 years.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Jake doesn't think he'll be a Padre in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan View Post
    If I'm wrong about the way he meant it, then it's my bad. But he responded to someone posting that the Padres had ZERO help from their farm system the last 2 seasons, which is pretty much correct.
    My point was that every GM uses their farm system. Whether it's to get other players or to just fill in for a spot start. The GM uses the farm system all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The big problem with your reasoning here is that Pavano was a guy with a losing record when he signed and Clement was a guy who bounced around and was never above a #3 starter. Burnett was a guy with a history of problems and was a health risk to start off with and he too had a losing record. Peavy has no history of injuries, is reaching his prime, has a winning record and is a name fans are familiar with pertaining to SD. The Padres can afford this risk since they do have Young to take the role as ace if in fact Peavy was to get hurt. Not one team loses an ace then goes out and signs one that year. Every single contract given has a risk factor involved.
    I only used the article to show the "financial" risk a Team like the Padres has with a huge contract.....not an injury risk.
    Doesn't matter "why" a player fails to perform up to the contract......but it does matter if the Org. can't just write it off and sign another Superstar.

My point was that every GM uses their farm system. Whether it's to get other players or to just fill in for a spot start. The GM uses the farm system all the time.
    I don't think anyone questions the fact that every GM uses their Farm system.But doesn't the "quality" of the prospects have something to do with the quality of players they bring in a trade?
    Or the production they provide when they are promoted to the Majors?
    There is no doubt that the Padres have been limited in acquiring the "Big Bat" everyone keeps harping on because of a lack of prospects to trade.Yes,the GM has some responsibility for the quality of the Farm....but that doesn't change the original point,that he has built a consistent winner "without" help from the Minor League System and with a limited payroll!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by MrPadre19 View Post
    I only used the article to show the "financial" risk a Team like the Padres has with a huge contract.....not an injury risk.
    Doesn't matter "why" a player fails to perform up to the contract......but it does matter if the Org. can't just write it off and sign another Superstar.
    In the case you gave (Burnett), you can't excuse the fact that it was a health risk and financial. In '08, the Padres can afford Peavy for '09 and on. Like I have been saying all along, if the GM makes smart moves the Padres can have that big bat and Peavy too. And if Peavy goes down, Young is there to take his place.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't think anyone questions the fact that every GM uses their Farm system.But doesn't the "quality" of the prospects have something to do with the quality of players they bring in a trade?
    Or the production they provide when they are promoted to the Majors?
    There is no doubt that the Padres have been limited in acquiring the "Big Bat" everyone keeps harping on because of a lack of prospects to trade.Yes,the GM has some responsibility for the quality of the Farm....but that doesn't change the original point,that he has built a consistent winner "without" help from the Minor League System and with a limited payroll!
    Again he has built a winner with help from the farm system whether you want to believe it or not. With the help of that farm system you guys have gotten a lot of guys on this team. Prospects is only one way to get that big bat.

Again he has built a winner with help from the farm system whether you want to believe it or not. With the help of that farm system you guys have gotten a lot of guys on this team. Prospects is only one way to get that big bat.
    Could you give us an example please?!

MLB ERA

Reefer actually has a point.

Milton Bradley, Mike Cameron, Brian Giles, Kevin Kouzmanoff, and Heath Bell all came here thanks to trading people from our farm.

I think they're all pretty good contributors to this team.

As the farm gets better, however, I imagine they'll be able to get even better deals done....or simply "raise" the "big bat" from the inside.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post

Milton Bradley, Mike Cameron, Brian Giles, Kevin Kouzmanoff, and Heath Bell all came here thanks to trading people from our farm.

I think they're all pretty good contributors to this team.

As the farm gets better, however, I imagine they'll be able to get even better deals done....or simply "raise" the "big bat" from the inside.
    Yet we are last in the League in offense........are these guys part of the answer.......or part of the problem?
    The guys you list are part of the reason we NEED a Big Bat.
    Did we have enough prospects to get a Star the last couple Seasons?

MLB ERA

Milton Bradley and Brian Giles aren't a part of that problem.

Kouzmanoff was for the first month of the season, but since then has hurt the team more with his glove than a (lack of) bat.

Cameron was for the first month and a half of the season, he's been good since.

But that's not really what was in question.

The question was whether or not the GM used the farm system to put together the team that is currently in playoff contention...and he did
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Milton Bradley and Brian Giles aren't a part of that problem.

Kouzmanoff was for the first month of the season, but since then has hurt the team more with his glove than a (lack of) bat.

Cameron was for the first month and a half of the season, he's been good since.

But that's not really what was in question.

The question was whether or not the GM used the farm system to put together the team that is currently in playoff contention...and he did
    No,actually the question was whether he was a good GM or not....which I said he was and Reefer said he wasn't.His reasoning was because he never got the "big bat" that the Padres so desperately need.
    My point was that he was a good GM because we have been a consistent winner despite payroll "restrictions" and a weak Farm system.
    If acquiring the guys you mention were good moves then that would further strengthen "my" case for him being a good GM......would it not?
    We acquired those guys "despite" having a weak Farm system....again,a sign of a good GM!!

also,we were talking about the last 2 Division winners and this
    Season......so the Giles move would not be relevant.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

See anything is possible
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No,actually the question was whether he was a good GM or not....which I said he was and Reefer said he wasn't.His reasoning was because he never got the "big bat" that the Padres so desperately need.
    My point was that he was a good GM because we have been a consistent winner despite payroll "restrictions" and a weak Farm system.
    If acquiring the guys you mention were good moves then that would further strengthen "my" case for him being a good GM......would it not?
    We acquired those guys "despite" having a weak Farm system....again,a sign of a good GM!!

also,we were talking about the last 2 Division winners and this
    Season......so the Giles move would not be relevant.
    No he isn't a good GM for all the reasons I stated and not just one.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    See anything is possible
    I always have a point, whether it's good or not is a different story

No he isn't a good GM for all the reasons I stated and not just one.
    Well,whether you think so or not he is obviously the best one in the N.L. West

The trades for Bradley,CY,Gonzalez,Bell,and Kouzmanoff are enough to prove he's a good G.M.

edit:Thanks for proving my point M.B. and AGON!
    edit again:and Kouzmanoff and Bard

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast