Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake doesn't think he'll be a Padre in 2 years.

MLB ERA

Re: Jake doesn't think he'll be a Padre in 2 years.

But the problem lies in the fact that Jake would more than likely be able to command something insane like 20-25 mil per.

If he's truly in it for "market value" he'd turn down 17 per in a heartbeat....and would not be being loyal.

In the meantime, the Padres wouldn't be giving him the 20-25 mil per that he'd, instead, be asking for and not fulfilling what you require of them to be "loyal" to him.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Lets face it, Peavy wants to wear pinstripes.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

JOSE REYES IS KING
    Rookie ERA

No one reaely wants to were pinstripes so much pressure and they dont even win its all about the money
    http://www.getafreeappleiphone.com/i...ers/1167_4.gifpaid for my Jose Reyes jersey Yes it works you can try it too.Free money for quick easy surveys.For Pictures of my checks and tips check out my blog http://paid4mycamera.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Facts are facts? What facts? In regards to the Padres not affording him, why not pay for your franchise player and top five pitcher in MLB? If the Padres would quit making dumb moves they can make a really good team and have a true ace to lead the charge. By 2010 a lot of money will be freed up so I don't think $18 mil will be that bad of a reach for a true ace. If you don't want Santana going to the Dodgers, you really don't want Peavy too either. And as I said, it's not like the Padres are going to get that big bat. It's just not in them.

The Big Bat's "not in them" because they don't want to pay 100 mil for one player....and thats a guy who plays everyday!
    But you think they should spend 100 mil for a guy who plays every 5th day?
    Peavy will be worth whatever the market is in two years for an Ace #1 pitcher......no doubt.But it's very hard for a Team like the Padres to give 19 mil a year to ONE pitcher.What then will CY want?.How about the rest of the guys on the Team.Next thing you know we lose two position players to keep ONE pitcher.I hope we find a way to keep him.....but doubt it will happen!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan View Post
    I said $14-$16m a year, apparently it wasn't if you're willing to offer $16m/year.
    And I said just $14 mil would be a slap in the face. What's your point?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    But the problem lies in the fact that Jake would more than likely be able to command something insane like 20-25 mil per.

If he's truly in it for "market value" he'd turn down 17 per in a heartbeat....and would not be being loyal.

In the meantime, the Padres wouldn't be giving him the 20-25 mil per that he'd, instead, be asking for and not fulfilling what you require of them to be "loyal" to him.
    If the Padres offer $17- 18 mil and turns it down then he's not being loyal which calls the whole thing off.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by MrPadre19 View Post
    The Big Bat's "not in them" because they don't want to pay 100 mil for one player....and thats a guy who plays everyday!
    But you think they should spend 100 mil for a guy who plays every 5th day?
    Peavy will be worth whatever the market is in two years for an Ace #1 pitcher......no doubt.But it's very hard for a Team like the Padres to give 19 mil a year to ONE pitcher.What then will CY want?.How about the rest of the guys on the Team.Next thing you know we lose two position players to keep ONE pitcher.I hope we find a way to keep him.....but doubt it will happen!!
    Sorry but some things are just worth it. If you had a good GM then you can make it work. A big bat can be found for a good price but the Padres have yet to corner one in many years. You can build a rotation around an ace and you can build around a big bat. It's not hard as many teams have been doing it. The Padres have control over Young for some time so don't be worried about him until that time comes.

"Sorry but some things are just worth it. If you had a good GM then you can make it work."

Like Barry Zito?
    How's that money working out for ya?
    I'm sure Giant fan was happy to get him when he was signed......but that's a TON of money that could be going to your "offense" instead of to a guy who is pitching like a #4 Starter.
    What's he going to contribute in 5 years?
    Don't you now wish the Giants had spent that money on a hitter.....or three?
    OR,two starters AND a reliever?
    I'm just saying that 1/3 of a Teams entire payroll is VERY risky to invest in any ONE player(even the Yanks and BoSox don't spend that much on one player)......even an Ace like Peavy!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Are you forgetting the $20 million we are giving to a 43 year old slugger? Did that somehow slip your mind? No one is happy with Zito's results but he is only costing us $14 mil this year. I am going to give Zito more than one year especially coming into a new league to say whether he is worth it or not. So far, he is a bust. Next year, who knows? Like I said, if the Padres had a GM then you can make it work. Sabean has not been a good GM and has gone out and got guys like Aurilia and Roberts. Pads make similar deals and they are just stupid. Even with Zito's contract we have a good rotation so he affects nothing. And to say it's 1/3 of a team's payroll is just retarded!

When did I say Zito was a third of the Giants payroll?
    You said some things are just worth it.
    If Peavy becomes average or gets hurt 3 years into a 100 mil contract,a Team like the Padres with 1/3 of "their" payroll going to that player,would be ruined for several Seasons.Padre fans screamed bloody murder about the contracts given to Klesko and Nevin(after they stopped producing that is).Now they want to do it again?
    You can't have it both ways.It's real easy to look "BACK" and say why did you give this guy 5 years 16 per when it doesn't work out.Then,start screaming to pay the next guy even more when you don't have to be accountable.IF it works out....Great.....if it doesn't,then you have several Seasons down the drain.
    And,by the way,we have a GM.
    He's won two Division titles in a row with a low payroll that is not of his choosing.If he had more money to spend everyone would think he's a genius...as it is he has other GM's afraid to even deal with him on trades.He'll look even better when the Farm system starts to produce talent for the big club.So he's basically been winning three Seasons in a row with very little money to spend and ZERO help from the Farm.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by metsguy View Post
    No one reaely wants to were pinstripes so much pressure and they dont even win its all about the money
    Then how do they keep getting corner stone players? Trust me I know you said that just cause your a Mets fan and thats cool but lets not kid ourself that no one wants to play for the Yankees.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by MrPadre19 View Post
    When did I say Zito was a third of the Giants payroll?
    You said some things are just worth it.
    If Peavy becomes average or gets hurt 3 years into a 100 mil contract,a Team like the Padres with 1/3 of "their" payroll going to that player,would be ruined for several Seasons.Padre fans screamed bloody murder about the contracts given to Klesko and Nevin(after they stopped producing that is).Now they want to do it again?
    You can't have it both ways.It's real easy to look "BACK" and say why did you give this guy 5 years 16 per when it doesn't work out.Then,start screaming to pay the next guy even more when you don't have to be accountable.IF it works out....Great.....if it doesn't,then you have several Seasons down the drain.
    And,by the way,we have a GM.
    He's won two Division titles in a row with a low payroll that is not of his choosing.If he had more money to spend everyone would think he's a genius...as it is he has other GM's afraid to even deal with him on trades.He'll look even better when the Farm system starts to produce talent for the big club.So he's basically been winning three Seasons in a row with very little money to spend and ZERO help from the Farm.
    To answer your first question, I thought you were implying that Zito and Peavy would take up 1/3 of the payroll which isn't true. If Peavy gets hurt in year 3 of his contract, that's life. That is the risk you make with any contract. That is still two years with Peavy instead of zero years. Padres fans had every right to be pissed at the Klesko and Nevin moves. They weren't worth the money they were given even at the time the signed. Who is trying to have it both ways here? The Padres do not have a good GM IMO. They have won two divison titles in a row in one of the worst divisions (until this year) in all of baseball and got bounced in the first round. He hasn't addressed the main need which is a big bat. Instead he makes shitty moves like Sledge, Ensberg, etc. Plenty of teams are doing great with low payrolls. No one is afraid of Towers! To say they have zero help from the farm system is absolutely hilarious!!!

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston View Post
    Then how do they keep getting corner stone players? Trust me I know you said that just cause your a Mets fan and thats cool but lets not kid ourself that no one wants to play for the Yankees.
    Not to pile on....but how many World Series did ARod, Bobby Abreu, Jason Giambi, Johnny Damon, Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Gary Sheffield win for the Yankees?

I think his point was, the Yankees paid big money for the above players, yet have ZERO championships to show for it.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

Where to start:
    If Peavy is given a 19 mil/year contract it would be almost exactly 1/3 of this years payroll.
    Nevin and Klesko were the "big bats" on the Padres when they were given their deals.....if they weren't signed fans would have accused the Team of being "cheap".
    I understand it is "life" when a player gets hurt,but if its a player who is eating 1/3 of your payroll it is too much for the Team to recover from......which is why I said it probably won't happen.
    The people who are trying to have it both ways are the ones who complain about huge contracts when they don't work out(ie:Nevin and Klesko),yet want the huge contracts to still be given out(ie:Peavy)
    The Padres do have a good GM,In most opinions around baseball excluding yours.
    Finishing first is all that matters,the Padres can't control how bad the rest of the Division is.....getting to the playoffs gives you the chance of winning it all....just ask Cardinal fan.
    The main need isn't a "big bat",that term is getting OLD....the main need is consistent hitters who can hit with RISP.
    Absolutely hilarious?
    What help has the Padre offense had from the minor league system the last few years?.....Barfield?

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    To say they have zero help from the farm system is absolutely hilarious!!!
    Hey Reefer....name 1 player, besides Khalil and Jake, who have come up through the Padres minor league system, who did jack s*** for this team over the last 2 seasons.

I'm curious as to why you're piling on the Padres, when the Giants have been out of the race for 2 months.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)