Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Again, we need another #2 arm

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres Again, we need another #2 arm

Not to beat on this drum again, but we saw this weekend once again how much we need a shut down guy to follow Peavy. We should be able to beat the Mariners with our B squad in there, but not if our arms are giving up 5 runs. Peavy goes in and shuts down the opponent, then Blaw comes in and looks like a batting practice pitcher. Stauffer is still young, and he showed more ability yesterday than BLaw did on Sat.

I'm not worried about our season yet......but these games are the ones that we'll look back on at the end of the season, and know we should have won. KTowers needs to quit screwing around and pull the trigger to get us a shutdown arm to couple with Peavy......Eaton is pitching well, and I love him as our #3, but we need a reliable, strong, young #2 arm........Woody, no way, he's our #4........BLaw, he's a #5 at best.......Stauffer, hasn't got the experience and would be a better #5 than BLaw.....

Any ideas who they could go get besides someone like Burnett from the fish.....big contract, but that would be incredible

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Not to beat on this drum again,
    KTowers needs to quit screwing around
    No offense to you padrefan but.........blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

This shiite is OLD. IMO, we never got that 5th slot filled from last season. We have been skating by since then by the skin of our teeth. Seriously, they need to quit f***ing around and get serious. This is insanity.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Not to beat on this drum again, but we saw this weekend once again how much we need a shut down guy to follow Peavy. We should be able to beat the Mariners with our B squad in there, but not if our arms are giving up 5 runs. Peavy goes in and shuts down the opponent, then Blaw comes in and looks like a batting practice pitcher. Stauffer is still young, and he showed more ability yesterday than BLaw did on Sat.

I'm not worried about our season yet......but these games are the ones that we'll look back on at the end of the season, and know we should have won. KTowers needs to quit screwing around and pull the trigger to get us a shutdown arm to couple with Peavy......Eaton is pitching well, and I love him as our #3, but we need a reliable, strong, young #2 arm........Woody, no way, he's our #4........BLaw, he's a #5 at best.......Stauffer, hasn't got the experience and would be a better #5 than BLaw.....

Any ideas who they could go get besides someone like Burnett from the fish.....big contract, but that would be incredible

Considering were playing like a "B" Squad right now I would understand it completely.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    ~3.5 ERA, 7-1 and Eaton still gets no respect from padrefanforever.

Anyways, BLaw is looking a bit shaky a bit too far into the season for my liking, but I still have faith in him.

Likewise, I would still be all for the acquisition of another strong arm, but don't look for it to be some big name "#2" stud that you keep asking for, especially not with Eaton already pitching like one IMHO. Not unless you consider Zito a "#2 stud to go alongside Peavy" cuz he is a possibility, but I'm not quite certain i'd label him anywhere but, at most, equal to Eaton with the way he's been pitching this year and last...

Furthermore, agree with it or not, but the acquisition of another arm would more than likely result in Stauffer going back to Portland once Woody returns, unless he either pulls a Peavy-esque performance circa 2002, or BLaw completely tanks
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by riverdunesrat
    No offense to you padrefan but.........blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

This shiite is OLD. IMO, we never got that 5th slot filled from last season. We have been skating by since then by the skin of our teeth. Seriously, they need to quit f***ing around and get serious. This is insanity.
    bla bla bla.........lol........come on.....this is where we bla bla bla....anyway...

That would be part of the point to acquiring a solid young #2.......we can take care of the #5 slot at the same time we pull in another frontline starter to go with Peavy. Everyone else would just slot down one spot. BLaw could be used in the trade if needed, he's never been anything more than just OK....he won 15 games last year, but that was the TEAM winning the games, not BLaw doing anything spectacular, his ERA was low to mid 4's I think.

As for me not giving Eaton respect.....I think I addressed that by saying that "Eaton is pitching well, and I love him as our #3....", however I'm not ready to call him Cy Young after two months of finally showing up. Let him maintain this level for a couple years before you call him a #2 arm. Lets not forget his career so far. Yes he had TJ surgery, and yes this is year three coming off of it, and yes this should be the year he steps up, but that still must be proven. It's not a given.......I also posted that days before he became 7-1.....

If pitching wins rings, then we need to get another #2 arm IMO.....we have a very nice core on this team including the arms......but this isn't personal, it's business, and certain guys are not doing their jobs.......to me it's really as simple as that......the hard part is who do we go get........Zito is an option......he's only 28, and I doubt is finished......a change of scenery would probably be very good for him, but it's a gamble.

and back to bla bla bla........nobody else posted a topic for the last few days.....lol.......so be happy I did

MLB ERA
    to say it another way...........we need to stop trying to fill the #5 spot, that's the wrong way to look at this........Fill the #2 spot and drop everyone down a slot.......thus filling the #5 with a guy in our rotation already.......or keeping Stauffer there.....or BLaw.......or or or.......but consider us to already have our #5, he's just being asked to be a #4 or #3 right now.......

MLB ERA
    I guess we're just in a war of semantics here of sorts. We both agree with the concept of acquiring a new arm that would be suited towards the top of the rotation, and bump everyone down, rather than trying to find some half decent scrub to be the 5 guy.

But in regards to Eaton, he doesn't have to by Cy Young caliber. We're not asking him to be the Padres' ace, that's Peavy's job. (and don't hold your breath on another "Peavy" coming in, short of a Zito-resurgance post-wouldbe-trade) As far as proving himself goes, Peavy's not that proven himself. Eaton wasn't half bad last year. Take away a few shaky starts and he was pretty solid last year, and has seem to only gotten better this year. I think Eaton will be fine.

But anyways, we're in agreement for the basic principle of your argument, and for whatever weight it does carry, and keeping in mind this is 2nd hand info as I haven't seen the quote myself, but Towers has apparantly been quoted as stating the Padres will be players in trying to acquire Zito should he become available for the trade deadline.

I'd be perfectly content with a rotation of

Peavy
    Eaton
    Zito
    BLaw or Woody
    Stauffer, BLaw, or Woody

(Stauffer would probably be part of the Zito deal, unfortunatly)

MLB ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    I guess we're just in a war of semantics here of sorts. We both agree with the concept of acquiring a new arm that would be suited towards the top of the rotation, and bump everyone down, rather than trying to find some half decent scrub to be the 5 guy.

But in regards to Eaton, he doesn't have to by Cy Young caliber. We're not asking him to be the Padres' ace, that's Peavy's job. (and don't hold your breath on another "Peavy" coming in, short of a Zito-resurgance post-wouldbe-trade) As far as proving himself goes, Peavy's not that proven himself. Eaton wasn't half bad last year. Take away a few shaky starts and he was pretty solid last year, and has seem to only gotten better this year. I think Eaton will be fine.

But anyways, we're in agreement for the basic principle of your argument, and for whatever weight it does carry, and keeping in mind this is 2nd hand info as I haven't seen the quote myself, but Towers has apparantly been quoted as stating the Padres will be players in trying to acquire Zito should he become available for the trade deadline.

I'd be perfectly content with a rotation of

Peavy
    Eaton
    Zito
    BLaw or Woody
    Stauffer, BLaw, or Woody

(Stauffer would probably be part of the Zito deal, unfortunatly)
    Guys.....I'm not down on Eaton.....lol.......I have said repeatedly that he's doing a great job this year........Eaton isn't the problem ....... I sure hope that's clear enough now..........I also think he'll be fine.......Eaton should be our #3......we should have a guy IMO between Peavy & Eaton, giving us a triple threat.......that's the point here.......BLaw isn't that guy, Woody isn't that guy, Stauffer isn't that guy (yet) and may never be. We need to get into a mode here in San Diego where we go out and fill in the obvious blanks, especially when we've got $$ to spend, and a great chance to win the division.......I'm not saying break the bank....but we're only at what $67 mil ...... hardly stretching our abilities according to what Alderson said about mid-market teams. Make the move before everyone starts grabbing up the available talent, whoever it may be.

I don't think Stauffer is the guy that gets moved in that deal for Zito.....I heard Nady and Germano.......and hell I'd be up for BLaw, Germano....give them two arms......Germano I don't feel will ever pitch for the Padres unless a bunch of guys get hurt.....and when he's tossed in the past, he's been lack luster to say the least.

MLB ERA

Padres

bla bla bla.........lol........come on.....this is where we bla bla bla....anyway...

and back to bla bla bla........nobody else posted a topic for the last few days.....lol.......so be happy I did
    Awwww, come on, I said no offense to you.......they just need to fix it already......
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    I know....but I have to keep the thread going......you complained about us not posting in here too.....lol....kidding.....

Hey what a crazy game last night eh ? Good god........ bad calls by the umpire on both sides, errors all over the place, score keepers blowing calls, 20+hits, 20+ runs......sheesh.....

MLB ERA

Padres

Yeah, quite a game. I loved how they kept coming back and stayed in the game to the end. They just fell a bit short. That AZ team is unbelievable. What do you think of Tony Clark? I really like that guy. His stats are as good as the regular players on the team. Tonight oughta be a pitchers duel.....

MLB ERA
    I know you're not down on Eaton, which is why I was trying to dismiss our ongoing debate by stating we've simply been arguing over whether Eaton's a "#2" or "#3" which is a moot point, really. We both agree that they should get another pitcher that's better than BLaw or the 38 yr old version of Woody Willams, (and yes, I agree that Stauffer's not there, at least not yet..no assumptions being made on his future)

Again, in regards to Zito, considering how he performed last year and so far this year i'd rank him at or below Eaton...but arguing that would be a moot point as well. I believe you agree with me that, regardless of how you rank 2 and 3, Peavy, Eaton, Zito would be an awesome 1-2-3 punch

MLB ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    I know you're not down on Eaton, which is why I was trying to dismiss our ongoing debate by stating we've simply been arguing over whether Eaton's a "#2" or "#3" which is a moot point, really. We both agree that they should get another pitcher that's better than BLaw or the 38 yr old version of Woody Willams, (and yes, I agree that Stauffer's not there, at least not yet..no assumptions being made on his future)

Again, in regards to Zito, considering how he performed last year and so far this year i'd rank him at or below Eaton...but arguing that would be a moot point as well. I believe you agree with me that, regardless of how you rank 2 and 3, Peavy, Eaton, Zito would be an awesome 1-2-3 punch

Agreed 100%.......I especially what us to get after that arm now that May has proven hopefully once and for all that he's truly horrible.

HOW BOUT THAT PEAVY.......WOOOO HOOOO............. Damn that kid is good

MLB ERA
    Peavy is one of a kind. There's currently a thread on the sportsline.com message boards (under one of the stories) with some crazy Yankee fan suggesting trading Hideki Matsui for Peavy... right about now I don't think there's ANYONE i'd trade Jake for...all things considered.

Anyways, whether we like it or not, we're going to have to put up with May/Stuaffer then Woody/May or Stauffer (hopefully Stauffer) until mid June or July..whenever the teams that are falling out of it start putting their trade bait on the market.
    Beane won't trade Zito this early in the season, for instance.

So we just have to hope we scrape through May's starts (which they've managed to do up until yesterday) and Woody/Stauffer continue to hold their own for the most part.

I'd rather wait it out a bit and get the better pitcher than to make a rash deal now with some already effectively out of it club such as KC (unless they shockingly put Grienke on the market..which I don't see happening)

MLB ERA
    ah, nm on the sportsline thread, it was fantasy baseball related. But my remark still stands in regards to Jake

(i'm on a slow as hell internet connection and saw the thread title, was still waiting for it to load when I typed my last reply in here)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast