Thread: Q&A with Milton Bradley

Padre Legend
    Rookie ERA

Q&A with Milton Bradley

Interview by Bill Center / UNION-TRIBUNE

When healthy and happy, Milton Bradley is a multitalented and electrifying player. But injuries and controversy have marred the career of the 28-year-old, who is with his fifth team in eight seasons.

Q: What do fans really need to know about Milton Bradley?
    A: “I can't really tell them anything. See me, I guess. See me play. Whenever I'm playing, I give it my full focus and intensity. If you have a negative attitude of me, I don't worry about that.”

Q: Do you see San Diego as being a fresh start?
    A: “I don't think you ever get a fresh start. When I was a rookie in 2000, I attended an orientation given by (former major league outfielder) Jeffrey Hammond. He said, 'You are going to get a label as a player and that label is going to stick with you forever. You can't get rid of it.' I've got a label.”

Q: How important are the Padres to your baseball future?
    A: “I'll keep playing wherever it is. But if my last game is tomorrow, my last game is tomorrow. I enjoy being around people who know how to play, teams that have a team concept and make winning important. This team is very similar to the A's last year, pitching, defense and timely hitting. There were no problems in Oakland. Good people in both places with more veterans here. I just enjoy playing and winning. I don't enjoy playing a lot when you are losing.”

Q. Many people, I guess, would be surprised to know of your off-the-field charitable work.
    A: “I get more satisfaction doing stuff for other people than for myself. When I was with the Dodgers, I was nominated for the Roberto Clemente Award for community service. I enjoy that part of what baseball gives me.”

Q. While you were with the Dodgers, you opened two youth baseball academies in Long Beach. Are they still there?
    A: “I was doing some of that before I was with the Dodgers. They are still there. When I was young, my mom couldn't afford me going to camps. I am there as much as I can be during the offseason. One of my favorite things. There are no preconceived notions. They are happy to see me there even if I struck out four times the previous day. They want to learn.”

Q. Your background with the media?
    A: “Much has been written about me by people who never talked to me. They go back eight, 10 years and write how I did this and that. There were things wrong in my life. I've had more moments in the past than some. But 99 percent of the things I see are negative. And some are ignorant. How can you drag up something that was written 10 years ago and put your opinion to it without talking to me?”

Q: About your injuries?
    A: “The second half of last year (.300 in 257 at-bats with 11 homers and 44 RBI) was about my being healthy. The biggest thing has been 'He's a good player, but he's hurt.' I don't hurt myself. I'm not the same player I was when I was with the Dodgers. I'm better. I'm smarter dealing with a lot of stuff. If you're getting older and not getting better, then you are really getting older.”
    SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Padres -- Q&A with Milton Bradley

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Q&A with Milton Bradley

Thanks for posting. He's a headcase, but a kind and caring one!