Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run the Stink outta town

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Run the Stink outta town

Linebrink is a POS......his time is over........his value has dumped......his worth to this team is near zero......time for you to go.......get out, leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out......

YOU FRIGG'N SUCK........

HWood you still want to try and defend this guy ?

And nobody bring up WHIP either....in order for WHIP to matter you can't walk around carrying a gas can and a lit match........Linebrink has given up 8 bombs, and too many leads.....he's not walking guys, he's giving up games and HR's......who cares about his WHIP.......worthless stat where he's concerned
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA

Re: Run the Stink outta town

I think they would be best served to not use him in 1 run games right now.

There's no point in getting rid of him just for the sake of getting rid of him, however.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

He was the top reliever on the market "last year"!
    Now he has very little value,if any.
    There are at least a 1/2 dozen relievers ahead of him who are available this year AND he is a free agent to be.
    I'm afraid we may be stuck with him!
    I pointed out on the other board "before" the Season started that the way he pitched the 2nd 1/2 last year this would probably happen.Some agreed,but of course his "supporter" stated I was pretty much an idiot for thinking it?
    All we heard was how valuable he is to the Team......now he's probably the fourth best reliever on his own Team!

MLB ERA

MrPadre.....I'm in a war on the other board with a mod right now, along with the blind supporters.....I just don't get why it's so hard for some to see how bad he's gotten......he looks like a dear in the headlights on the mound.....scared to death.

He sported a 3.57 ERA last year.......it was considered an 'off' year for him......whooops.......guess not......at this rate we're going to be lucky if his ERA is only 3.57 by seasons end........he should get long relief roles when we're losing only.......this guys is done

One thing is certain.....he's going to go cheap in FA at this rate

MLB ERA

The fourth best reliever on the Padres bullpen is the best reliever in a lot of pens.

Linebrink is having a rough July, and as it turns out he's had rough Julys and good Augusts the previous two seasons.

Not making any predictions, just pointing that out.

My only real opinion on this is that I don't believe in the concept of getting rid of someone who's still young and has proven capable of succeeding just for the sake of getting rid of him simply because he's slumping.

Put him in less critical situations? Sure. Get rid of him to the lowest bidder? No.

MLB ERA

Fine.......dumping him for the sake of dumping him is probably too harsh........removing him from all critical situations......works for me

But I reserve the right to be very pissed at KT for not moving him when he had a chance to get a quality player or at the very least in an attempt to address a team need.........regardless of hindsight

MLB ERA

But I thought you said using hindsight was for wussies?

It's easy to say he should have traded him at the beginning of the year now (and he should have) but a wise man once told me that we are not allowed to use hindsight in our debates.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    But I thought you said using hindsight was for wussies?
    Yup........which is why I said regardless of it.........meaning disregard it.....don't use it.......etc.......

I still think that KT should have tried to better this team by using Linebrink.......Betemit isn't someone I want now..........but then I sure did......at least it would have been a proactive move to better this team.....and again, we don't know what kind of success or impact he'd have had here......even his poor stats were better than what we ran out there last year I think, that just may have been a difference maker

But Rowand was a mistake........flat out.......big.......huge mistake

MLB ERA

(here we go again)

If you insist on using the "we don't know how Betemit would've performed as a Padre" argument to suggest he still should've moved Linebrink for him you can't turn around and rest on pure hindsight to make the solid proclamation that the Linebrink-Rowand non trade was a bad one.

You either have it one way or another. Either you can use hindsight and look at how players performed since or you can't.

All I ask is consistency. I, personally, think that Betemit's lack of success proves that the non move at the deadline last year was a good non move, but I'm willing to accept the non move for Rowand was a bad non move.

You can't say they were both bad non moves using opposing logic for both cases. If you're going to tell me Betemit could have succeeded you have to be open to the possibility that Rowand would have struggled as a Padre. (which you don't appear to be with that last statement.)

Lastly, your "at least it would have been a proactive move to better this team" (again, in regards to the would-be Betemit deal) statement is flawed.

For starters, we don't know if it would have bettered the team...in fact, it could have made the team worse. (I say it most likely would have, but we've covered that ground already)

If you ask me, Todd Walker didn't do any worse than Betemit would have last year and he didn't cost us a major leaguer, let alone one of our two best middle relievers.

MLB ERA

I'm NOT using hindsight for Rowand........when will you learn this......?

Rowands year last year, and our need for an OFer should have warranted the trade ......not his current stats.......stop with this please.....I've never once referred to Rowands current stats as the reason it was a mistake......NEVER ONCE......

The point is that KT should be using his best chip to TRY AND MAKE THE TEAM BETTER, by addressing it's needs........OFFENSE.........

I don't/wont live in world of hindsight, and thus believe he needs to act, not sit on his thumb........We've needed offense, last year we had a hole at 3rd, this year it's at 2nd.........address the issue using the tools at your expense........No offense......No playoff success........

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

First things first, HWood, I agree you can't use him in 1 run games anymore, but last night was a 3 run lead he gave up.

Second, the Rowand deal SHOULD HAVE gotten done at the beginning of the season, not because of what his stats are this year, but what he brings to the table. The Padres front office knew they needed more offense this year, but elected to stay with pitching. Admittedly, our pitching has kept us either at the top by a game or within striking distance of the leader (Dodgers). But it's our offense that has put us out of the playoffs the last 2 seasons. If we don't fix it now, we're looking at another first round exit.

Now, that being said, there are rumors that the Padres could be after Jason Jennings and Mark Loretta. Blum showed last night that they may not have to make that move, if he can get his bat going in a spot start/pinch hit role, they won't need to bring Loretta back (sorry PFF). Also, the Adam Dunn rumor has come up again today, talking to John Fayman of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds want to move him, but their Front Office is asking a stupid amount to get him. According to the rumor, the Padres have offered Linebrink and "another arm", unknown who that "other arm" is. The Reds, apparently want more than that, not sure who else they're wanting the Padres to throw in. Last, but not least, we come back to Aaron Rowand. The Phillies want to move him to make room for their young outfielder Michael Bourn. The Padres would surely part with Scott Linebrink in this deal, but I'm not sure if that would be enough for the Phillies this time around.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

Padre Legend
    Rookie ERA

Linebrink is messing up but who will you put in key situations other then Bell?

MLB ERA

Blum is a bench role player, that is all......spot starts are fine.....a starting position has proved too much for him over his entire career......

Loretta is still the right move without question IMO

to answer Jacs question......if a deal is made for Jennings, then we will be moving either Wells or Germano (likely Germano) to the bullpen....this adds further depth......also keep in mind that KT is known for finding BP help.....so likely replacing a guy that is floundering wont be hard....

Cameron is a guy that needs to get more time on the hill....yes his walks are an issue, but he seems able to control it by not allowing people to score....to me that's the bottomline......Linebrink is 3rd on the team in giving up HR's and he's a reliever.....talk about someone that doesn't belong pitching unless we're behind or way ahead

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

You know what, I like the deal for Jennings and Loretta. I think Jennings could be an excellent pitcher in this rotation, especially in a ball park like Petco. I think Peavy, CY, Maddux, Jennings, Wells, possibly mix in Germano a few times as well would be nice.

As far as Marcus is concerned, I'm wondering if the Padres would actually trade him in the right deal and how would that sit with Brian? With the Padres' outfield already full, why bring in Rowand as just a guy off the bench? You know he's going to want to start every day, and you know the bench won't sit well with Bradley either.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

Padre Legend
    Rookie ERA

Germano is doing a great job, why would you all want to replace him for someone who is 1-6 with a 4.76 era?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast