Thread: Bullpen's being over used

MLB ERA

Bullpen's being over used

Everyone put your sniper rifles down and take the red dot off Linebrink's head for just one second.

I'll come back with solid numbers in a few, but in the meantime, I'll post this based off pure recollection of games.

When's the last time you recall a pitcher going 8 innings?

It's happened a few times this year, but not all that often.

Furthermore, whilst everyone shoots their venom at Scott Linebrink, Heath Bell is having some bad outings as well.

It wasn't too long ago when Cla Meredith was the resident "I used to be good but now I suck" whipping boy.

I'm thinking the pen, as a whole, is simply starting to feel the affects of overuse. An issue I've been quietly concerned with since the start of the season, and has been voiced aloud by others, both here and at other forums.

Anyways, I'll start digging up some numbers on innings pitched and appearances and what not as compared to league averages sometime later tonight. Just figured I'd throw the thought out there right now.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Bullpen's being over used

Bell is logging more time than Linebrink.....stands to reason he might have a better chance to be exposed to a bad outting more often. He's also used in multiple innings at times.......when was the last time Linebrink saw back to back innings ?

Bell 2.19 ERA, 53.1IP, 54k's, 37 hits
    Stink 3.12, 43.1, 23k's, 37 hits

Linebrink has given up 8 HR's this year
    Bell has given up 1

this isn't even a close comparison.........Bell is a horse in our pen this year, and we've leaned very hard on him thus far.......
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres