By Tom Krasovic / UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

PHOENIX – Saying it's “doubtful” that he'll trade for a big bat, Padres General Manager Kevin Towers reiterated yesterday that he is more likely to trade for a starting pitcher and a bench player over the next several weeks, if he makes a trade.

The acquisition of a pitcher would parallel the club's offseason moves, in which Towers added pitching to a staff that led the National League in ERA in 2006. This year's staff leads the majors in ERA. The Padres also lead the NL in starters ERA.

“I know we have starters in Triple-A who have major league experience – (Clay) Hensley, (Tim) Stauffer and (Mike) Thompson,” Towers said. “But if we look to get a starter, it might be through a trade.”

Towers said that Hensley, a right-hander who opened the season as the Padres' No. 3 starter, has been fighting tendinitis in the biceps and top of the shoulder. “There is no structural problem,” Towers said. The GM said Hensley likely will get a cortisone shot.

Peavy confident

Jake Peavy said the decision to push back his next start from tomorrow to Tuesday owed more to the convenience of the All-Star break than the soreness in his upper right arm.

“It was nothing more than a way to get a few extra days of rest when we can,” Peavy said. “My biceps was a little achy going into that (All-Star) start. A few extra days will be beneficial for me through September and hopefully October. You're just taking advantage of the way it falls. Hopefully I'll pitch on four days' rest from here on out.”

Pitching coach Darren Balsley said that biceps soreness such as Peavy's, or a similar ailment, “happens just about every year to most of our guys. It was not serious enough to skip (Peavy's regular turn leading up to the break). I think Jake needed a little breather, anyway. His style of pitching is high intensity. I think the rest will do him good.”

Balsley said he isn't concerned by the first-half workload of reliever Heath Bell, whose pitch total entering yesterday ranked second among the majors' full-time relievers. “He's a horse. He's a big kid,” Balsley said. “He works hard, and he has an ability to log a lot of innings, and his pitches per inning hasn't been high.”

Notes

Towers said left-handed starter Shawn Estes probably will begin a minor league assignment in about a week. On June 7, 2006, Estes had reconstructive elbow surgery. Towers said Estes, 34, could return to the club this season, but the club will move cautiously with him.

Reserve outfielder Terrmel Sledge today will begin his rehab assignment with Single-A Lake Elsinore. When Sledge is ready, the Padres would have the option of sending him to Triple-A without exposing him to waivers. The Padres could do the same with Hensley, if they were to recall him.

SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Padres -- Towers: Deal for a big bat unlikely