Thread: Q&A with Heath Bell

Padre Legend
    Rookie ERA

Q&A with Heath Bell

Interview by Jay Posner / UNION-TRIBUNE

Right-hander Heath Bell is a Southern Californian who broke into the majors with the Mets in 2004 and was dealt by that club to the Padres last November.

Q: You were born in Oceanside, but how long did you live there?
    A: “I was born there when my father was stationed in Camp Pendleton. Lived in Escondido for a few years but went to elementary, junior high and high school in Tustin.”

Q: Was your life in the O.C. anything like the TV show?
    A: “Heck no. When the movie ('Orange County') first came out it was kind of funny, and then when the TV show came out it basically showed all the rich brats. I guess Tustin was the ghetto, because it was nothing like 'The O.C.' Since I lived on the East Coast and I played ball out there, I would never tell anybody I was from Orange County. I'd say L.A.”

Q: What was the best part about playing in New York? A: “When I got traded to San Diego. Actually, the best thing about New York was the fans were good. I always liked the fans. They were really intense. If you did good, they let you know. If you did bad, they let you know. I enjoyed that.”

Q: What's the biggest difference between playing in New York and San Diego as your home city?
    A: “The fans are a lot nicer here. You can have a bad day and they're OK about it. Like, 'Don't worry about it, you're one of our guys, go back out there.' New York is like, 'Who do we have next?' They want to win so bad and the pressure makes them that way, or the New York atmosphere. This is more laid-back and I think it's a lot more fun.”

Q: Since you've been here, you have a locker next to the Giles brothers. What's that been like?
    A: “A lot of nakedness. But it's great. Gilly, that's Brian, he comes up with the best one-line stupid jokes that I will laugh at every single time because they're hilarious. It's also really nice to have Marcus there because I played against Marcus in the minors and (in) the rivalry with the Mets and Braves, so it was kind of nice coming over here and kind of knowing somebody.”

Q: What's your favorite thing to do on an off day?
    A: “If my (three) kids are in town, take the kids to SeaWorld or pretty much just hang out with them. If they're not in town, because they're only in town for two months in the summer, I would probably go to the toy store. I've bought so many little toys, little helicopters, little flying things, remote-control things ... my wife says I'm the biggest kid she has. So I'd probably go to the toy store and then go to the beach or the park and play with them.”

Q: What's the biggest misunderstanding or misconception that fans or media have about baseball players?
    A: “Everybody thinks we're all as rich as A-Rod and we all make millions of dollars (Bell's 2007 salary is $385,500).”

Q: What are you going to do after you finish playing?
    A: “After I'm done playing? I'm not going to stop. I'm going to be like Julio Franco, play until I'm 50, 60. If I made enough money, I'd like to own a business; I don't know what kind of business. That, and I have a buddy in Oakland that's a pitching coach and he wants to be a head coach at a college and I'd like to be his pitching coach. I'd love to coach in the major leagues, but I won't coach in the minor leagues. I've been on way too many bus trips.”

SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Padres -- Q&A with Heath Bell

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Q&A with Heath Bell

Did they ask him why he gave up the lead vs AZ ?
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres