Thread: Padres Minor Leagues

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres Minor Leagues

Forgive me if a thread like this existed on this page, but I didn't see one. Here is what makes me think the Padres may go in another direction as far as Khalil Greene is concerned. I think Chase Headley can be the next Khalil Greene with better numbers, more patience at the plate and I believe he has All Star caliber abilities.

Double A Leaderboards:

AVERAGE
    * Kroeger, Josh, Tennessee (SL), .382
    Merchan, Jesus, Reading (EL), .357
    Mathews, Aaron, New Hampshire (EL), .353
    # Headley, Chase, San Antonio (TL), .346
    Hoffpauir, Jarrett, Springfield (TL), .345
    # Cabrera, Asdrubal, Akron (EL), .337
    Pearce, Steven, Altoona (EL), .333
    * Jaso, John, Montgomery (SL), .332
    Melian, Jackson, Erie (EL), .331
    Diaz, Robinzon, New Hampshire (EL), .327

ON-BASE PERCENTAGE
    * Kroeger, Josh, Tennessee (SL), .449
    # Headley, Chase, San Antonio (TL), .434
    Sollmann, Steven, Huntsville (SL), .430
    Brito, Javier, Mobile (SL), .429
    Morrissey, Adam, Arkansas (TL), .427
    * Jaso, John, Montgomery (SL), .423
    Merchan, Jesus, Reading (EL), .423
    Hanigan, Ryan, Chattanooga (SL), .420
    Hoffpauir, Jarrett, Springfield (TL), .420
    * Whitesell, Josh, Harrisburg (EL), .419

SLUGGING PERCENTAGE
    # Headley, Chase, San Antonio (TL), .634

* Kroeger, Josh, Tennessee (SL), .609
    Mather, Joe, Springfield (TL), .607
    Pearce, Steven, Altoona (EL), .604
    Duran, German, Frisco (TL), .561
    * Jacobs, Greg, Reading (EL), .544
    Mathews, Aaron, New Hampshire (EL), .530
    Ruiz, Randy, Reading (EL), .529
    # Walker, Neil, Altoona (EL), .528
    Hoffpauir, Jarrett, Springfield (TL), .527

HOME RUNS
    Mather, Joe, Springfield (TL), 18
    Collaro, Thomas, Birmingham (SL), 17
    Longoria, Evan, Montgomery (SL), 17
    Duran, German, Frisco (TL), 16
    Esquivel, Matt, Mississippi (SL), 16
    * Costanzo, Mike, Reading (EL), 15
    * Larish, Jeff, Erie (EL), 15
    * Rasmus, Colby, Springfield (TL), 15
    Fox, Jake, Tennessee (SL), 14
    # Headley, Chase, San Antonio (TL), 14
    Jimerson, Charlton, West Tenn (SL), 14
    Katin, Brendan, Huntsville (SL), 14
    Mitchell, Lee, Carolina (SL), 14
    Santos, Sergio, New Hampshire (EL), 14

Are you kidding me with those numbers? I know Chase got his first taste of the Bigs last month, but I think he's on the rise and we could be seeing him as an every day Padre next season.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA

Re: Padres Minor Leagues

Does he play shortstop?

I thought the thought process was to see if Kouz can play the outfield and give Chase 3rd base.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Padre Legend
    Rookie ERA

He plays 3B and i don't know if he is able to play another position.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Does he play shortstop?

I thought the thought process was to see if Kouz can play the outfield and give Chase 3rd base.
    In another thread, there was a quote from the Houston Chronicle saying that Roy Oswalt would waive his no-trade clause if Houston wanted to trade him. What if you packaged Khalil Greene, Scott Linebrink and a few prospects for Oswalt and Loretta? That way, Loretta finishes the year playing SS and you see what Headley can do at SS in Spring Training, that way you don't have to move Kouz to the outfield.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Headley would be a brink playing SS.......he has NOT got the range or quickness to play SS.......

Why is he being compared to Greene ?
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Who compared him to Greene, show me where I did that? For 1, we don't know what Headley can or can't do at what position. I just put a few ideas out there, nothing concrete.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

Padre Legend
    Rookie ERA

Padres' farm is yielding crops

By Tom Krasovic / UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

The Padres aren't expecting their farm system to send them a high-impact player as the club pursues its third consecutive National League West title, a chase that resumes tomorrow in Phoenix. In terms of advanced minor leaguers who have exciting upside, the rival Dodgers and Diamondbacks are in better shape than the Padres are.

The San Diego farm system may be closing the gap, though, as evidenced by the fast ascent of second baseman Matt Antonelli, the Padres' first-round selection in 2006, who last night was promoted along with left fielder Chad Huffman from Single-A Lake Elsinore to Double-A San Antonio.

“This kid could come quickly,” said Grady Fuson, Padres vice president of scouting and development.

Antonelli isn't breathing down the neck of Padres second baseman Marcus Giles. But by hugely increasing his home run power and handling a move from third base to second, Antonelli is entering the fringes of organizational discussions for the 2008 Padres.

Antonelli has reached base more than 40 percent of the time for the second consecutive year – but he has also hit 14 home runs after hitting none last year. A leadoff man, he had 18 stolen bases to go with 88 runs scored in 81 games going into yesterday's play.

Fuson said Antonelli, a 22-year-old whose footspeed is slightly better than the average major leaguer, will sand some edges on his defensive game and that his new manager, former major league second baseman Randy Ready, will speed the process.

“When you have the kind of athletic ability of a player like that, it's easier to coach and easier to teach,” Fuson said. “The learning curve gets quickened up because there is so much life in these young bodies. The great thing about Antonelli is the instincts match up with the athleticism. He's got instincts. And for the naysayers out there that wrote he has no power, he's cleaned that up.”

Farm-system reinforcements for this year's major league club, which has the best record in the NL, are most likely to come from the Triple-A bullpen in Portland, where the ranks include left-hander Justin Hampson and right-hander Scott Cassidy. General Manager Kevin Towers has said that if he needs a starting pitcher, he is most likely to trade for one, a nod to the 6.59 ERA of the Padres' former No. 3 starter, Clay Hensley, who also has been nagged by shoulder tendinitis, Fuson said.

Towers also has said he is searching the trade market for bench help.

In Portland, two of the club's best producers are infielder Craig Stansberry and Frank Mechenino, a former major leaguer. Triple-A outfielder Vince Sinisi had revived his career after detours caused by injuries, batting .310 with nine home runs and playing solid defense, but he will be shut down 2-3 weeks by a stress reaction in his hip. Fuson said his return isn't a lock.

“That one kind of hurts,” Fuson said. “The kid was having a real good year. He's put himself back on the map. The reality is even if (the hip condition) cools down, he's going to be out for most of the rest of the season.”

The solid returns of late from Padres third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff reduced the likelihood the Padres will recall Chase Headley, but Fuson said that Headley, who is batting .350 with 14 home runs for San Antonio, “felt very, very confident about his time up there” with San Diego.

SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Padres -- Padres' farm is yielding crops

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan View Post
    Who compared him to Greene, show me where I did that? For 1, we don't know what Headley can or can't do at what position. I just put a few ideas out there, nothing concrete.
    I think Chase Headley can be the next Khalil Greene
    Sorry man......when I read this......it sounds like you're saying he can be the next Khalil Greene......., and since KG is a SS, it's logical to think you mean Headley can be the next SS

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by jacs View Post
    Padres' farm is yielding crops

By Tom Krasovic / UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

The Padres aren't expecting their farm system to send them a high-impact player as the club pursues its third consecutive National League West title, a chase that resumes tomorrow in Phoenix. In terms of advanced minor leaguers who have exciting upside, the rival Dodgers and Diamondbacks are in better shape than the Padres are.

The San Diego farm system may be closing the gap, though, as evidenced by the fast ascent of second baseman Matt Antonelli, the Padres' first-round selection in 2006, who last night was promoted along with left fielder Chad Huffman from Single-A Lake Elsinore to Double-A San Antonio.

“This kid could come quickly,” said Grady Fuson, Padres vice president of scouting and development.

Antonelli isn't breathing down the neck of Padres second baseman Marcus Giles. But by hugely increasing his home run power and handling a move from third base to second, Antonelli is entering the fringes of organizational discussions for the 2008 Padres.

Antonelli has reached base more than 40 percent of the time for the second consecutive year – but he has also hit 14 home runs after hitting none last year. A leadoff man, he had 18 stolen bases to go with 88 runs scored in 81 games going into yesterday's play.

Fuson said Antonelli, a 22-year-old whose footspeed is slightly better than the average major leaguer, will sand some edges on his defensive game and that his new manager, former major league second baseman Randy Ready, will speed the process.

“When you have the kind of athletic ability of a player like that, it's easier to coach and easier to teach,” Fuson said. “The learning curve gets quickened up because there is so much life in these young bodies. The great thing about Antonelli is the instincts match up with the athleticism. He's got instincts. And for the naysayers out there that wrote he has no power, he's cleaned that up.”

Farm-system reinforcements for this year's major league club, which has the best record in the NL, are most likely to come from the Triple-A bullpen in Portland, where the ranks include left-hander Justin Hampson and right-hander Scott Cassidy. General Manager Kevin Towers has said that if he needs a starting pitcher, he is most likely to trade for one, a nod to the 6.59 ERA of the Padres' former No. 3 starter, Clay Hensley, who also has been nagged by shoulder tendinitis, Fuson said.

Towers also has said he is searching the trade market for bench help.

In Portland, two of the club's best producers are infielder Craig Stansberry and Frank Mechenino, a former major leaguer. Triple-A outfielder Vince Sinisi had revived his career after detours caused by injuries, batting .310 with nine home runs and playing solid defense, but he will be shut down 2-3 weeks by a stress reaction in his hip. Fuson said his return isn't a lock.

“That one kind of hurts,” Fuson said. “The kid was having a real good year. He's put himself back on the map. The reality is even if (the hip condition) cools down, he's going to be out for most of the rest of the season.”

The solid returns of late from Padres third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff reduced the likelihood the Padres will recall Chase Headley, but Fuson said that Headley, who is batting .350 with 14 home runs for San Antonio, “felt very, very confident about his time up there” with San Diego.

SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Padres -- Padres' farm is yielding crops
    Antonelli's debut in AA was pretty darn nice........ last I checked he was 2-2 with a double....if anyone knows how his day ended please post it.....otherwise I'll get around to it later