Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cameron?

Rookie ERA

Cameron?

Besides his struggles at the plate to start the year, he really seems to be struggling in the outfield. I remember 3 or 4 instances now that I think he should have caught the ball and either he has misread it or just is jogging to it .. Something wrong?

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Cameron?

Yup....something is wrong with him.......he's not making a big case for a contract extension is he ?
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    Yup....something is wrong with him.......he's not making a big case for a contract extension is he ?
    Ain't that the truth. <shrug>

MLB ERA

He'll pick it up. This happens to alot of players they start off cold but then they start to pick it up. Don't worry to much he'll be back to his oldself in a little while.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston View Post
    He'll pick it up. This happens to alot of players they start off cold but then they start to pick it up. Don't worry to much he'll be back to his oldself in a little while.
    I hope you're right......the problem most of us watching see is that it's not just his notoriously slow start with the bat that is the problem. He's also making un-Cameronlike mistakes in the field, and baserunning blunders. If it was just his bat, I'm not sure anyone that knows anything about MC would be balking much......but we can't have him playing crappy defense, and running the bases poorly also......

Right now he has no business playing while guys like Cruz Jr & Sledge are hitting and/or getting on. Sledge's BA leaves much to be desired, but look past that and you'll see an OBP above .390 still.....he's got 8 walks........our OF until Cameron shows that he's back to himself should be

LF Sledge
    CF Cruz
    RF Giles

MLB ERA

And, again, how is Cameron going to show he's back to himself sitting on the bench?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Future All-American
    AA ERA

Spot starts and a few key dingers as a PH. Once he shows that he can stop making the bone head plays in the field and on the base paths, and hits a few dingers in clutch situations, then you put him back in full time.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    And, again, how is Cameron going to show he's back to himself sitting on the bench?
    You're right HWood.....send him to AAA where he can't hurt the Padres and can show he's ready .... He needs to work it out the same way EVERY player does......by spending time working on his craft away from the field and not during a game.

Look.....you can't keep running him out there when he's a complete mess. If he were still playing GG calibur defense...then yah you let him work though his hitting issues, but he's far from it, and hurting the team on both sides of the ball. And to just ignore it and leave him out there is sheer stupidity.....

I'm not saying bench him forever, or reduce him to a bench player, I'm saying he needs to un**** himself away from the game before he gets back into the game

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by JayDawg27 View Post
    Spot starts and a few key dingers as a PH. Once he shows that he can stop making the bone head plays in the field and on the base paths, and hits a few dingers in clutch situations, then you put him back in full time.
    Hard to get into a groove that way.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    You're right HWood.....send him to AAA where he can't hurt the Padres and can show he's ready .... He needs to work it out the same way EVERY player does......by spending time working on his craft away from the field and not during a game.

Look.....you can't keep running him out there when he's a complete mess. If he were still playing GG calibur defense...then yah you let him work though his hitting issues, but he's far from it, and hurting the team on both sides of the ball. And to just ignore it and leave him out there is sheer stupidity.....

I'm not saying bench him forever, or reduce him to a bench player, I'm saying he needs to un**** himself away from the game before he gets back into the game
    It's been, what, 2 weeks? What major league player doesn't go through 2 week slumps? It happens to the best of them. Hell, Puljos just broke out of 2 week slump. I bet there weren't any Cardinals fans begging to bench him "until he gets his act in gear"

Mike Cameron is a 12 year veteran who has proved year in and year out that he can hit major league pitching. He'll break out of this slump if you just give him time.

I'm all for benching him a tad more often than you otherwise would, but he's still the primary starting centerfielder and it should remain that way unless another 2-3 weeks go by and he proves he somehow lost it. (vice being in a slump)

I know you're not saying bench him forever, but when you make a comment like "until Cameron shows that he's back to himself should be" it makes me wonder...how the hell is Cameron going to show that he's back to himself from the bench?

He can hit balls in the batting cage all day long, like every other starter does, but that proves nothing until he does it in real games. And spot starting someone will not get them out of a slump.

You bench Cameron now you may as well be calling for Cruz Jr to be the starting CFer the rest of the season.

MLB ERA

We should be calling for benching Kouzmanoff long before we start calling for Cameron's starting job.

Unlike Mike Cameron, Kouzmanoff has still yet to prove he can hit major league pitching.

That said, I still would rather give Kouz more time so as not to kill any confidence he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rosenthal View Post
    Negotiations between the Padres and center fielder Mike Cameron broke off Friday, virtually ensuring that Cameron will become a free agent at the end of the season, FOXSports.com has learned.

The two sides, unable to reach agreement on a three-year contract extension, will not resume talks before the end of the season, according to Cameron's agent, Mike Nicotera.
    "There wasn't any acrimony," Nicotera told FOXSports.com. "I will certainly discuss the prospects of Mike being back with them, but in a free-agent context, which makes it far less likely that he would be back than if we were talking to them alone.

"Both parties thought the last deal we had on the table was very reasonable within the context of his value and the market. We agreed to disagree. He'll be a free agent at the end of the year."

"We've had a hard time finding a common ground," Padres GM Kevin Towers said. "It's in the best interests of both sides to wait until the end of the season, so that it isn't a distraction. We certainly realize that the closer he gets to free agency, it becomes that much more difficult. We like the player. We'd like to have him. But we didn't want to keep dragging this thing on until the end of the season."

Cameron, who lives outside of Atlanta, could be a viable option for the Braves if they lose Andruw Jones as a free agent. Two other prominent center fielders - Torii Hunter and Ichiro Suzuki - also are expected to hit the open market.
    FOX Sports - MLB - Padres, Cameron end contract talks

MLB ERA

HWood.....I'll make this next part big so you can actually read it this time, becuase it's maybe the most import part and you're not getting it.

IT'S MORE THAN JUST HITTING THAT'S HIS PROBLEM, AND IT'S MORE THAN JUST A LACK OF HITTING THAT'S BEING DISCUSSED HERE.

I've addressed the fact that you don't mess with him for just a slump. Get over that please, since we agree
    Last edited by padrefanforever; 04-20-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: HWood finally got what I was saying

MLB ERA

[QUOTE=HollywoodLeo;274502]We should be calling for benching Kouzmanoff long before we start calling for Cameron's starting job.
    QUOTE]

Is Kouz having issues in the field ? No...then this is irrelevant to this conversation

MLB ERA

Not once has ANYONE suggested benching Cameron solely based on his lack of hitting......wtf is so hard to digest ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast