Thread: Padres sign Gonzalez & Hensley

MLB ERA

Padres Padres sign Gonzalez & Hensley

Padres signed first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and RHP Clay Hensley to one-year deals.
    Despite his strong 2006, Gonzalez is being renewed at just $500 more than the $380,000 minimum. Padres GM Kevin Towers said the team initially offered $391,500, then rejected a counterproposal in which Gonzalez and agent John Boggs asked for $418,000 -- 10 percent more than the minimum. Hensley is getting $392,000.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Nice. I'm sure they'll reward them even more as arbitration eligable years grow closer.

For now the ball is fully in management's court and they can keep them on the cheap while they still can.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    The arbi year is here.....he could be a super2 this year and arbi elidgable at the end of the 07 season......my guess is he'll get a 3-4 year deal very soon...as in the next month or so.....

KT said today in an interview that Hensley was rated higher on their list FYI....He broke it all down on how they come up with their #, and it made sense while he was explaining it.....KT also said that he sees AGon as the face of the Padres for years to come
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Padres Fan In The UK
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    Source: RotoWorld
    its a good signing

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    KT said today in an interview that Hensley was rated higher on their list FYI....He broke it all down on how they come up with their #, and it made sense while he was explaining it.....KT also said that he sees AGon as the face of the Padres for years to come
    That KT interview was very informative. When I first heard he only got a $500 raise I was a bit stunned. But, once hearing the management side of things, it made a bit more sense to me ..

MLB ERA
    Yah....most only see the $500 aspect.......and forget all about the automatic raise that he got regardless of being a 2nd year player with zero rights....and he turned down his "raise"......Hensley didn't

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by PadresFanUK View Post
    its a good signing
    It's good signings but how come only for a year? Are they working on extending both of them for long term? Gonzalez and Hensley i thought would be part of this teams future, giving them one-year deals won't really make those guys be that happy.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Peavy_44 View Post
    It's good signings but how come only for a year? Are they working on extending both of them for long term? Gonzalez and Hensley i thought would be part of this teams future, giving them one-year deals won't really make those guys be that happy.
    They both are a huge part of this teams future......they are both 2nd year players and as such have NO rights what so ever.......the team is still in complete control of them and they have no say at all.......it's this way with everyone in their position, this is not unique.....when the time comes there is no reason to think they wont both get multi-year deals.....I would be shocked if AGon wasn't locked up before year end......hell even before the end of May

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    They both are a huge part of this teams future......they are both 2nd year players and as such have NO rights what so ever.......the team is still in complete control of them and they have no say at all.......it's this way with everyone in their position, this is not unique.....when the time comes there is no reason to think they wont both get multi-year deals.....I would be shocked if AGon wasn't locked up before year end......hell even before the end of May
    I see.... thanks. Makes senses.