Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Gwynn: Hall of Famer

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    This makes my point even stronger IMO. The voters get up to 10 votes then just put the deserving players in 5-8 years after their retirement. Don't insult the player(s) intelligence and reputation at the 10-15 year mark and give them a pity party and elect them in, like you are doing them a huge favor and allowing that player(s) into the Hall. I could understand making players wait that long if you only got 2 or 3 votes a year, but 10, please, get off your high horse and DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!

THIS WHOLE VOTING PROCESS IS STUPID AND THE HALL OF FAME SHOULD BE DOING THE VOTING, AND NOT THE MEDIA!!!!!!

COME HALL OF FAME NEEDS TO DEVELOP A COMMITTEE OR BOARD OF THEIR OWN AND JUST DO IT!!!

MLB ERA
    Congrats to Gwynn and Ripken

But for the voters who did not vote for those two and McGwire, all deserve to be stripped from voting, because there logic is flawd, they dont have a consistancy, they let Gay ****ing lord Perry in there when he clearly admitted of cheating, but when it comes to McGwire they have no proof, but a prejudice assumption to base it on.

MLB ERA
    This is a congratulatory thread for Tony Gwynn. Let's not turn it into a McGwire debate.

There's a thread in the baseball talk forum for that.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I think you only get 9 votes.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Well if there were 9 others you wanted to vote for knowing that Gwynn and Ripken were locks that's a different story.....but were there ? IMO no.....you could probably find 5 including Ripken and Gwynn, so that arguement doesn't hold water to me
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I am just going by what Jayson Stark had to say on Mike and Mike in the morning.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    That's fine, but if you have room on your card, and haven't yet voted for the obvious choices, and don't......you shouldn't get to vote ever again
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Yup!Thats a pic of Rickey websoulsurfer's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    aside from the douchebag that left his entire ballot blank.....I would love to know who the other people were that didn't think Ripken and Gwynn shouldn't get in.....
    According to initial news reports in the New York Daily News all 8 ballots that did not include Ripken were blank ballots. Gwynn was not included on an additional 5 ballots.

I have since read that only TWO ballots were completely blank and that a handful of ballots contained no votes for players in their first year of eligibility.

Yup!Thats a pic of Rickey websoulsurfer's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Padres The HOF Voting System Works!

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    This makes my point even stronger IMO. The voters get up to 10 votes then just put the deserving players in 5-8 years after their retirement. Don't insult the player(s) intelligence and reputation at the 10-15 year mark and give them a pity party and elect them in, like you are doing them a huge favor and allowing that player(s) into the Hall. I could understand making players wait that long if you only got 2 or 3 votes a year, but 10, please, get off your high horse and DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!

THIS WHOLE VOTING PROCESS IS STUPID AND THE HALL OF FAME SHOULD BE DOING THE VOTING, AND NOT THE MEDIA!!!!!!

COME HALL OF FAME NEEDS TO DEVELOP A COMMITTEE OR BOARD OF THEIR OWN AND JUST DO IT!!!
    1st off - Congratulations to Tony and Ripken. Both are among the class of the class and two of my all time favorite players. They embodied everything that is good and right about the game of baseball.

As to your post - Who is to say who the deserving players ARE?

The system works for the most part. And the HOF gets to rectify any exclusions that they consider mistakes with the Veterans Committee.

We saw that system working in the case of McGwire not making it and we saw that in the fact that Ripken and Gwynn got the 3rd and 7th highest % of votes EVER. There are differences of opinion on what constitutes a Hall of Fame player and that difference of opinion can only be taken into account when a large body votes. That is the case with the BBWAA.

And sorry, I mistated when I said the 8 ballots that did not include Ripken were all blank. Only two were completely blank and 6 contained no players in their first year of eligibility. There are a small handful of voters that never vote for any player in his first year of eligibility, which considering it took 3 years for a great like Joe Dimaggio to get in, is ok in my opinion.

The ones I personally find stupid are the ones who turned in a blank ballot in protest of the steroid years. Why punish Gwynn, a fat man during those years who obviously never used steroids, and Ripken?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12