Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Padres get Greg Maddux!

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA
    Schmidt stays in the NL West but is now a Dodger? DAMN!!!! Though, the Padres have made him our b*#$% over the past few seasons, so I shouldn't be all that worried about it.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan
    Schmidt stays in the NL West but is now a Dodger? DAMN!!!! Though, the Padres have made him our b*#$% over the past few seasons, so I shouldn't be all that worried about it.
    And yet even dumber, we don't sign Schmidt for only 5 million more; a guy who has out performed Madduz in each of the past 4 seasons and is younger.

Makes great sense to me

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Schmidt got a guaranteed 3 year deal........Maddux is signed for 1 year w/ an option....how is a guaranteed $10M the same as a guaranteed $47M ??

This will also allow us to sign another arm in the 7-10M range, had we spent 15+M on Schmidt, we couldn't do that.....so it's a good move.....

At the end of the year, lets compare the seasons these two have had and talk about whether or not the extra $5M would have been worth it
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA
    Look, the Padres weren't going to give Soriano $132m, they weren't going to spend $47m on a guy who's already 33 years old and a guy who we've absolutely OWNED the past, what, 4 years? You can't win 'em all OBBOLTS.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Maddux + Petco + marine layer + night games = lower ERA and maybe more games into the 7th inning for him...
    Maddux pitched more innings and than any Padre last year so getting into the 7th wasn't a problem. Maddux will have 3 good months and 3 bad months lust like last year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    SD's luck, the three bad months will be August, September, and if they make it to October.

Shocking and sad that Maddux is now reduced to a journeyman-like status, much like Piazza.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan
    Look, the Padres weren't going to give Soriano $132m, they weren't going to spend $47m on a guy who's already 33 years old and a guy who we've absolutely OWNED the past, what, 4 years? You can't win 'em all OBBOLTS.
    Can we win ONE? The Barfield trade was a steal, and I'm stoked about that (just as I was about the Gonzo / Young trade last year), but besides that, I THINK we've missed on the Johnson trade, not signing either Lee/ARam/Soriano, missed on this Maddux deal, and again missed on what could've been the Schmidt deal.

Ad for the record, 33 years is not an old age for a pitcher just one season removed from consistent Cy Young stats, and the fact that WE OWNED him makes an even stronger argument for Schmidt, because take away his career Padres stats and the guy is an even bigger beast.

I'll take it a step further; like I mentioned earlier, if we're going to throw the likes of 8 million guaranteed with an easy 10 mil incentive at a 42 year old who had a few good months out of the past three seasons, why not just double that contract and offer it to Barry F'N Zito!? Do you understand the magnitude a rotation of Peavy, Zito, Young, Hensly, and Thompson / Carillo / Stauffer would have against opposing NL teams?

Padresfanforever brings up a decent point about us not having enough for another bonafide pitcher, but come on now, even if we signed Zito for what would likely be a 18 mil per year deal, double that of Maddux's and significantly more than Schmidt's, we'd STILL have 10 million or so left under the budget (as to our 20 million kicking in moores' pockets).

I do believe Maddux's knowledge will help peavy, and I think his fly ball pitching style will fare well in Petco, but imagine Zito's fly ball ways in petco! Ugh, I don't care to think about it or discuss this anymore.

I honestly believe you guys are just happy because we signed somebody;

Ask yourselves all this: three seasons ago when I was on the ssd boards talking about THIS offseason, claiming THIS WOULD happen when all others argued against me, would you have told me that you'd be stoked with the additions of GREG MADDUX ONLY when over a third of our bankroll is ready to spend?

Let that sink in.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OBBoltsFan
    The Barfield trade was a steal
    For who exactly? It wasn't the Padres.

MLB ERA
    Well if Brown pans out and Kouz is the masher everyone thinks he will be...then this will be a good trade...

MLB ERA
    Ask yourselves all this: three seasons ago when I was on the ssd boards talking about THIS offseason, claiming THIS WOULD happen when all others argued against me, would you have told me that you'd be stoked with the additions of GREG MADDUX ONLY when over a third of our bankroll is ready to spend?
    Only ?? When did the offseason end ? Hell when did the winter meetings end for that matter....?? Oh yah, they haven't, and it's not.......

Let that sink in !!

Maddux is a better signing than Zito IMO simply from a dollar standpoint....it gives us more options and a 15 game 200 inning pitcher....add Mulder and we're dialed as far as a rotation goes, and nobody will have a rotation as good as us in this division.....Zito is a pipedream....get over him.....

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I like all the mentioned pitchers, but Maddux will like tthe fact that he is in a picher friendly park, close to home, and happy! hhhmmmm... sounds like a positive signing to me!!!! Nice job San Diego! Zito is nice, but wants too much $$$$ for a team like the Padres.

MLB ERA
    Exactly....and they could easily have very similar seasons...

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    especially if Zito goes to Texas for the big $$$. where pitchers go and struggle. Sorry, Molina. You know that I like your offense, but the pitching struggles there in Arlington.

MLB ERA
    Texas will kill Zito....his curve ball in that heat.....lol.....lets just call it a change up now

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Only ?? When did the offseason end ? Hell when did the winter meetings end for that matter....?? Oh yah, they haven't, and it's not.......

Let that sink in !!

Maddux is a better signing than Zito IMO simply from a dollar standpoint....it gives us more options and a 15 game 200 inning pitcher....add Mulder and we're dialed as far as a rotation goes, and nobody will have a rotation as good as us in this division.....Zito is a pipedream....get over him.....
    You've answered your own question: Zito, the ONLY remaining free agent worth being excited about in the formentioned past, is ONLY a pipedream, therefore we will ONLY have signed Maddux (as in the ONLY player worth mentioning that's left, unless a crippled Mulder excites you).

Free agency hasn't ended, but our hopes of actually spending the money we once were told would push us into a new era has.

On a brighter note, I refuse to believe our FO is this incompitnet and/or ownership is this greedy, and that in trun we will be higher in the Zito sweepstakes than most of you think. Unfortunately and in absurd contrasting beliefs, the negativity towards our chances of signing Zito around Padre fans everywhere has grown on me, thus depleting my faith in this offseasons results, while somehow not signing Zito and spending the moeny we have meant for spending is getting everyone else happy.

Strange world.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast