Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trust me, I really hate to say this.

Trust me, I really hate to say this.

But I told you so. I took the ridicule, was VERY gladly ready to accept my wrong notions when Alderson promised otherwise, but I f**king told you so.

Unless Zito and Schmidt and a few others are ALL signed, Moores looks to be pocketing at (the very) least 10 million dollars this offseason, ten million we will not likely be seeing ever again. I am so sick of hearing how all the signings that we could have made would have been stupid; it's called economics, my friends, inf;lation occurs EVERY season. Next season there may very likely be players even more valuable than Lee or Soriano or Ramirez, but guess what: they will also cost more than those three would have cost us.

It's great that we can all take the back seat and raise our chins in arrogant laughter at all the teams that "sheepishly" actually will spend money on bettering their team, but quite frankly I am absolutely sick and tired of this. Alderson's ego will not let himself complain about not being allowed to shop heavier, but I am positive that Moores had a large factor in us not doing anything thus far.

We have paid out of our goddamn taxes a lot of money to make Moores an even richer man, and we were promised a new era; new eras, ladies and gentlemen, aren't just eras that we actually don't lose 90 ballgames a year. New eras are just that, completely new: as in every aspect will be dangled in order to get u the best ballclub possible, every penny under Moores' profits will go to our city's team. And yet, here we are, making the same excuses, pointing the same fingers.

I guess Houston, whose bankroll is right around ours, is just so stupid for spending all the money they could on getting Pettite and Clemens a few years back after delivering upon THEIR promisesof the new stadium. I mean, come on, look what signing free agents did to them, huh? Those losers have only gone to the NL championship and world series since then.

Oh, and those stupid Mets, overpaying and trading for Delgado and Pedro and company; those same stupid Mets that made it to the NL championship last year after missing the playoffs for years and years.

I'm just completely fed up with this, and it's a shame that most of you aren't. You've all come to just "accept" that we won't TRY our hardest to deliver upon Moores' promises. Did anyone notice how Washington at least offered Soriano a deal, actually tried not to trade him and keep him around? What is so absurd about us, having a higher payroll AND open cash to make such an offer?

At this point, anything less than Zito signing is a failure, and even if Zito is the only one who signs, it is still less than I had hoped. Has money gone to Alderson to better our farm system? Yes, and I'm thrilled at the job he's done thus far, but at what point are we actually allowed to give ourselves a fair shot, huh? At what point do we join the new decade in actually trying to give ourselves the best possible chances of winning?

But what's the point when we can just trade talent on our team for other more needed talent, right? I mean, that makes a lot of sense: trade away your talent for other talent and just pocket the rest of the money, how convenient. That way, we'll have a good team next year, so most won't complain anyways.

It feels horrible being helpless, it feels horrible being lied to; but what's worse than anything is the fact that we continue to accept it. I'm done; if Moores does not give me an explination, there is no f**king chance in hell you will ever see me at another ballgame until he spends a fraction of his bank on the team comparible to my incomethe money I'd have to spend and it's percentage of my total net value is at least within the same percentage of what Moores SHOULD be spending on our team.

MLB ERA
    Actually, most agents nowadays get contracts which yearly adjust for inflation. Therefore, they get paid with money that has the same purchasing power as the original contract intended, strictly Economically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    Actually, most agents nowadays get contracts which yearly adjust for inflation. Therefore, they get paid with money that has the same purchasing power as the original contract intended, strictly Economically speaking.
    That's my point; our fans complain every season that baseball players and their contracts are getting out of control, when in all reality, Soriano's deal is exactly what he deserved: the fifth largest in baseball history, because, well, he is just that: probably the fifth most valuable player in baseball at this moment.

Your point is exactly that of mine: deals are large because they take into consideration the inflation of the future, thus demanding very large contracts, yet our organization refuses to recognize this as reality and thus feeds our fans with the crazy mindset that we "simply can't compete with larger markets".

MLB ERA
    Ok, I gotcha. I thought you meant that since there is inflation, the fact that deals are long term should mean making an expensive contract will actually be a better investment because the monetary difference will be in your favor.

Which, it isn't. The players have adjusted contracts, you are getting ****ed. A 17 million dollar contract isn't 17 mil, but the equivalent of 17 million in 2006 dollars. Whether that's 14.5 million, with a decline in economy, a huge decline, or ends up being about 20, a moderate inflation rise, he's getting his money.

But all the money is properly inflated, so, you're right, the proportion of contract to money earned is alway proportionate.

MLB ERA
    Profits are wrong.

MLB ERA
    **** your couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Profits are wrong.
    30 million lies for 30 million profits are very wrong.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Well like it or not, Moores owns the team, as such he's entitled to make as much as he wishes....

I for one don't think he's pocketing the money you claim he is....I think that's a bold accusation, and pretty insulting to the man....but you're entitled to your opinions however bitter and calous they are....

Word is that KT tried to contact Soriano's agent multiple times, and didn't even get a return call......Now I doubt we'd have given out a rediculous 8 year deal, but he may have at least made a run at him....would that have at least shown you something, even if we failed to sign him ? I think we're going to be players via trade....not sure who or what, or where, but I doubt highly that we're done....
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    What has Moores promised us that he hasn't provided....and I'm not really enjoying siding with him, but think about this for a minute....As of the end of the '06 season ....

-We've raised payroll every years since leaving the Q
    -We've had a competitive team on the field ever year since leaving the Q
    -We've won two NLWest titles since leaving the Q
    -We've strengthened our FO since leaving the Q
    -We've started to fix our farm system since leaving the Q
    -We've broadened our player search vastly since leaving the Q
    -We've gotten out from under backloaded and bad contracts since leaving the Q
    -We've put together a helluva young core since leaving the Q

What exactly was promised, that hasn't been provided so far ? Not a damn thing....Do I want more like you.......HELL YAH....but what exactly has Moores not done, that he said he'd do ?

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    What has Moores promised us that he hasn't provided....and I'm not really enjoying siding with him, but think about this for a minute....As of the end of the '06 season ....

-We've raised payroll every years since leaving the Q
    -We've had a competitive team on the field ever year since leaving the Q
    -We've won two NLWest titles since leaving the Q
    -We've strengthened our FO since leaving the Q
    -We've started to fix our farm system since leaving the Q
    -We've broadened our player search vastly since leaving the Q
    -We've gotten out from under backloaded and bad contracts since leaving the Q
    -We've put together a helluva young core since leaving the Q

What exactly was promised, that hasn't been provided so far ? Not a damn thing....Do I want more like you.......HELL YAH....but what exactly has Moores not done, that he said he'd do ?
    - Our payroll has never raised enough to match our rankings in ticket sales.

- Competitve from the likes of Towers and company, not from moores helping out in any way; unless you feel informing the team that he won't increase the budget even a penny during a playoff race to better the team is helpful. The teamates sure didn't think it was helpful, read their comments, but I guess they're just being CALLOUS too, RIDICULOUSLY CALLOUS (I don't usually knitpick spelling, but if you're going to use an uncommon word to insult me without any substance to support it, at least act as if you know what you're talking about).

- Hooray, one from the emergence of Hensley and the brilliance of Towers, and another from being in the worst division of all time. Again, where does Moores get any credit?

- You are very right about this one, our FO has gotten stronger, but only so Moores can get the team to perform better in the future for a lot cheaper by sticking with moneyball instead of combining the two to create what could be a juggernaut if he allowed Alderson the ampl funds.

- This is because of the top statement and only hinders your argument by obviously displaying your lack of other supportive facts.

- And again, see above.

- Yes, what did you expect, Klesko's contract was for eternity? How the hell does this involve even the FO?

- And once again, you repeat the same as above , "Our FO has gotten stronger".

Moores promised us his ebst efforts, to spend OUR ticket sales to his best ability on improving this team, and yet we are still in the middle of the pack in team salaries yet we are in the top ten in ticket sales; and even when NOT raising revenue, he isn't spending anything this season and next season our payroll will likely just increase to it's previous standard, leaving him one season with 10 or so extra million.

And yes, had we made any form of offer on the table for Soriano, you would not be reading any topic of the sort from me, for I wouldbe satisfied. the truth is they didn't do s**t, and if they had done s**t, they obviously didn't give enough of a s**t about it because they knew Moores wasn't going to back it up anyways.

So now we get to trade away talent that could be utilized by Alderson just so we don't have to "keep up to date" with all of these silly "competitve buyig teams". RIDICULOUS is right.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OBBoltsFan
    - Our payroll has never raised enough to match our rankings in ticket sales.

They never claimed it would

- Competitve from the likes of Towers and company, not from moores helping out in any way; unless you feel informing the team that he won't increase the budget even a penny during a playoff race to better the team is helpful. The teamates sure didn't think it was helpful, read their comments, but I guess they're just being CALLOUS too, RIDICULOUSLY CALLOUS (I don't usually knitpick spelling, but if you're going to use an uncommon word to insult me without any substance to support it, at least act as if you know what you're talking about).

If you think a typo or misspelled word in a forum is a sign of not knowing what someone is talking about where baseball is concerned, I suggest you check your own posts closer

- Hooray, one from the emergence of Hensley and the brilliance of Towers, and another from being in the worst division of all time. Again, where does Moores get any credit?

It's his team...as such the credit will always go to the top rung...it's a business, shit roles downhill, but cudo's go right to the top....

- You are very right about this one, our FO has gotten stronger, but only so Moores can get the team to perform better in the future for a lot cheaper by sticking with moneyball instead of combining the two to create what could be a juggernaut if he allowed Alderson the ampl funds.

By first strengthening the FO, and getting the farm system ironed out, the team will be stronger. By Moores spending money on a facility in the DR, this team should become stronger. By broadening our search for players, this team should become stronger....it's not an exact science, or instant fix, which from the sound of it is what you think you're entitled to.....

- Yes, what did you expect, Klesko's contract was for eternity? How the hell does this involve even the FO?

They were handcuffed by bad contracts.....that's how....not very hard to understand if you just step back or off your soapbox and deal in reality for a while....

Moores promised us his ebst efforts, to spend OUR ticket sales to his best ability on improving this team, and yet we are still in the middle of the pack in team salaries yet we are in the top ten in ticket sales; and even when NOT raising revenue, he isn't spending anything this season and next season our payroll will likely just increase to it's previous standard, leaving him one season with 10 or so extra million.

Middle of the pack in team salaries yes, and every year since Petco opened payroll has gone up....but it's not going to just shoot up as you think it should....again unrealistic....

And yes, had we made any form of offer on the table for Soriano, you would not be reading any topic of the sort from me, for I wouldbe satisfied. the truth is they didn't do s**t, and if they had done s**t, they obviously didn't give enough of a s**t about it because they knew Moores wasn't going to back it up anyways.

I happen to agree that they should have at least made a real run at Soriano, but now that we know what he got, I think you know that we had no chance....so why harp on this any further ???

So now we get to trade away talent that could be utilized by Alderson just so we don't have to "keep up to date" with all of these silly "competitve buyig teams". RIDICULOUS is right.

Exactly who are you talking about.....Barfield ? Hey I liked that kid also, but if you know baseball at all, you know that finding a guy to play 2nd base is abundantly easier than finding a quality 3bag, and from everything everyone says on the Indians staff and ours, Kouzmanoff is the read deal as far as hitting goes.....his glove needs work, but becoming a solid fielder can be learned
    Again....I would like to see more done....but to just accuse the ownership of not caring or pocketing all the profits, when you clearly don't know whats happening....that's just crazy talk....

MLB ERA
    Hey OBB....what was your screen name at SOSD ? Was it "Clippers / OBBF" by any chance ?

his first name there was OceanBeachBoltsFan
    after that got banned he made the Clippers name
    I think he had a few others...for the same reason.
    I was just curious......they are hammering some former posters on the SOSD forum.......and Clipper OBB is one of them.......I found it interesting since the post they are laughing about is a sky is falling post very similar to the one he posted in here not too long ago..... So again I suggest to OBB......it's early, you DON'T know what our final roster will be and you clearly don't know that Moores is pocketing our money with no intention of spending on payroll...with that here is the post I'm speaking of....

Originally Posted by Clippers / OBBF
    Just when you thought it was safe to start trusting the organization, we've been royally (literally, and metaphorically) screwed.

With signing Hoffman and handicapping our team to the behind of a 38 year old who throws 80 miles an hour, we now get to hear Moores talk about "that year of '06" where "abundances" of money was spent over the budget to put "our" team over the top.

Well my friends, we are certianly over the top with this incredible lineup:

Roberts (Bad, injury prone)
    Cameron (whopping career .240 hitter)
    Giles (Only good player)
    Castilla (all intimidating 8 HRs last season)
    Klesko (No comment necessary)
    Greene (another .250 season with enough K's to put Alabama to shame)
    Mirabelli (No comment necessary)
    Barfield (rookie)

Not to mention this incredible starting rotation:

Peavy
    Eaton
    ?
    ?
    ?

And to top it off, WE GOT THE BEST BULLPEN IN THE NL WEST! Awesome!

We have now become the Detroit Lions of baseball; ridiculously awful team with one shining spot: the ever useful, offensively and defensively, bullpen (like the Lions' WRs).

And the best part about it, we have no money to improve anything else! Man, this is peachy.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Look, I think a lot of us are frustrated because this Front Office has given us ZERO indication that they're doing anything to make this team better than last season. The only reason I'm not jumping off the bridge just yet, is because I'm going to wait until the Winter Meetings. From what I've been hearing, that's when things are going to go down.

From what I've heard, Loretta is the leading candidate to be back in San Diego as the 2nd baseman. There is a possibility that the Padres could pose a Linebrink/Giles for Manny trade to Boston. If can't get Manny, their next target in Boston could be Willy Mo Pena. The Front Office is waiting to see what Oakland offers Piazza before they match it or let him go. Because the way the negotiations are going between Boston and Matsuzaka's agent (Boras), Zito could be out of their price range, not to mean they won't try to negotiate a "hometown" deal. Jason Schmidt could, COULD, be interested in San Diego only to stick it to San Francisco, but his first choice is Seattle, close to where he grew up.

None of the above could come true, but don't be surprised if there are a few names that don Padre uniforms during the Winter Meetings or shortly thereafter.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA
    I heard a rumor today on 1090 of Giles/Linebrink/Greene for Manny/Wily Mo......

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

PFF, I wouldn't be surprised if that deal is at least put in the thoughts of Theo Epstein. I think that deal would be giving up too much on the Padres side, but think about it, Manny would be that "power bat" in left field that the Front Office has been talking about. But, if you make that deal, you have to fill right field, short and 2nd base. I've been hearing the name Craig Counsell still floated about to play short if the Padres do trade Greene. Counsell could fit that leadoff role, though doesn't have the speed of a normal leadoff man.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)